What do you use to paint the back of a tank? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question What do you use to paint the back of a tank?

I want to paint the back of my 20L black. What type of paint should I use to do this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 02:09 AM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
Krylon

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 02:09 AM
Banned

I just roll on flat black latex. I think I've seen others saying they spray but I can't remember whether they use krylon or something else. Also you can get vinyl sheet and squeegee it on so it just peels off if you change your mind. The latex is easy to remove with a razor blade though.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 02:59 AM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Just an FYI, look up "Plasti dip". this is a type of spray paint but it is more of a plastic coating. It is 100% water proof but it is easily removable if you want to take it off. It also comes in many colors. Also, if you want to explore your artistic abilities get some flat black and some dark grey and mix it up some. If you dont like it, peel it off and try again.

Another friend of mine perfected the stained glass look using some type of spray paint. Very cool looking but must be removed with a razor blade.

http://www.aquariumforum.com/f45/pai...und-81505.html
AbbeysDad and AbbeysDad like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters

Last edited by Immortal1; 07-01-2016 at 03:11 AM. Reason: /
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 03:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

I used black plasti dip spray on a 10g I have.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank w/40g sump.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 04:02 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Hi there! I just painted my 15 gallon aquarium about two months ago and it turned out really well! Are used flat black latex paint from my local hardware store and a roller. The warhead I use that was very fine since I was applying latex paint to a smooth surface. I also taped around the borders sure that I didn't inadvertently picked something I didn't want to. After three coats painting at 90 from the subsequent coach I let it dry for about a day and was very pleased with the results. Hope this helps
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 04:38 AM
Algae Grower

I just use whatever kind of latex paint is the cheapest. The little sponge rollers that are used for edging work well for applying it. Normally takes me 3-4 coats.

I sponge painted one of my tanks before to give it a little more of a texturized look. It turned out pretty cool. With specialty techniques like this, just remember to paint in the opposite order you paint on a wall. In this case sponge paint first, then paint the solid layer on afterward.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 08:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I opted to go with black acrylic paint instead--matte finish. Took about 3 coats but the results are excellent and it comes off with a razor blade even easier than latex. I also used the cheapo sponge rollers and they do a pretty good job.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 10:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I really, really, really like deep navy blue for my tanks if I were to paint more of them.
It makes my light coloured and silvery fishes pop a lot. Also looks great with glofish.
In person it just looks so much better than black.

BUUUUT, if I had the money I'd get one of those nice 3D foam backgrounds off e bay

Everything except the 5 large rocks is foam.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 02:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Just an FYI, look up "Plasti dip". this is a type of spray paint but it is more of a plastic coating. It is 100% water proof but it is easily removable if you want to take it off. It also comes in many colors. Also, if you want to explore your artistic abilities get some flat black and some dark grey and mix it up some. If you dont like it, peel it off and try again.

Another friend of mine perfected the stained glass look using some type of spray paint. Very cool looking but must be removed with a razor blade.

painted crystal background - Aquarium Forum

That's a blast from the past. I use to paint my stainless frame 10 gallon tanks with the crystalizing stuff (usually that same blue color) in the late 60's!

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post

http://www.aquariumforum.com/f45/pai...und-81505.html

That's a blast from the past. I use to paint my stainless frame 10 gallon tanks with the crystalizing stuff (usually that same blue color) in the late 60's!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 02:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Any cheap acrylic paint from JoAnn's, Micheal's, or any other arts and crafts store. Takes about 3 coats with a smooth 4" foam roller.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 02:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post

Bump:

I think that was fairly common in those days,I used the red to paint a guitar with that too.I used to see it a lot in lfs's back then.

MTS? no,I just need one more tank...
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 04:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
All my mom's stainless steel framed tanks were painted with the "crystal stuff". I still had them all until my ex-wife burned my house down a few years ago.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 07:31 PM
Algae Grower

I used krylon. Doesn't have to be fusion (the one that's safe to be in your aquarium) any black spray paint will do. Just make sure you completely seal the lid so no paint gets sprayed inside the tank. I just used lots of masking tape. Remember when spray painting, don't just glob it on. Spray a thin layer, just enough to have light paint freckling. Then wait ten minutes and do another coat. Repeat until it's solid black. You will have 0 runs and a nice solid background . The last layer you can spray a little more than usual and you can test it with a flashlight when it's dry to see if there's any thin spots you can touch up.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode