alright.. I need help (algae and ferts) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
alright.. I need help (algae and ferts)

ok so I have an outbreak of this brown hair cotton ball like algae which is covering some of the more fragile plants and preventing sufficient light to reach them. I've heard this algae is due to poor water quality. My tank is ooooo 1.5 months old it's 29g, 150 watt halide (hung high up w/ short photoperoid). Here's the deal I just started my c02 like last week. I have it running into a powerhead and just hooked up a second bottle. I get a lot of co2 in there, it's quite effective. Now for my question I'm putting aquariumplants total pellets in the substrate once a month but not dosing any liquid ferts or anything like that. I'm trying not to but is it inevitable? It's heavily planted, HC and the Cabomba I have in there are the main victims. What do you guys think? If ferts are necessary; what kind/brand/how often? Are substrate pellets and adequate co2 enough? How do I get rid of the existing algae? I have shrimp, otis, and have been using a tooth brush to kind of brush it off. Thanks for any help.

Also I'd like to post a picture or two for everybody but not sure how. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

also I do a mild water change each week or so, probably 5 gallons.. Could the problem have to do with that?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 11:42 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (49/100%)
Try RO water and up your co2

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 12:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
You have ~5 watts per gallon over the tank. You need to make sure you have PLENTY of CO2. DIY can do it, but at 29g with that kind of lighting, you have to make sure you're on top of it. Upping the water change % might help. Try ~15g changes once weekly. This will essentially remove any buildup of excess ferts. Not familiar with the pellets, so cannot give any advice there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 05:31 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)
Are you sure it's not brown algae/ diatom. You'll get these algae with new tank since the beneficial bacterias has not yet been established. Once the tank cycles and becomes stable it should go away on it's own.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 07:21 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
You need ferts out the ass. I have a 29G with 130W of power compact lighting on an 8 hour photoperiod 20 inches above the substrate. I daily-dose Excel (1 cap), Potassium (1 cap), Iron (1 cap), Flourish (.5 cap), AND the PMDD aquariumfertilizers.com mix. Growth is rampant, to the tune of my plants doubling in volume in a month. Only algae present is a very light dusting of GSA.

SunSun Pimp #10

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 29G, 130W PC lighting, Red Sea CO2 on 20# tank, SunSun 303B, Custom ferts
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 11:14 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)
IDK though, I have a 150w MH over my 8gal nano and I don't have any algae issues except for brown algae. My lights are about 25inches above water line but then again it's not pointed directly at the tank. do you have any powerhead moving the water around?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

ok, I'm sure it's not diatom algae. I did have it when I first started the tank but the oti's cleaned it up in under two days. Insta is that a EI routine? That sounds like a lot of ferts daily, is that necessary though? I don't need gargantuan growth just lush green and less algae. I'm thinking about starting to dose with excel, good idea? Also danakin thanks for the advice, I was thinking that, I should up the water changes a little bit.. Boon, yes I have a powerhead to diffuse co2 and the internal filter has a powerhead as well. Also at night there's water movement from the power filter which is used only at night mainly for that surface scum and to aerate the water for the fish when the plants aren't. So for my setup if I am getting adequate co2, do I still need ferts besides the substrate ferts and excel?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

oh yeah and can I use distilled water as opposed to RO water or are they really different?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 06:47 PM
Planted Member

Distilled is effectively the same thing as RO water (a little worse for inverts since it may contain copper traces from the stills). I'm not actually dosing EI, I just have ridonkulous plant growth. After my post-rearrange melt stops, I'm going to half the lighting and cut back on the ferts and go into maintenance mode. I forgot to mention that I have CO2 as well, and do run it in conjunction with Excel. Plants definitely don't mind, and I have next to no algae problems, so I'm going to stick with it.

Have you hooked up a drop checker? I'd do root tabs and Excel. Water column ferts really aren't going to hurt anything. You're probably potassium deficient ...

SunSun Pimp #10

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks insta. The drop checker is in the mail should get here today or tomorrow. So I am putting tablets at the roots and will start with the excel shortly. There's really no way to test for deficieny is there? I'll try getting some potassium in there. Thanks again for input
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 10:11 PM
Planted Member

Check this resource out for how to detect nutrient deficiencies.

SunSun Pimp #10

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode