Planted tank sealed Sump help. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Planted tank sealed Sump help.

OK First off I run a sump on my 75 planted tank. so I am not a stranger to them. How ever I Want to do a Sealed Sump for my 240 gallon tank, and i need some people who have run sealed sumps and know a thing or two about it.
What i was thinking is taking either a 5 gallon bucket or a rubber maid tote and capping it with a lid. take and run a bulkhead through the lid for my intake. (to avoid Co2 loss) Also having it connected by bulkheads to a second tote (or bucket) that will house my floss and pads. before It runs into a third that houses my Bio filtration and then into one final tote that will house my return pump. All but the return pump tote would be sealed with a lid. to help with evaporation and Co2 loss. Would this work without it creating pressure like a canister filter.

In theory in my head it seams like it would work. However I also fear it would raise the water up like a canister and create a vacuum that will cause it to rise above the lid or seams. Also my tank has Tight fitting lids on it. and my exp with lids on tanks really helps with evap. Also one more thought I do plan on running a drip system as well. so another reason for sumps. and I was going to do a 40g breeder sump until i realized I prefer a sealed intake sump. (i hope you were able to bare with me on my line of thought)

Everyone follows a Trend!
Their is always light at the end of the tunnel, That's when the train Hit's You!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 02:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

You can build a sealed sump, but consider that if you do this to maintain CO2, you also risk not getting the gas exchange you want to get new O2 into the tank.

Since your dealing with a larger tank, your likely going to want to use pressurized CO2 anyway. If you do that, you can crank up the CO2 to make up for any loss through the sump.

If you must have a systems with a sealed sump, I think you'd be better off using canister filters, rather than making this a DIY project. You also will not need overflows since the canister filters are sealed.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well I decided not to go with a Sealed sump. as i am going to be doing a constant drip water change system. and a sealed sump would just make things more complicated. and being a drip system will take care of evaporation anyway their is no need for it. Plus with Co2 I do not plan on running Co2. at least not if i can help it. But I have found I can eliminate Co2 loss with a proper sump and over flow design.

Everyone follows a Trend!
Their is always light at the end of the tunnel, That's when the train Hit's You!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode