Should I put back my air bubbler? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Should I put back my air bubbler?

I have a 55 gal with some discus and plants. I was using air bubbler until 2 weeks back. Because the air pump was noisy, I removed it. Instead, I pushed the spray bar a little up to create some agitation in water. That became noisy too and I submerged the spray bar few days ago.

Now, my fish (mollies and even discus) are at the surface gasping for air (most of the time). My temp is at 82 and use excel for CO2. I don't know what to do. Will they be fine? Should I get a new quiet air pump? Any suggestions on the pumps?

Thanks.

55 Gal Tank with: Eheim 2213 Canister, Hydor Inline 300 Watts, 2X54 Watt (6,700K & 10,000K) T5 HO for 7 hrs, Excel for CO2
3 Discus, 4 Mollies, 2 Tetras, 2 SAE, 1 Pleco,1 Platy, 1 Zebra Danio, 1 Snail
1 Cryptocoryne, 1 Java Fern, 4-5 Unknown, Dwarf HG, Some baby tears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 05:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (59/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chhabi19 View Post
Should I get a new quiet air pump? Any suggestions on the pumps?
Thanks.
I haven't seen any quiet air pump so far. i would put Elite mini filter all the way up close to the surface with the sponge removed and the flow at max, that will draw air inside your tank with less noise.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 05:27 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
maybe try puuting spray bar in vertically at at an angle pointing in other direction , like on back right wall faceing middle of front glass...this might help with water circulation and maybe helpwith oxygen i ahve no surface agitation and Co2 runnin at night and my fish seem very very happy at night w/o a bubbler , but my Co2 is DIY powerhead so maybe y this works for me versus no bubbler running pressurized CO2 at night

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 06:33 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chhabi19 View Post
Should I get a new quiet air pump? Any suggestions on the pumps?.
I read in another thread that someone purchased an Eheim air pump and said it was whisper quiet and they were very happy with it. Maybe ask around about them?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 10:41 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
If fish are gasping at surface, this indicates that there isn't enough oxygen dissolved in the water, and that they are suffocating.
I would run the spraybar just below the surface, and angled just slightly up, to agitate the water surface. I do this in all three of my tanks, and the fish seem very comfortable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
30 gallon w/White Clouds and Firebelly Newt, Tetra Viqarium w/18 watts lighting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
55 gallon w Diamond Tetras, Neon Tetras, and Bronze Cories, Marineland 660 powerhead on a Filter-Max V Pro, EcoComplete w/30 watts lighting and DIY CO2.

75 gallon w/ Senegal Bichirs, Marineland 660 powerhead on a Filter-Max V Pro, EcoComplete w/30 watts lighting, and DIY CO2.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 06:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
First, put it back in use until you try some options. No need to wait and lose a fish as you experiment.

Second, is your water surface coevered with protein scum? Eliminating that may help. Would also indicate too little surface agitation.

Eheim Pimp Club member #414, 2076 Pro 3e
Fluval G6
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks guys.

I have my spraybar pushing water from the back of the tank to the front in a 45 degree angle downwards. So, there is water circulation.

Since air pump is less noisier than the noise from the spraybar, I will put back the pump until I figure out other options.

55 Gal Tank with: Eheim 2213 Canister, Hydor Inline 300 Watts, 2X54 Watt (6,700K & 10,000K) T5 HO for 7 hrs, Excel for CO2
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I tried to find the Eheim Air pumps online. I found that only a handful British companies are selling them online. I don't want to pay too much in shipping. Does anyone know if I can get them in US? Where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamivy View Post
I read in another thread that someone purchased an Eheim air pump and said it was whisper quiet and they were very happy with it. Maybe ask around about them?

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 04:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
You don't need bubbles, you need movement at the water's surface. Just angle the spray bar so enough water goes up to make ripples on the surface. I suspect angling it on the glass will work best, just one hole near the surface the the rest of the bar moving water lower in the tank. My 50 year old aquarium book reads that bubbles don't add O2, water surface movement does.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 05:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Heres an idea, Get you 2 pieces of thickish foam Cut it out so that the top and bottom pieces make a box around the entire airpump. wrap a piece of tape around it to hold the foam around the pump and There you are -- a silencer for your airpump! I did this on a 10g to keep it from rattleing against the wall. worked flawlessly and significantly cut back on the noise/hum. Make sure the foam you use has holes in it that allows air to pass through.

Try it, worse case your out a little foam.

Or id get a Mini powerhead (someone else mentioned this above) I found a mini internal filter rated for up to 15g for only $10 at my LFS. remove teh filter and place at the top of the tank. It works great for surface agitation and is VERY small
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 02:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

have you tried to bolt it down against something. i have a super cheap aqua culture air pump from walmart, that i simply bolted down using the eyelet it has built into it. I screwed it into the side of my stand and between being secured down and the rubberized feet it is almost silent.

SunSun Pimp #2
Fluval Ebi Pimp #4
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 08:02 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
i got an older rena 100 i got for $1.00 in a thrift shop, i use it in my 55 gal in my bedroom it's nice a quite and will push to airstones

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode