My water surface is shiny....help please - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
My water surface is shiny....help please

Hey guys...All of a sudden lately the surface of my tank has got this shiny sheen look to it almost like gasoline, but not as rainbow-y...

Is this something normal or is some leeching this crap in my tank? The fish and shrimp all seem to be alive alert awake and enthusiastic...

Its starting to get me worried. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 02:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (56/100%)
I think it is a film made mostly of protein. This buildup is usually caused by a lack of surface agitation and shouldn't be harmful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 02:55 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Protein film is normally whitish. If it's slightly colorful, it could be oils from your fish food, hands or maybe something else.

-Chris

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 02:58 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
This could be a simple bio film, try and remove excess organics in your tank and increase the surface agitation. It could also be Eisenbacteria which can be fixed with more surface agitation. Good luck
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wow you guys are so quick to answer. I really appreciate everyones help. I just gave my tank a good look-over...

Whats getting me nervous is the water right around my heater has that look of like...looking at the roof of a car on a hot day. Im getting nervous thinking the heater is heating up the plastic suction cup holder and leeching this crap into the tank.

Does the water look like that when your heaters are actively heating? The bottom of the heater was resting on the substrate, so i moved it up and moved the heating portion farther from the plastic holder...still looks the same.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 03:17 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Yes, the hot water from the heater mixing with the cool water looks the same as hot air from the road/ the hood of a car mixing with cool air. Just make sure that the clip isn't over the part of the heater that gets hot, and you'll be fine.

-Chris

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 04:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
surface agitation should do the trick. a skimmer that hooks up to your filter only costs about $10. use it for a week and then remove it, then increase your surface agitation a little bit and it should stay away.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 08:17 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to snoz0r
could be all of the above or eisenbacteria, an iron eating form of bacteria.. when it was present in my aquarium it somewhat resembled oil or gasoline as you had mentioned

here's a decent place with pics to see what you may have

http://www.aquariumalgae.blogspot.com/

click above for my tank journal - Eheim Pimp Club #357 - SunSun Pimp #3
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh man, great site. After seeing that its DEF the Eisenbacteria. I used a small cup and siphoned off all of it from the surface. Looked great but its slowly coming back again.

Ive also noticed that the bowl I have in my bedroom containing the java moss that i took out of my old tank about a month and a half ago has this on the water surface also.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 07:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Green024
I am having this issue as well. I try and agitate the surface with my power head and spray bar pointing towards it, I have also tried just removing the surface water as much as possible when doing weekly water changes. I have not tried placing paper towels on the surface just long enough to begin to soak up the oily looking water, but that will be my next attempt. :/

Pimp #420
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 02:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

get this. http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...3&pcatid=12703

hook it up to your filter when you need it and take it out when everything is clear. and THEN increase surface agitation. thats how i got rid of mine
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Really neat product! but ive got a HOB filter. Looks like ill be hand skimming often haha.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 09:44 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
try an airstone. it creates good surface agitation.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 10:10 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
The surface skimmer linked above should work on most HOB filters as well. Hagen markets a very similar one for their Aqua Clear series.

At most a little extra tubing and some creativity should get it connected.

Landau

29G - ReefKeeper Lite Controller - Pressurized CO2 - Hydor Inline heater - Fluval 205 - Fluval Pimp #18
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 11:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

or hook it up to a powerhead

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode