No 6 50.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
How much would you spend for wood?

Get your mind out of the gutter! There's a piece of spider wood on ebay I really like but I can't get past the price. $45 for an 17x11x11 piece of wood seems pretty steep to me. Is that too much to pay?

"Hopefully everything doesn't turn out horribly ironic"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 04:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I don't think so. I've been working on some great pieces of iron wood with dark red color for almost one year. It has to be dried, cleaned, debarked, sanded.....and I will then set it back in water to pull major amounts of tannins out before I sell it. I'm talking hours and hours of work to get a piece ready for the aquarium. So 45 is good for a small piece. I will be asking over 1000.00 dollars for a piece that will fit larger tanks. It is very big. About 2' x 2' ft hollowed out burled wood. Gorgeous.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 05:53 AM
Algae Grower

No way I would only spend @most 20 bucks!

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 06:19 AM
Planted Member

I guess it's worth it if you want to impress someone with your wood..
N2uqs, N2uqs, m9090 and 1 others like this.

50g co2 planted tank-lighting: custom leds (cree xml-2)-filtration: 2xcanister-output: lily pipe + co2 atomiser
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 06:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
You can get some great wood on here..some one a a few weeks back was having a good sale of buy 2 get one free big or small and cheaper prices..but that's just me I like pieces that I can put together or spread out and add different plants to them..it seems a little much for one
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 08:13 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/75%)
Good materials are very hard to find. If you like it, buy it. That does not seem like an unreasonable price at all to me.

I am 99% sure "spider" or "Red moor" wood is some type of rhododendron/azalea root. The native rhododendron in GA look exactly like it.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 11:50 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton Parsons View Post
If you like it, buy it.
This right here.

Things such as drift wood are worth what you are willing to pay. Would the $40 addition to your tank make you happy or not? Would you regret buying a cheaper piece?
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 11:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Hardscape is definitely worth the investment. It's not like it goes bad (unless you have behemoth plecos which have no place in a planted tank in the first place). That being said I feel most driftwood in American stores is extremely overpriced compared to what's widely available in Asia. If you have family or friends coming from Asian and they have spare space in their luggage see if they can go to the world-famous fish markets and bring back some nice pieces for you.

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 12:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
50 bucks is about the most I would spend for driftwood IMO.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 11:01 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWolf View Post
I don't think so. I've been working on some great pieces of iron wood with dark red color for almost one year. It has to be dried, cleaned, debarked, sanded.....and I will then set it back in water to pull major amounts of tannins out before I sell it. I'm talking hours and hours of work to get a piece ready for the aquarium. So 45 is good for a small piece. I will be asking over 1000.00 dollars for a piece that will fit larger tanks. It is very big. About 2' x 2' ft hollowed out burled wood. Gorgeous.

I don't think most people realize the effort required to process wood. Takes a lot of time, elbow grease and electricity/gas.
AWolf and AWolf like this.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 05:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I live right near a stream and a Dam, So i just go and collect it. No way would i spend the money on Wood. UNLESS it was a piece that screamed at me. and the price would have to be very low.
PlantedRich and PlantedRich like this.

Everyone follows a Trend!
Their is always light at the end of the tunnel, That's when the train Hit's You!
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 09:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Wood price is like any other price. It really doesn't make much difference how much work or time it takes to get it ready. What matters most is how we each see the item. People set tanks out on the curb all the time because they don't like to clean them. It's all how the buyer and seller feel.
I have never bought a piece of wood so I would pay very little.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 10:01 PM
Planted Member

I do feel like people pinching pennies does nothing to help the hobby as well. We all wonder why American aquascaping sucks compared to Asia and Europe, but people are trying to spend the least amount of money like it's a contest on who can be the cheapest. So why would a seller try to sell nicer big peaces when people only want cheap sticks? If that's all people buy, that's all they will sell.

I looked through hundreds of individual pieces of wood before setting up my tank. Couldn't find a single peace I liked. You should really snatch it up and if you decide you don't like it later, someone will buy it off of you if it is nice.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 10:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton Parsons View Post
I do feel like people pinching pennies does nothing to help the hobby as well. We all wonder why American aquascaping sucks compared to Asia and Europe, but people are trying to spend the least amount of money like it's a contest on who can be the cheapest. So why would a seller try to sell nicer big peaces when people only want cheap sticks? If that's all people buy, that's all they will sell.
I am sorry, but this is the most baseless malarky I've heard in a while. Aquascaping ability has virtually nothing to do with a persons willingness to empty their bank account buying up high end, expensive items. Furthermore, there is no reason to think that an average person in "Asia" or "Europe" is going to be any more willing to buy three letter branded gear, or exclusive hardscape materials that cost more per ounce than some of the most precious metals on earth.
I've seen plenty of amazing aquascapes in plain old black rimmed tanks running aquaclear filters, using hardscape materials and substrates that the individual found in their locality or bought at a landscaping supply for dirt cheap.

I would also counter that being over focused on high-end equipment and exclusive/expensive hardscaping materials has massively taken away from a focus on the proper composition of aquascapes with _plants_ and their husbandry. I think this has been far more of a hindrance to the hobby than penny pinching ever will be.

-
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 10:53 PM
Algae Grower

@AWolf how much do you think their worth? just want to get expert appraisal

I'll tell you later how much it cost to me, i just don't want my answer influent your opinion

Last edited by Akaliman; 06-25-2016 at 10:59 PM. Reason: adding comment

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode