Know What Scares the Crap out of me? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
Know What Scares the Crap out of me?

When I'm doing WCs on my 75g...... The noises the the tank sometimes makes. I guess it's from the temp change, weight shifts and things like that. Not that they are loud, but still gets your nurves going....

Clint

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 12:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey View Post
When I'm doing WCs on my 75g...... The noises the the tank sometimes makes. I guess it's from the temp change, weight shifts and things like that. Not that they are loud, but still gets your nurves going....
+1 on that, especially since i have a wrought iron stand made in the 70's
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 12:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I'm kind of scared of heights

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 12:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
My 75 doesn't make any noise.... I do changes of about 80 percent and the water is much cooler....
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 01:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VadimShevchuk Send a message via Skype™ to VadimShevchuk
one time i saw a little warm swimming in my tank until my angele ate it
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 01:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Not when changing water but 15-30 minutes after the lights go off. We hear a sharp click or popping sound that's somewhat unnerving to this day (still after two years). I know it has to be the legs on the light fixtures shifting on the tank frames (4x54w T5HO). The aluminum fixture housing 4' long must be expanding and contracting with the heating/cooling of the light cycling but we never hear it with the cooling fans on just after shut down at night.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
are you makeing sure that you turn off your heater while doing water changes? that noise could be the heater melting the holder with the suction cups. i've heard that a few times
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
I was scared of ET the ExtraTerrestrial for years and years and years...

with my fish tanks tho...I hate thermometers, diffusers or virtually anything on the side of the glass...Im always scared Ill push it down, hear the bubbles escaping from behind the suction cup then hear a crack followed by a splash
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwag2001 View Post
are you makeing sure that you turn off your heater while doing water changes? that noise could be the heater melting the holder with the suction cups. i've heard that a few times

Everything is off when I do my chasnges. I do them at about 7-8AM and the lights don't come on until 3PM. I know it could be the hard ward floor also. Eitherway, it's not a very calming sound. It's not loud, just loud enough to hear.

wkndracer, +1 on that noise also!

Clint

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by killacross View Post
I was scared of ET the ExtraTerrestrial for years and years and years...

with my fish tanks tho...I hate thermometers, diffusers or virtually anything on the side of the glass...Im always scared Ill push it down, hear the bubbles escaping from behind the suction cup then hear a crack followed by a splash
yeah, same here. esp, since i use the old mercury stats....

Clint

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 05:40 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)
I thought it was going to be spiders...

1.6 million dogs were euthanized in the US last year alone, please consider adopting a dog that needs a loving home.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jreich View Post
+1 on that, especially since i have a wrought iron stand made in the 70's
I have one of those too. I'm afraid that the joints will finally give out when I'm cleaning the glass.

:
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 06:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (41/100%)
my flat screen TV does that crack noise. it haanging in the wall.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 07:22 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
I got rid of my 65 hex for the same reason. floor lights, whatever! It was tall and had a small footprint.. them one morning we had an earthquake and that afternoon it was sold.lol. damn nerves!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/96%)
I have 180 gal. tank and I have never heard and noises while changing water ( by the hose directly from my well...), otherwise I would probably faint...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode