HOB and Sponge Filter questions?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
HOB and Sponge Filter questions??

Hi forum! So I picked up a hikari Bacto-Surge sponge filter for $1 from my LFS. I'm currently running two Aqueon quietflow 20s on my 29 gallon angelfish tank. I'm running the sponge (rated up to 40 gallons) with the two HOBs since I heard that sponge filters hold more BB than the HOBs. Question is can I just run one HOB and the sponge? Or should I go pick up another sponge and run 2 sponge filters (40 gallons each). I have angels and I heard they like calmer waters but I also want to over filter since I plan on adding a pleco soon (a bristle nose or maybe a clown). Also, if I just run two sponge filters will I have a problem with large waste accumulating? I do a weekly w/c and vacuum of about 45-50%. Any advice or siggestions? I'm going to let the sponge (s) run for about a month with the already established HOBS to get a good BB colony.

"Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened" ~ Anatole France
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 05:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Maybe add a sponge pre-filter to your hob like this: Filter Max Aquarium Sponge Pre Filter; Fits HOB, Canister, more. You can also diy. This has the added benefit of extending cleanings of your filter as you trap most of the detritus in your prefilter which is easily cleaned and rinsed in a bucket of used tank water.

75G Seachem Flourite

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20H Seachem Flourite with DIY Canopy/Cooling System

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

10G Low Tech Shrimp Tank - Archive

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedood View Post
Maybe add a sponge pre-filter to your hob like this: Filter Max Aquarium Sponge Pre Filter; Fits HOB, Canister, more. You can also diy. This has the added benefit of extending cleanings of your filter as you trap most of the detritus in your prefilter which is easily cleaned and rinsed in a bucket of used tank water.
The sponge I have is able to be attached to a filter intake tube. It's big though but maybe I can get it to fit.

"Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened" ~ Anatole France

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 07:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

That will work. Any sponge on the intake that fits tight enough the water goes through the sponge and up the intake will do the trick.

75G Seachem Flourite

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 07:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have that sponge prefilter on my intake tube. It is rather large but I'm hoping some plants will hide it soon. I've also put sponge media inside my HOB, I have a coarse and a fine one.

|
|
|
|
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thank you for the suggestions everyone. Is it even possible to run a 29 gallon tank (or any tank for that matter) on only sponge filters? I was just considering it due to the reduced electric costs and the simplicity. Also my HOBs are a little noisy.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 08:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

Yes you can indeed. As long as you dont need to remove tannins etc.

I think an air powered sponge will be noisy to a degree as well.

75G Seachem Flourite

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 09:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
If you have two or three, or if the one is big enough. I run mine on an airline, so for me getting it quiet meant finding a pump that doesn't rattle. For the noisy HOB, have you tried cleaning or replacing the impeller...?

|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode