Amazon and fish supply orders - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By jw.cS
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,116
Amazon and fish supply orders

I put in a order this afternoon. As usual, there is always that one thing that always seems to get around the 2 day delivery. I don't recall the site saying that the phosphate kit would be shipped on Wednesday, but apparently it is.

Anybody else go through this? This is the third time they've done this to me. If they had a pick-up closer to home, I'd just go get my orders, but I don't feel like going into Boston for a few test kits.

Last edited by Smooch; 09-16-2016 at 12:50 AM.
Smooch is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 04:57 AM
Planted Member
 
KingKoopa512's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 161
Yea it always happens to me ur not alone 😢

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk
KingKoopa512 is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 05:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Nlewis's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Northern Va
Posts: 2,406
Why are you buying PhosGuard? Just curious.

Just a noob


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nlewis is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 06:03 AM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 9
I have not had the issue you are describing regarding Amazon orders.
Perhaps I am missing something here. The info you have highlighted states the estimated delivery date not the shipping date.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
sewlady6 is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 06:56 AM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: .
Posts: 81
If Amazon lets me work from home then I would sell my car and say goodbye to humanity as I would no longer have any reason to leave the house.

Generally, Prime 2-day shipping applies to BUSINESS days: M-F, not Saturday or Sunday. Of course, there are exceptions depending on a whole lot of logistics. I've come to love Saturday deliveries, even though it's not included in the Prime membership. Thank you USPS for tolerating your annual loss so that I can enjoy my Lifesaver candies on Saturday instead of having to wait until Monday like an unpriviledged 3rd-world child. I've never gotten a single Sunday delivery even though the status shows as "Out for Delivery" only to end with some kind of problem by the end of the day. Hmmph! You'd think I live out in the boonies somewhere instead of smack dab in the middle of a major metropolis, complete with acid rain and air that'll kill you. But hey: Sunday delivery is a priviledge, not a right. If a delivery is not made within 2 business days however, then you can file a complaint and get an extension on your Prime membership.

Anywhooooooo, back to your scenario. You placed an order on Saturday and got 3 products promised for Monday delivery: WOOO HOOOOO!!! Because technically, you shouldn't get them until Wednesday: (1) orders placed on the weekends are seen as being placed on Monday and (2) with 2-day Prime means they'll get delivered by Wednesday. I've checked all 4 of your items and none were qualified for special free One-Day-Delivery (not that this makes sense since I don't live in your state)...so the fact that you got them for Monday is a testament to the power of Amazon's shipping logistics and why it strikes fear in all its competitors. Eww!

...unless there's something else that I've missed. Then, sorry.
jw.cS is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlewis View Post
Why are you buying PhosGuard? Just curious.
Because the phosphates in my 10 and 29 were sky high and it was irritating me.

Long store short, the Seachem pH Regulator I used for a long time leeched into the sponges and such in my filters, so when I did water changes, filter cleanings, ect... the levels never came down like they should.

It remains a mystery how long it will take to get phosphate levels down to a tolerable level as I started using the Phoguard yesterday afternoon. This morning phosphate levels are coming down, but the real test will be when I remove the Phosguard entirely. Will levels increase again, or will it be gone?

If I had extra, cycled filter media around, I'd just swap it out, but I don't so getting that crap out of my tanks is going to take awhile.

I don't have this problem in the 5.5 gallon because I never used pH Regulator in that. I started the tank with crushed coral, so phosphate levels behave like they should when water changes are done, when I dose, ect...

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw.cS View Post
If Amazon lets me work from home then I would sell my car and say goodbye to humanity as I would no longer have any reason to leave the house.

Generally, Prime 2-day shipping applies to BUSINESS days: M-F, not Saturday or Sunday. Of course, there are exceptions depending on a whole lot of logistics. I've come to love Saturday deliveries, even though it's not included in the Prime membership. Thank you USPS for tolerating your annual loss so that I can enjoy my Lifesaver candies on Saturday instead of having to wait until Monday like an unpriviledged 3rd-world child. I've never gotten a single Sunday delivery even though the status shows as "Out for Delivery" only to end with some kind of problem by the end of the day. Hmmph! You'd think I live out in the boonies somewhere instead of smack dab in the middle of a major metropolis, complete with acid rain and air that'll kill you. But hey: Sunday delivery is a priviledge, not a right. If a delivery is not made within 2 business days however, then you can file a complaint and get an extension on your Prime membership.

Anywhooooooo, back to your scenario. You placed an order on Saturday and got 3 products promised for Monday delivery: WOOO HOOOOO!!! Because technically, you shouldn't get them until Wednesday: (1) orders placed on the weekends are seen as being placed on Monday and (2) with 2-day Prime means they'll get delivered by Wednesday. I've checked all 4 of your items and none were qualified for special free One-Day-Delivery (not that this makes sense since I don't live in your state)...so the fact that you got them for Monday is a testament to the power of Amazon's shipping logistics and why it strikes fear in all its competitors. Eww!

...unless there's something else that I've missed. Then, sorry.
You lost me at the acid rain.

The post office here delivers on Saturdays. They deliver Amazon orders, express mail, ect... on Sundays. I'm fine with the Monday delivery date, I'm not okay with the 4 day delivery date of the Phoguard. I don't need it at the moment, however, that is not the point. I paid to be a Prime member and expect Amazon to deliver as promised.

Ironically, this kind of thing only happens when I order fish stuff. They didn't seem to have a hard time shipping out the VitaMix I ordered not all that long ago.
Smooch is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 01:30 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
AbbeysDad's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Central New York, USA
Posts: 1,360
When I look this up it clearly says 'Prime (4-5 days)'. So you don't pay for shipping, but it's gonna be more than just 2 days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6-26-2016 9-27-04 AM.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	646770  


Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.


What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AbbeysDad is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 01:30 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: .
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooch View Post
You lost me at the acid rain.

The post office here delivers on Saturdays. They deliver Amazon orders, express mail, ect... on Sundays. I'm fine with the Monday delivery date, I'm not okay with the 4 day delivery date of the Phoguard. I don't need it at the moment, however, that is not the point. I paid to be a Prime member and expect Amazon to deliver as promised.
Sorry. I have a habit of rambling and asides.

"If available, Saturday or Sunday delivery will be specified on the product page and/or during checkout. Otherwise, our shipping methods apply to business days only, not weekends or holidays.
Remember to check the ordering cut-off time shown on the detail page."

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201118070

In short, your paid Prime membership guarantees delivery within two BUSINESS days (that's M-F) if the order is placed before the cut-off time (usually before 12 for Same Day, before 2 or 5 for everything else during a BUSINESS day).

In the world of commerce, a "BUSINESS day" means Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. It does not mean which day a business is opened for business. So, even if USPS/UPS/FedEX/etc. are opened for delivery on Saturday and Sunday, Amazon ONLY guarantees your shipment and only counts your shipping days from Monday-Friday.

As to the why? Well, I am gonna ramble on and on so I'll stop here.

---

You placed your order on a Saturday: you didn't meet the cut-off time. To Amazon, that means anything ordered on Saturday/Sunday is treated the same as if placed on Monday. That is why your order has a Wednesday shipping date.

Why the other 3 items were able to be shipped faster and sometimes you get Saturday deliveries? Short answer: Amazon is exploiting its relationship with the US Postal Service (who expanded Saturday/Sunday deliveries several years ago INSTEAD of stopping weekend deliveries to save cost) due to it being a mega-behemoth retailer. And let's not even talk about its distribution network logistics. Fun stuff. I'm rambling again. Shoot! Bye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeysDad View Post
When I look this up it clearly says 'Prime (4-5 days)'. So you don't pay for shipping, but it's gonna be more than just 2 days.
It depends on your DEFAULT shipping address so Amazon can calculate its proximity to its regional warehouses and suppliers. For example, when I placed the order, shipping is the standard Prime 2-day. There is no 4-5 day waiting period.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	646778  

Bandit1200 and Bandit1200 like this.
jw.cS is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw.cS View Post

Why the other 3 items were able to be shipped faster and sometimes you get Saturday deliveries? Short answer: Amazon is exploiting its relationship with the US Postal Service (who expanded Saturday/Sunday deliveries several years ago INSTEAD of stopping weekend deliveries to save cost) due to it being a mega-behemoth retailer....
We've always had Saturday delivery here and Amazon deliveries on Sundays have been going on for under a year in my area. I digress.

I need to start taking screen shots when I order from Amazon, as ordering before the product timer runs out clearly isn't working.
Smooch is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 01:46 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: .
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooch View Post
We've always had Saturday delivery here and Amazon deliveries on Sundays have been going on for under a year in my area. I digress.

I need to start taking screen shots when I order from Amazon, as ordering before the product timer runs out clearly isn't working.
I know. You have been enjoying a perk all this time and are mistaking it as something standard with your membership. It's akin to getting mints at the end of your meals and when the restaurant stops giving out mints, you get dissappointed that you didn't get something you paid when you really didn't--you only paid for that steak and nobody ever promised that the steak to come with mints. The mint is just a nice surprise and FREE to make you happy. Okay, so you can make the argument that nothing is really free because the cost of those mints and other "complimentary" services are already factored in the steak's pricing buutttt....I'll stop...I feel the verbose rambling coming on.
jw.cS is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw.cS View Post
I know. You have been enjoying a perk all this time and are mistaking it as something standard with your membership. It's akin to getting mints at the end of your meals and when the restaurant stops giving out mints, you get dissappointed that you didn't get something you paid when you really didn't--you only paid for that steak and nobody ever promised that the steak to come with mints. The mint is just a nice surprise and FREE to make you happy. Okay, so you can make the argument that nothing is really free because the cost of those mints and other "complimentary" services are already factored in the steak's pricing buutttt....I'll stop...I feel the verbose rambling coming on.
Fortunately I don't use mints in my tanks and who eats those anyway? The ones that are not packaged have all kinds of nasty germs on them.

I don't recall stating that anything was free either. All the shipping costs are buried in the price of the product.
Smooch is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome