Start out with stem plants and replace later? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Start out with stem plants and replace later?

I have a low light system. I read that I should plant fast growing stem plants to start out (to manage algae growth) and to slowly replace them with the specimens that I want to keep in the tank permanently as the tank settles. What do you all think? (I am a beginner with low light and no CO2.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 01:29 AM
Planted Member

I am shortly setting up a low light no co2 tank also, I am going to plant what I want straight off, but add fast growing stem plants as extras along with some floating nutrient suckers to use up any extra nutrients while my crypts and swords get going. It will save stirring the whole thing up again later, all I'll need to do is remove the stems. What are you using for substrate? I am using MTS, which has lots of nutrients, thus the need for nutrient suckers. If your only using something plain, it may not be such a problem for you.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 01:58 AM
Algae Grower

You could always pick some nice looking stems to start out with, that you may want in the finished tank. This way you could keep them trimmed back and they will keep the algae down. Then slowly add the plants you want after the tank has established itself. Good luck.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamivy View Post
I am shortly setting up a low light no co2 tank also, I am going to plant what I want straight off, but add fast growing stem plants as extras along with some floating nutrient suckers to use up any extra nutrients while my crypts and swords get going. It will save stirring the whole thing up again later, all I'll need to do is remove the stems. What are you using for substrate? I am using MTS, which has lots of nutrients, thus the need for nutrient suckers. If your only using something plain, it may not be such a problem for you.
I'm using Flourite.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 12:43 AM
Planted Member

That shouldn't be too bad - fluorite has mineral content, but no organic content. I'd be inclined to plant what you want and dump in some floating nutrient sponge plants till the tank settles in. It would save having to plant the whole thing out twice. But its your choice.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 05:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Problem is most stem plants do not grow under low light, and if they do it is too slow to have any impact. The idea of using fast growing stem plants to break in a new tank only works if they grow FAST, and to grow FAST you need bright light and Co2. A plants growth rate, metabolic rate has a direct coorelation to light intensisty

Robert Paul Hudson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kindness like love is unconditional
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert H View Post
Problem is most stem plants do not grow under low light, and if they do it is too slow to have any impact. The idea of using fast growing stem plants to break in a new tank only works if they grow FAST, and to grow FAST you need bright light and Co2. A plants growth rate, metabolic rate has a direct coorelation to light intensisty
That makes sense. I'll just plant it and go from there. Thanks everyone!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode