help my new discus arent looking good - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
help my new discus arent looking good

i just got 5 juvenile discus today all around 4 inches

i got them home and introduced them to the tank over a good hour

the tank has been running for 3 months with zero deaths from any tetras or corys and my keyhole cichlid are absolutely fine
the temp is at 28

i had done a 50% water change 4 hours before i collected them as usual as its a heavily planted tank
im running co2 in via a external inline reactor
substrate is eco complete

for the first 4 hours they kind of hid away and i was expecting this anyway and then moving into the evening they started exploring the tank and all seemed well

its now nearly 10pm and they are not looking good

2 are at the bottom of the tank kind of resting there one is resting amongst my java fern and one is on its side at the bottom?

they were in the same ph as i have in the store tank so im guessing its not a ph shock?

help

sunsun pimp number 4

40L shrimp colony
180L community planted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 10:03 PM
GTR
Banned

PTrader: (13/100%)
I'd go without the CO2 and reduce the amount and duration of the light for a while. Were they in a tank with substrate when you bought them? I ask that because many stores here keep them in bare bottom tanks.

SteveU

Sent from my old-fashion computer with eight fingers on the home keys.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post
I'd go without the CO2 and reduce the amount and duration of the light for a while. Were they in a tank with substrate when you bought them? I ask that because many stores here keep them in bare bottom tanks.

SteveU
yes but it was sand

ive just turned off the co2 and set the output to disturb the surface to try and get some oxygen in there

really dont know what else it could be other than lack of oxygen?

sunsun pimp number 4

40L shrimp colony
180L community planted

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 10:30 PM
GTR
Banned

Could be KH or GH. I'm far from an expert on any fish and my experiences with discus never ended happy. So much of the stock available here is raised in tanks with nothing at all in them. Then we bring them home and they must compete with other fish. I'd assume that's not your problem yet.

SteveU

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i have done a 150l water change so im hoping ive reduced the co2 in the water quite a bit and at the same time re-oxygenated the water but im not sure if they will make it

the one that was on its side is now upright but they are all still just resting against stuff so i will just have to wait now and see if they recover

sunsun pimp number 4

40L shrimp colony
180L community planted
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 11:05 PM
GTR
Banned

Good luck, hopefully they're just stressed from the move.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post
Good luck, hopefully they're just stressed from the move.
yeah the thing is ive had my co2 cranked as high as possible with the drop checker on constant yellow and all my small fish have been fine with it but i am guessing that the discus are struggling with that amount of carbon

the co2 is off now and since the water change the drop checker is reading green so hopefully they will fight through it but i know young discus are a bit frail

sunsun pimp number 4

40L shrimp colony
180L community planted
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 12:07 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Don't worry. Discus are shy and they take time to adjust to new environment. Mine didn't even eat for a long week.

55 Gal Tank with: Eheim 2213 Canister, Hydor Inline 300 Watts, 2X54 Watt (6,700K & 10,000K) T5 HO for 7 hrs, Excel for CO2
3 Discus, 4 Mollies, 2 Tetras, 2 SAE, 1 Pleco,1 Platy, 1 Zebra Danio, 1 Snail
1 Cryptocoryne, 1 Java Fern, 4-5 Unknown, Dwarf HG, Some baby tears
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 12:33 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to snoz0r
Almost all the of the new fish I ever buy do this. I've always attributed it to the fact that I use RO and the pet stores around here don't at all. Locally the water here is some of the hardest you could find anywhere, so the switch is probably touchy to them. That and the combination of high Co2 levels.

I ALWAYS drip acclimate for hours, 4 or more before introducing new fish to my tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
click above for my tank journal - Eheim Pimp Club #357 - SunSun Pimp #3
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 12:52 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to ldk59
I would attribute the behaviour to stress resulting from the move combined with an inadequate
acclimation period (Discus seem to do better when given a much longer acclimation period)

I know it's a bit late to give you this advice now, but I would recommend 3 to 6 hour acclimation for new discus... longer is better.

Under the present circumstances I'd say your going to be ok... the advice you've been given & the measures you've taken are correct. Give them a week or so to settle in... they should be fine.
(matching their diet and feeding schedule from the LFS would help as well)

HTH

Larry
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i came down this morning and woohoooo they are all perky as anything moving much faster and more deliberate and in a tight pack of 5

last night when i switched off the lights they were at all ends of the tank and still not moving now there all looking considerably better

i think i will keep the light off all day today to let them settle down ,if the move didnt shock them then being starved of oxygen definately would have cuased some truama

sunsun pimp number 4

40L shrimp colony
180L community planted
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 06:40 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Nice!! And, *whew!*

What kind of plant load do you have in your tank? I'm planning a similar path (bringing 5 or juvenile discus into my heavily planted tank) and have pale yellow drop checker CO2 as well, but I also have massive pearling (it's kinda annoying at times) so I know there is plenty of O2 in there for the fish.

Also, if you know, what are your KH/GH values?
Regards,

Will
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 07:14 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

discus don't like much light, so you will need a timer on the lights if you don't have one. and should of QT, they might of gone though a mini shock.

forum.simplydiscus.com

Thanks, Joey. tanks-CUBE of different sizes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 07:42 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I agree with ldk -- its most likely stress. When I had my discus tanks running, I had to sneak in the room and hide behind a chair just to see the discus! Dither fish encouraged them to come out. However once I did a partial water change, they were back to hiding.

Leave a light on in the room to prevent them from freaking out when you turn off the tank lights.

Lastly, pay close attention to their stomachs. Make sure they don't go on any hunger strikes. First sign of trouble is a pinched off gut.

Good luck!

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbldrco View Post
Nice!! And, *whew!*

What kind of plant load do you have in your tank? I'm planning a similar path (bringing 5 or juvenile discus into my heavily planted tank) and have pale yellow drop checker CO2 as well, but I also have massive pearling (it's kinda annoying at times) so I know there is plenty of O2 in there for the fish.

Also, if you know, what are your KH/GH values?
Regards,

Will
here is my tank to give you some idea of the plant load
theres about 200 javas 20 whisteria a carpet of hairgrass and micro swords and 4 large rubra lillies

dont know the water values im a firm believer in not messin around with test kits ive never tested a tank after my first setup and ive never had a fish die since i started so not bad going

however i may need to start getting scientific now im housing discus

one bit of advice from last nights episode is drop the co2 altogether for the first few days and then gradually introduce it back in with an eagle eye

im almost 100% it was saturation of co2 that was the cause
ive never seen a stressed fish lay on its side especially not all 5 at the same time
i think they just ran out of oxygen being that they would need to draw a whole lot more from the water column as apposed to the tetras and corys

and yes i think the short acclimatising was a big factor too
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 247.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	19769  

sunsun pimp number 4

40L shrimp colony
180L community planted

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode