Just a quick ? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to snoz0r
Just a quick ?

Finally got my new light fixture today, so now i'm running a Current USA Nova Extreme HO fixture @ 48 watts and a coralife double strip NO T5 @ 36 watts.

Before I was was told I was running med-med high as for as light goes (was running two of the NO coralife fixtures), but with the new Current HO fixture, have I finally crossed into the high light category?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
click above for my tank journal - Eheim Pimp Club #357 - SunSun Pimp #3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 07:03 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
If you are currently using all three lights, you have probably crossed into "potential algae farm" territory. That is quite a bit of light to have over a 29 gallon tank (I assume that is what you are using it over).

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

no, not all three, just the Current USA fixture and ONE of the coralife fixtures, and yes it is a 29

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 08:15 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I'd call the tank very high light, and say you shouldn't need that much light but can certainly run it if you like working to keep up with it.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 08:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Yep, you have entered the "high light" catagory. Beware of the algae!

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

i think i'll be alright =) i've managed to combat or contain any algae problems before, i don't expect it to be very prevelant as long as i keep up with the dosing

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 09:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Dosing alone won't do it. Are you running pressurized CO2?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_bu View Post
Dosing alone won't do it. Are you running pressurized CO2?

yes, this has been a high-tech tank from nearly the beginning, as well as nearly high light as well.. as i was running 72 watts of T-5, just needed an upgrade on a fixture as one went out on me, so it's all been a question of whether the new HO fixture bumped me into the high light category or not.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
I'd call the tank very high light, and say you shouldn't need that much light but can certainly run it if you like working to keep up with it.
I don't mind the work at all =). It's one of the things I actually look forward to every weekend as it gives me some time to myself which is something I rarely get with having 4 kids running around .

I might add, that I did originally try just the Current fixture alone, and in some areas of the tank, particularly around the bottoms of my Alternanthera reineckii that they were very shaded no matter where I placed the fixture. That's why I put one of the coralife fixtures back on.

I do have a question though, should I ramp up my dosing a little with the increase of light?

I've been dosing about 1/8th a tsp 3x a week of NPK and 1/8th worth of CSM+B 3x a week. Do you see a need in an immediate need to increase the dosing amount, or should I just wait it out and see how the plants react?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode