Near Death Experience - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 4 Post By Tampa Tony

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Near Death Experience

Yesterday there was an emergency at work that required me to stay the night into the early afternoon today. Upon returning home, like always, I go to my tank to check and admire the Flora and Fauna. However, today was different.

My CPD's were listing and struggling to breathe. My shrimp looked already dead. Scrambling to find out what happened and do an emergency water change I noticed my return had fallen.

My tank was blasting Co2 with no surface agitation. I left the water level lowered and let the water re-oxyginate. The CPD's rebounded in about 30 mins. Shrimp look ok but not in the clear yet, still acting lethargic.

The other day I rushed through my tank trimming and cleaning and didn't take my time to make sure everything is on correct. So my point is, take your time and do your job right the first time. Don't make the same mistake I did.

Cheers

Don't complicate things, simplify them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 08:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Close call, Tony. It could have been much worse, but it looks like you dodged a bullet, as long as your shrimp perk up. Good luck with the shrimp recovering 100%; I'm not sure what is involved with long-term care for brain-damaged shrimp, but I do know that long-term care and rehab are always expensive.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Haha maybe lack of oxygen will re-wire them and make them smarter like how every super hero gets their powers. Or at least, they will stop riding my snails like horses

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 11:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Patience is definitely the most important trait for any aspect of fishkeeping. But don't feel too bad. All of us, even Amano, have had gassing incidents at some point. At least your fish have clearly made it through.

However I do find issue with the commonplace recommendation to blast CO2 as high as the livestock will take it - this means your tank is always on the precipice of disaster, and even when things seem 'fine' the livestock are likely stressed anyways. Find the highest flow rate needed to support healthy (not necessarily fast) plant growth given your lighting and nutrient availability, and keep it at that. Also circulation is very important. You can be pumping ungodly amounts of gas into the tank and your plants may still not be getting enough if your circulation in inadequate.

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 03:16 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You startled me Tony! I thought YOU were in danger lol.

Stay safe regardless.

The Fraternity of Dirt #169

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode