Disadvantages of Snails in a Planted Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Disadvantages of Snails in a Planted Tank

I have one snail (maybe Ramshorn) in my tank. In last 3-4 months, it hasn't destroyed any plants or cause any harm to the tank. Instead, it cleans up some leftovers and algae in glass. I am interested in getting more. Hence, my questions:

1) Do snails cause any harm to planted tank? If so, what?
2) Which ones should I absolutely avoid?

Thanks.

55 Gal Tank with: Eheim 2213 Canister, Hydor Inline 300 Watts, 2X54 Watt (6,700K & 10,000K) T5 HO for 7 hrs, Excel for CO2
3 Discus, 4 Mollies, 2 Tetras, 2 SAE, 1 Pleco,1 Platy, 1 Zebra Danio, 1 Snail
1 Cryptocoryne, 1 Java Fern, 4-5 Unknown, Dwarf HG, Some baby tears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (456/100%)
Snails help the tank by consuming decaying organic matter like dead leaves, uneaten food and some algae. The drawback is when snails eat algae on thin leaves or stems, sometimes the leaves and stems get damaged. It can also look "gross" when the tank has a swarm of them . Decrease their sources of food and they also decrease in number; that means, good tank upkeep - partial water changes, trimming off old stems and replanting the upper stems, scraping algae off the glass, vacuuming the substrate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 03:53 PM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
if it IS a ramshorn snail...there arent any real disadvantages of it...but just throw in an extra pinch of food every feeding for a week

then 1 becomes--> 5-->15-->123453241-->13535156346351

eventually...there will be a lot and then when they start dying off the others will start eating the carcasses and reproducing even more...leaving a trail of empty shells on the floor

its just a nuisance when theres a population explosion

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 05:48 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have an apple snail that was supposedly non-plant eating. However it turns out to be a variety that does eat plants and destroyed my java ferns (luckily the only plants as I was just experimenting before beginning). They look nearly identical to the non-eating kind, I can't tell the difference from just pictures online. So now I'm just wary of any apple snail. I also have an assassain snail in one tank that doesn't eat plants, but will eat other snails. Good if you get unwanted hitchhikers on new plants apparently!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 05:56 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
ugh, i just got a buncha snails going around my tank now. i started off with "1" i saw, i took it out killed it and then several more appeared now i got a bunch running rampart. gonna go grab me a couple assassin snails tonight to deal with this problem

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode