Are Low Iron aquariums worth the price? - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Are Low Iron aquariums worth the price?

I'm thinking of buying a Mr Aqua 22 gallon long tank. My LFS told me that the low iron version is $20-30 more.

Is it worth it? I haven't seen it in person and the LFS will be ordering it for me so I won't have a chance to compare.

Is it really that much clearer?

60 gallon (12.75"L x 48.5"W x 25" H) tank. 48" Planted Plus on between 7 am-12 pm and 4-9 pm. Aquaclear 110. Very hard water. High Alkaline. No current throughout tank .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 01:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

More so for larger tanks with thicker glass; especially if you use bright lights and have very clean glass/clear water. Larger impact in real life than in pics. If you're the type of guy that buys glass lily pipes, and use surface skimmers because you want perfectly clear water surface, and use purigen in your filter, then buy the low-iron version for sure.

Regards, Dennis
47g Journal of sorts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 04:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to IUnknown
And for photos it looks a lot better, if you plan on taking nice photos.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 02:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
I think it's just a better overall look than a rimmed tank with greener glass. The tank itself becomes less noticeable and what's in it becomes more so. If you plan on staying in the hobby I think you'll find it worth the extra money.
Filet-O-Fish and Filet-O-Fish like this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 03:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
When weighing out your decision you may want to factor in that low iron glass is not as hard and will scratch a little easier.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 09:16 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
For $20-30 more, I saw why not. It's definitely a clearer tank, there's absolutely a real life difference. I was considering for a much larger tank, but then it becomes hundreds of dollars difference. I say go for it for the 22.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 09:23 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/75%)
It is worth the money, scratches easily and you will definitely notice the difference in person.

Look at this.

It scratches so easily I already have a scratch on my new 90-P and I have no idea how. I handled it immaculately.

Last edited by Clinton Parsons; 06-25-2016 at 09:44 PM. Reason: e
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 01:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (43/100%)
IMO if you are going to invest the extra cash just go for acrylic....it is clearer than low iron glass and totally seamless. It also scratches more easily BUT you can fix them.

3x75 gallons|2x55 gallons|2x50 gallons|3x40 gallons|1x29 gallon|1x10 gallon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaozhuang View Post
More so for larger tanks with thicker glass; especially if you use bright lights and have very clean glass/clear water. Larger impact in real life than in pics. If you're the type of guy that buys glass lily pipes, and use surface skimmers because you want perfectly clear water surface, and use purigen in your filter, then buy the low-iron version for sure.
Ha ha. Those are some good guidelines. I do love purigen but don't have surface skimmers or glass lily pipes. That's good to know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUnknown View Post
And for photos it looks a lot better, if you plan on taking nice photos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5614 View Post
I think it's just a better overall look than a rimmed tank with greener glass. The tank itself becomes less noticeable and what's in it becomes more so. If you plan on staying in the hobby I think you'll find it worth the extra money.
Just to be clear, both the low iron and regular versions of the Mr Aqua tank are rimless. Thank you for the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
When weighing out your decision you may want to factor in that low iron glass is not as hard and will scratch a little easier.
Whoa I did NOT know that. That's great to know thanks! Will it get scratched by just regular scrubbing using sponge pads to get off algae? Or are we only talking about scratches due to moving it around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1sixerfan View Post
For $20-30 more, I saw why not. It's definitely a clearer tank, there's absolutely a real life difference. I was considering for a much larger tank, but then it becomes hundreds of dollars difference. I say go for it for the 22.
Thanks! It is good to know that there's a real noticeable difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton Parsons View Post
It is worth the money, scratches easily and you will definitely notice the difference in person.
Great picture that's very helpful thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHRKiller View Post
IMO if you are going to invest the extra cash just go for acrylic....it is clearer than low iron glass and totally seamless. It also scratches more easily BUT you can fix them.
But aren't acrylic *very* expensive? I'll look into though. Thanks!

60 gallon (12.75"L x 48.5"W x 25" H) tank. 48" Planted Plus on between 7 am-12 pm and 4-9 pm. Aquaclear 110. Very hard water. High Alkaline. No current throughout tank .
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 02:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to IUnknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
Where did you read that? Its just glass? I have used acrylic and the first time you clean the tank you will get scratches and its really disheartening.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 04:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHRKiller View Post
I like watching Tanked, those acrylic tanks look heavy as all heck.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 09:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

Acrylic is considerably lighter than glass, I can easily carry my 50G acrylic on my own. Weight is about half what glass is.

I paid $200 for a Seaclear 50G with black back shipped to my door a comparable sized ADA tank would have been much more expensive.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 11:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

My wife would divorce me if I spend $200 on a tank.... so I just buy lots of small tanks.
I did get two 2nd hand 60 gal tanks for about $13 each though. I only have hardware for one so far.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 01:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

I would probably not go the acrylic route again on a tank less than 100G. Expense and the fact the need scratches fixed is my reasoning, my 50G has exterior scratches which is an easy fix with a Novus kit. Interior scratches require the tank to be drained; which I haven't invested the efforts into yet.

Now a large tank I would go acrylic due to the weight reduction and fact cell cast acrylic is probably the most durable tank out there.

Personally standard glass tanks are fine to me, perfectly adequate and if the scape/fish are nice enough only some seriously OCD person would focus on the glass not low iron. lol

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 02:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IUnknown View Post
Where did you read that? Its just glass? I have used acrylic and the first time you clean the tank you will get scratches and its really disheartening.

But, it's not just glass, it's low iron glass. Glass can be formulated to make it harder, softer, break resistant, more flexible etc. It's a generalization since different glass companies have their own formulation and there is really no benchmark for "standard glass", but for comparison purposes, low iron, or starphire glass is typically softer than "standard" aquarium glass. Not to the point of being like acrylic, but softer.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode