Help with fertilizers - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (13/100%)
Help with fertilizers

i need to buy some fertilizers for my tank because my dwarf hairgrass isn't making any progress in the 2 weeks.im trying to grow a carpet
im using eco-complete substrate, pumping c02(D.I.Y), and have only have 18 watts of incandescent lighting(i know, horrible).

i have a 10 gallon with the floored filled with Dwarf Hairgrass(4pots, spread, 3 inches apart)

so i was hoping to buy fertilizers from aquariumfertilizer

what would i need from there products?
Im trying to do the EI method but they don't offer KH2P04
do i need that or can i substitute for that.
i was going to buy
CSM+B Plantex
KNO3
root tabs(do i need that?)
thanks

by the way, whats BH booster?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 07:35 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
aquariumfertilizer has it here:
http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/in...nShowItemStart=
Mono Potassium Phosphate

Aaron

My Journal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jebao Canister Filter Pimp #1!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

oooo, its becuase the letters didnt match
are root tabs nesscary?

and wha tis GH booster?
and is it needed in my setup?

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b10n View Post
i need to buy some fertilizers for my tank because my dwarf hairgrass isn't making any progress in the 2 weeks.im trying to grow a carpet
im using eco-complete substrate, pumping c02(D.I.Y), and have only have 18 watts of incandescent lighting(i know, horrible).

i have a 10 gallon with the floored filled with Dwarf Hairgrass(4pots, spread, 3 inches apart)
You will not be able to get Dwarf Hairgrass to grow/carpet with your current lighting setup. You will need to change over to fluorescent bulbs, and not use incandescent bulbs.

Quote:
so i was hoping to buy fertilizers from aquariumfertilizer

what would i need from there products?
Im trying to do the EI method but they don't offer KH2P04
do i need that or can i substitute for that.
i was going to buy
CSM+B Plantex
KNO3
root tabs(do i need that?)
At this point, there is no reason to start fertilization, as you have insufficient light. The EI method calls for KH2PO4, but you should be able to substitute with K2HPO4 (a different chemical).

Root tabs are helpful, but may or may not be needed, depending on your setup.

Quote:
by the way, whats BH booster?
See below for answer.

Quote:
oooo, its becuase the letters didnt match
are root tabs nesscary?
See above for answer.

Quote:
and wha tis GH booster?
and is it needed in my setup?
GH booster consists of calcium sulfate, magnesium sulfate and potassium sulfate. The proportions can be found using the search function. It may or may not be needed, depending on your water chemistry.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

whats the cheapest lighting system i can get?
how many bulbs of light do i need?
1 or 2?
and how much watts?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 09:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via AIM to chuukus
A simple shoplight will do from your local hardware store you want one with an eloctronic ballast not magnetic. Most shop lights are 48" but there cheap and a smaller fixture will probably cost more. Or you could use screw in compact flourecent with a simple round aluminum reflector. You want a bulb with a Kelvin rating beetween 5,000K and 10,000K, wattage isnt as important as Kelvin.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

well i found out that i have 2 3500k bulbs
these are the bulbs, i have 2 in my tank rite now

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 01:16 AM

Those bulbs will work fine.

I am not sure if it says 3W or 9W, however.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

it says 9
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 02:10 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Those are compact fluorescent spiral bulbs, not incandescent.
A pair of 9W should be okay.

:
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

is there a big difference if i bought a fluorescent hood and used a tube with 10,000k
as of right now, i have 7,000k
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 08:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
You can get DHG to grow with those lights, but rather slowly. If you use the spiral CF bulbs, I've had good luck with 2 15w 6500k (~7 bucks, no need to spend huge money on a 10g at this point), regular EI dosing, and a simple HOB filter.

2 weeks isn't a great length of time to judge where your plants are. It's possible that the plants are finally acclimated to the tank after those 2 weeks and you'll see results now. Keep your CO2 pumping in, and make sure you have good water flow over the DHG. DHG tends to accumulate algae if there's not something flushing it of debris that gets caught in it. Cories will clean it up pretty well IME

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ok, i was gona buy from aquarium fertilizers
kno3, mkp(mono potassium phosphate), csm+b plantex
should i buy barrs bh booster? do i need it.

my also getting a a 10,00k light
i found a craigslist ad
a guy sellin his 10 gallon with filter,florescent hood,pump for only 20 bucks, what a steal
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 09:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
I believe Darkblade48 answered this above.

You need GH Booster (not "bh") if your water supply is very soft and does not provide enough calcium and magnesium. Check your local water report. The values should be listed there.

:
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 01:04 AM

Quote:
is there a big difference if i bought a fluorescent hood and used a tube with 10,000k
as of right now, i have 7,000k
Not really; either will work fine. It depends on what colour you like. The 10000K bulb will be more blue than the 7000K bulb.

Quote:
ok, i was gona buy from aquarium fertilizers
kno3, mkp(mono potassium phosphate), csm+b plantex
should i buy barrs bh booster? do i need it.
As I mentioned, whether you need the GH booters or not depends on your water chemistry. If it is adequately hard, then you will not need it.

Anthony

and

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode