Driftwood hitchhikers (Warning: pictures of worms) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Driftwood hitchhikers (Warning: pictures of worms)

Hey everyone! I just want to share something interesting/disgusting I found when I was preparing some driftwood.

I got the wood from the beach and began soaking it in a large tub of water to get them waterlogged again since I left them to dry out. Also I read somewhere that this also eliminates any marine hitchhikers that came along, as they can't survive in fresh water.

I got to experience the latter point pretty well, as weird things started to drift up to the water surface. They seem to be some kind of wood lice or something along those lines, but when put under a microscope they resembled something more like a kind of polychaete worm. The pictures aren't great, but good enough to give you an idea.

This one was still kind of twitching.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1466883357759.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	646498  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1466883421762.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	646506  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 09:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Congrats on the find! All kinds of interesting hitchhikers may be riding along. But those I can see are not the ones which I worry about too much as they are easy to kill.
What I find is that I never know where the wood has been so I just go with the idea something else may be there. Maybe it just came down out of the city or drifted through the ship channels?
I like to sterilize my plate before eating and I do the same for everything that goes into the tank. I might get by without the trouble but who wants to take the risk?
I put it all in a tub and do an overnight bleach soak to react with all the organics like bugs, oil, or pesticides that it may have been floating in before it got to the beach.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode