dwarf frogs and ants ^^ - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
dwarf frogs and ants ^^

so since it has gotten warmer my house has been attacked by ants , some have been crawling onto my xlg brady bowl with two dwarf frogs in it . they ahve been eating the black ants , (very small black ants) they seem to love them , they are fatter then ever , and maye even happier since kinda like natural foraging ^^ i see them staring up all the time now. are the ants bad for them in long run? i ahve not been spraying any ants for pesticides in this area so not to contaminate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 04:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
guess its just the colorado way but if i had any type of bug noticeably in my house i would be spraying /bug bombing like crazy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SunSun Pimp #2
Fluval Ebi Pimp #4
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 04:56 AM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
personally I spray for ants but if theyre getting "natural" food then the nutrient value of it cant be beat! Plus your saveing $$ on food. my frogs always loved worms from the yard too and on a dewey morn youll get a years worth of em.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 05:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Personally, I'd find out how these ants are getting into the house and plug it up.

Tony

My

and my

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

lol this si in the country of tennessee thier is not getting rid of ants lol , they don't sawrm bad to my fish tank or frog bowl ,. but just a little stream of them , and i don't want o bomb or spray because i love my fish and frogs more then i hate ants , especially when my fish and frogs seem to love them ^^
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

plus the most nuisance i get from the frog bowl is smashin the snat with my finger on occasion and leaving nasty blotch on glasstop computer desk >.<
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 06:20 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
On Easter I was at my cousin's house (S. Side of Denver) and she freaked when we saw a swarm of black ants on her kitchen floor near her back door. She brushed them out and closed the door.

The next day, I was shocked to see some in my kitchen (I live in Boulder, CO)!! I had the door open, but the screen door was shut. Then during work, a colleague who was working from home in Longmont, CO sent me an IM: "There are a bunch of baby black ants in my garage."

I was born and raised here and have see baby black ant swarms before outside (usually just a little pile of them along the sidewalk), but I've never heard of a coordinated Easter swarm like this year!

Weird..

Will
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 12:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (29/100%)
Another Colorado boy chiming in...

Black ants by my back door last week. Had to get the spray out and terminate them.

For the frogs though I may have to get one of those ant farms and harvest them.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

i have been wanting to expirement with an ant farm for years now ^^ , maybe u mentioning it will finally get me on it
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 06:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
I just put a dusting of diatomaceous earth on the area the ants are entering and smash the ones in the house. Dries them up and they won't come back. Relatively non toxic, a breathing hazard for some people.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 10:31 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
ant farms are very difficult to do because of mold problems from ants storing food. on the other hand I also have some ant harvesting skills. they love lollipops. once theres a bunch on it smack it on a jar and cap it. lol. god gave us kids, kids gave our frogs ants.

My 65g jungle October rain
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

lol kids are great, ^^ i tried something today after post ^^ , drank a can of soda till about 10% sat outside .....about 45 minutes BINGO ant central , grabbed it , walked inside , gave a couple taps, adn BAM fed my frogs a yummy all natural food .

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode