Moving up to 65g need opinions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Moving up to 65g need opinions

My present tank has been perfect for a long time. I need to increase the size and like the look of the 65g (36hx24tx18w). With the filter and light that I have (see sig) The tank I have (46g) is just not wide enough for the discus. I found a tank for $100, 65g, glass and new. I think I will be able to place my plants more center so the Discus pr have more coasting room. They are 6". I just don't know how great the change will effect the tank. Like everyone else money is tight. I do not want to buy this tank and then run into a lot of light and filter problems.
I do water changes once a week at 50% and rinse the filter once a month. The only problem I have is small hatches of pond snails, which I hate but live with.
I have only a few other fish I would add to the new tank (6 sids and a female GBR). I want to also add a few more fissiden plants.
How big effect do you think these changes will make using the same light and filter.

75g, pair of gold rams , ABN, 1 adult 2 young discus, 2oto's, 6ADF's, 3 anglefish. 96w 6700k-light 6hrs raised, No C02, Excel, EI dry macro's and micro's, Eheim 2126, 18w UV, 2 Nano 270 powerhead. wall of bubbles for more O2 for such a deep tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 03:53 AM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
IMO, you will definitely need a second filter, or an upgrade of your current one. Water quality is key with discus, and there will be 20 more gallons of water that will need constant filtration.

Your fish load seems a bit high for a 45 gallon, so an upgrade to a 65 gallon would be ideal.

Good luck!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
It is not just the fish load, big fish and pleco's poop a lot I was surprised how big this discus pr are, so far at least 6". I have never given my discus any special treatment other then space. I down sized from a 150g a few yrs ago. I only have this pair because they get along so well, which is rare, since they are schooling fish. They do great with my community fish too. They were a dime size when I got them. There water is always clean without having to add chemicals. I have a fluval 304 that I could use with this filter but was hoping to save some money on Electricity (to many animals need heat in this house). If I use the second filter I might be able to get rid of the two nano powerheads and still be over filtered.
I also bet that I will have to play with the light. It runs about 8hrs a day at this point. With the bigger tank I think I could run it a bit longer, but not sure. I know I will have to replace the bulbs, these are 2yrs old. The distance from the gavel will be the same for the new tank, Its just the spread of the light will be different. The wider tank will also give the discus more room when they are sideways in the tank. Right now they take up half the tank in width (12").
I also need to figure out why fissidens don't do well with my set up. I love moss and fissidens.

75g, pair of gold rams , ABN, 1 adult 2 young discus, 2oto's, 6ADF's, 3 anglefish. 96w 6700k-light 6hrs raised, No C02, Excel, EI dry macro's and micro's, Eheim 2126, 18w UV, 2 Nano 270 powerhead. wall of bubbles for more O2 for such a deep tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode