dryer vibrations - The Planted Tank Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
dryer vibrations

I am desperate to set up a quarantine tank for 20 cardinal tetras that I need to keep for about 6 weeks before putting them in my discus tank.
The only spot I have left is on top of the dryer in my laundry room.I live alone so I can do this,it is a 20 long that fits perfectly with less than a 1/4 inch overhang on top of the dryer.As I am a man living alone I do my wash once a week not including bedding so it is used about 6-7 times a month,does anyone have an opinion on vibrations causing any problems with the tank,the fish will probably get off on it lol...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 09:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'd say set up the tank on the floor someplace. A 20 gal long is going to weigh about 175+ pounds. and this it likely more that the dryer can hold with out damage. In addition, if you have a leak in the tank, it's going to go into a major appliance that runs on 220v power. This is not something you want to mess around with.

Generally, I'd say your idea is not a good one, even before we consider the vibration.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 09:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Second^

Everyone follows a Trend!
Their is always light at the end of the tunnel, That's when the train Hit's You!

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 11:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Third ^

That's just asking for trouble...

Askhole :

Someone who asks for advice, then does the exact opposite.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 11:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Ya not a good idea...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the replies but after checking it closer I am going to give it a try.The weight thing is not really an issue this is a solid steel dryer that held two 200 lb guys doing my electric update and the water and electric thing is avoidable because the outlet sits on a pedestal two feet off the floor and way to one side of the dryer.I thank you for the replies but at 70 yrs,old can't use the floor and have no choice.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 09:20 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
You can buy some concrete blocks. Stack them to your desired height. Place your tub/tank.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 03:30 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Kitchen counters make great tank stands.

I'd do a test run with just water in the tank and run a load in the dryer with the most amount of wet clothes you will ever dry. The more clothes (especially wet), the more weight will be shifted around during drying. Then see how the tank reacts to ALL of the movements the dryer makes, then make an educated decision. The tank weight might actually buffer some of that vibration.

Personally, I wouldn't do it but I'm also one to try my damndest to make my hobbies work for me so I understand your dilemma. Like I said though, kitchen counters make great stands.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyRob View Post
Kitchen counters make great tank stands.

I'd do a test run with just water in the tank and run a load in the dryer with the most amount of wet clothes you will ever dry. The more clothes (especially wet), the more weight will be shifted around during drying. Then see how the tank reacts to ALL of the movements the dryer makes, then make an educated decision. The tank weight might actually buffer some of that vibration.

Personally, I wouldn't do it but I'm also one to try my damndest to make my hobbies work for me so I understand your dilemma. Like I said though, kitchen counters make great stands.
Hi Ry Rob,yea I wish I had the room in the kitchen but no way to work that out same with the cinder block.What I did was get a solid wood shelf 1 inch thick with the same dimensions as the tank for more buffer and filled the tank and ran 2 loads of clothes and honestly there was very little movement of the water so I think I will give it a try.thanks
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 02:50 PM
Algae Grower

What about heat from the dryer? Idk about yours but mine gives off a ton and coupled with a small room it gets pretty toasty. Not sure if that fluctuation would stress the fish at all...

Good luck!
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booter View Post
What about heat from the dryer? Idk about yours but mine gives off a ton and coupled with a small room it gets pretty toasty. Not sure if that fluctuation would stress the fish at all...

Good luck!
Hi booter,that was my first test and the dryer is well vented and after an hour of running a measuring cup with 2 cups of water and a digital thermometer their was no temp. change.
Thanks
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 04:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It may seem like I'm obsessed with this suggestion, since I just recently made it on another thread, but I really don't think it can be mentioned too many times, especially being that it's cheap, easy, often overlooked and can save a world of headaches and potentially expensive damages down the line, but I highly recommend that you place a 1/2" to 1" piece of Styrofoam between the tank and whatever surface is supporting it, especially if what you're using was not designed specifically for holding an aquarium (and also even if it is). The top of the dryer, no matter how strong, was not designed to NOT flex under weight, and even a 1" board will flex under load. The layer of Styrofoam absorbs any irregularities in the supporting surface and prevents stress points from causing the glass to crack or a seam to let go. Aquariums are durable only IF the high pressure demands placed on them are distributed evenly.

Do that and I can't imagine any other reason to not go ahead with putting your tank there.

Olskule
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olskule View Post
It may seem like I'm obsessed with this suggestion, since I just recently made it on another thread, but I really don't think it can be mentioned too many times, especially being that it's cheap, easy, often overlooked and can save a world of headaches and potentially expensive damages down the line, but I highly recommend that you place a 1/2" to 1" piece of Styrofoam between the tank and whatever surface is supporting it, especially if what you're using was not designed specifically for holding an aquarium (and also even if it is). The top of the dryer, no matter how strong, was not designed to NOT flex under weight, and even a 1" board will flex under load. The layer of Styrofoam absorbs any irregularities in the supporting surface and prevents stress points from causing the glass to crack or a seam to let go. Aquariums are durable only IF the high pressure demands placed on them are distributed evenly.

Do that and I can't imagine any other reason to not go ahead with putting your tank there.

Olskule
Thanks for your suggestion and sounds like a good idea glad you showed up before the final filling lol
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 01:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I will warn though about the styrofoam. if your tank has a bottom rim where the glass is raised. Styrofoam will not help you but will create pressure points more than a sheet of plywood and can bust your tank. Styrofoam really is for rimless tanks and acrylic tanks. the tanks with rims are designed to be ridged and can handle uneven surfaces to a degree. but the foam will make it twist and contort and cause undue stress that will eventually cause the tank to fail. you best search foam and rimed tanks and the effects their are a lot of discussions on the subject.

Everyone follows a Trend!
Their is always light at the end of the tunnel, That's when the train Hit's You!
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelingFire View Post
I will warn though about the styrofoam. if your tank has a bottom rim where the glass is raised. Styrofoam will not help you but will create pressure points more than a sheet of plywood and can bust your tank. Styrofoam really is for rimless tanks and acrylic tanks. the tanks with rims are designed to be ridged and can handle uneven surfaces to a degree. but the foam will make it twist and contort and cause undue stress that will eventually cause the tank to fail. you best search foam and rimed tanks and the effects their are a lot of discussions on the subject.
Thanks will research that.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode