What method do you use? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
What method do you use?

So the big day is fast approaching - (the part where I actually fill my tank with water and plant it instead of talking and dreaming about it ) and I find myself unsure as to the best way to go about it. It's 5 foot, fairly heavily planted (well, it will be soon ), MTS capped with a few inches of 3ml gravel.

Do you put a couple of inches of water in and plant while keeping the plants misted; do you half fill the tank and plant, or do you mostly fill it and then plant? Which method is the best?

Regards, Kara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 06:07 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Depending on the plant and the size of the tank, I like to fill just a few inches to plant. Or fill just enough to keep the plants submerged when planted. It keeps my arm dry, and makes things easier in my opinion. This is especially true for big tanks.

Regardless of how you do it, though, it can be a pain. More so the bigger the tank, and it's backbreaking, monotonous, time-consuming labor if you intend to plant a carpet. Good luck!

Feeling adventurous? Maybe check out my current
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 06:16 AM
Algae Grower

The method that I find worked well for me, was put all the soil and everything in, then put the plants in, and add water. Or fill about 1" past the substrate. The problem is, when you plant everything, the substrate gets stirred up quite a bit. That's why it's easier to plant first on most cases.

When you add the water, hold your hand in the tank and pour the water slowly onto your hand, so it spreads evenly and doesn't penetrate into the substrate, causing major cloudiness. But you probably knew that one already!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Acula View Post
Depending on the plant and the size of the tank, I like to fill just a few inches to plant. Or fill just enough to keep the plants submerged when planted. It keeps my arm dry, and makes things easier in my opinion. This is especially true for big tanks.

Regardless of how you do it, though, it can be a pain. More so the bigger the tank, and it's backbreaking, monotonous, time-consuming labor if you intend to plant a carpet. Good luck!
The way you put it, it sounds like I'm going to need it! At least there'll be no carpet plants as such - only low/med light and no co2 limits that one a bit. I'll prob plant a fair bit of E. tenellus in the foreground, but at least its not like HC or anything. I'll also be planting crypts, swords, val, lotus, some lud, hygro etc and tying on java ferns and anubias to rocks and driftwood. No real fiddly little stems or carpet, so hopefully it shouldn't be too bad. But I think you're gonna be right about the backbreaking part, I have to stand on a stool to comfortably reach the bottom....I'm setting aside a whole day for it, so it better not take longer than that!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoh View Post
The method that I find worked well for me, was put all the soil and everything in, then put the plants in, and add water. Or fill about 1" past the substrate. The problem is, when you plant everything, the substrate gets stirred up quite a bit. That's why it's easier to plant first on most cases.

When you add the water, hold your hand in the tank and pour the water slowly onto your hand, so it spreads evenly and doesn't penetrate into the substrate, causing major cloudiness. But you probably knew that one already!
Yes, but thanks anyway I've got 2 - 4 inches of gravel on top of my MTS, so I'm not expecting to stir up the MTS too much, so hopefully it won't be too cloudy, but we'll see!

I think I'll start with filling the tank up to just above the substrate and see how that goes. Thanks guys.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 12:35 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (29/100%)
---------

Last edited by mightyoak; 04-11-2010 at 07:08 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 06:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Good luck! I just put in hair grass and Marsilea in my 5 foot tank and it was fun. Somehow I remembered my planting technique and it went very smoothly. Even though I planted about 1/3 the tank with those fiddly plants it only took 2 hours start to finish. No achy back, just wrinkly fingers! I was very surprised.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Awesome! I'd love to see a photo!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode