Safestart and Prime - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Safestart and Prime

Hello, I was just wondering if anyone knew if adding prime 1 - 2 days after safestart will kill the safestart bacteria. I've been having trouble cycling my tank, as the guy at my LFS sold me some starter bacteria that really didn't work and he didn't tell me that my water conditioner would kill it. So therefore, I purchased a bottle of safestart, did 2 50% water changes to lower my nitrate/nitrite/ammonia levels, then added the entire bottle of safestart. So I think everything is going to be alright however I wanted to know if using prime will help at all. Or will it kill the safestart?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 11:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I personally don't get why it is said to not use a water conditioner like Prime when dosing bottled nitrifying bacteria.

Prime detoxifies nitrogen, but still leaves it available for plants and bacteria to use up.

I set up three 10 gallon shrimp tanks and a 20 gallon guppy tank, using 100% new water conditioned with Prime/Safe and dosed Tetra SafeStart 30 minutes after (just to be on the safe side and give the dechlorinator more time to treat the entire tank). Didn't have any nitrogen issues.

Just mentionung MY experience.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I know that tetra safestart specifically has all the bacteria bound in ammonia, so that the bacteria has something to use while the tank is cycling. I know that prime converts ammonia into a nontoxic form, so I know it will convert the ammonia from the safestart , but I'm not sure if safestart bacteria can use that form of ammonia or if it will starve the bacteria. I leaning towards the latter, I just wish i used safestart from the beginning instead of taking that guys advice because I'm not sure if my tank is going to cycle after all of this..

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 11:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
The safe start people say its because water conditioners tie up the ammonia and bacteria 'food' that ships with the safe start thereby starving the bacteria. In my experience that is not the case with prime, especially 24 hours later. I wouldnt do any more water changes for a couple of weeks. If you need to do top offs do so and treat the water with just enough prior to adding, at least thats what I would do.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydralotus View Post
I know that tetra safestart specifically has all the bacteria bound in ammonia, so that the bacteria has something to use while the tank is cycling. I know that prime converts ammonia into a nontoxic form, so I know it will convert the ammonia from the safestart , but I'm not sure if safestart bacteria can use that form of ammonia or if it will starve the bacteria. I leaning towards the latter, I just wish i used safestart from the beginning instead of taking that guys advice because I'm not sure if my tank is going to cycle after all of this..
My understanding is the ammonia is made non-toxic but the bacteria CAN still consume it.

75G Seachem Flourite

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20H Seachem Flourite with DIY Canopy/Cooling System

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

10G Low Tech Shrimp Tank - Archive

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So the consensus is that prime won't harm the safestart, Any advice if I should be doing a small daily dose of prime after this to help control all of my levels and help the tank cycle ?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 12:57 AM
Wannabe Guru

I wouldnt. Do you have fish in there already? How heavily is it planted?

75G Seachem Flourite

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Its a 10 gallon tank, There are 3 pygmy corydoras, 1 Betta, and 7 red cherry shrimp, there are quite a few plants, at least 30 Java fern leaves, a bunch of staurogyne repens in the foreground, 3 crypt parva, a crypt wendtii that pretty much melted but is growing back with 5 leaves so far, 2 hygrophila carimbosa, a couple Marimo moss balls and 1 anubias coffefolia, 3 anubias nana petite.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160624_183145_1466818446152.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	646386  

Name:	20160624_183106_1466818472344.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	646394  

Name:	20160624_154425_1466818524521.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	646402  

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 01:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

Nice tank!! I would keep an eye on the ammonia and nitrite but my guess is you will be fine if you don't go over feeding. Watch for signs of stress.

75G Seachem Flourite

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 01:59 AM
Algae Grower

Wink

Just some advice for you just staring out! BE PATIENT!! Remember this and your tank or tanks will do Great! Slow is always betters with the tanks!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode