Help New Tank Syndrome - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Skype™ to RelionFish
Help New Tank Syndrome

I've decided to do a planted Tank. I've already had a regular freshwater fish tank going for a little over a month. Before I bought this tank I had a basic 20 gallon tank. I moved most of my fish and decor over to the new tank. My old tank was crystal clear and had no ammonia problems. This is a 60 gallon tank and I haven't got it to clear up for some time. At most it will look this clear:

But here how's clear my old tank would get:

I've been keeping fish for over 2 years so I thought I knew what I was doing. I have 2 150 BioWheel Penguin Filters, Pressurized CO-2 for Plants, I change the water once a week 20-25%, and I don't over feed my fish. Please help me figure this out. I just wanted a nicer bigger tank. Also, I'm terrible at aquascaping, if you want you can point some enchancement in that area as well. I still rate myself as a novice at taking care of fish. Thanks for your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 04:36 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
What are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings?

What lighting are you running, and what ferts?

Are you running your filters with the biowheels in them? If so, you're probably outgassing a good percentage of your CO2. Do you have a drop checker to measure your CO2 levels?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here is the same tank from the side. You can really see the cloudiness from this angle:

Oh and I forgot to mention that although I added more sand Yesterday to the tank, but it still looked like this beforehand.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
What are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings?

What lighting are you running, and what ferts?

Are you running your filters with the biowheels in them? If so, you're probably outgassing a good percentage of your CO2. Do you have a drop checker to measure your CO2 levels?

Yeah I've been trying to get my Ammonia levels down for a while: They have been around 0.5-1ppm. I don't have a test kit for nitrite and nitrate yet. I'm using the basic lighting that came with the tank tops. I think they are 65 watt compact fluorescent (6700K). I do have one of the biowheels running. I have that canister system for CO2 injection. I just put the plants in there yesterday, I have mostly fake plants in there only the few in front are real. The bubbles are coming out, i have no idea how to check the CO2 levels. Also I have 2 air stones/pipes going to help circulate the water. I don't have any fertilizer? I knew I shouldn't have done the plants thing. This is too hard. They look like they're dying already. *Sighs*
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 04:53 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

You need to get rid of the surface agitation from your biowheels and airstone/bubblers- those are pushing the CO2 out of the tank probably about as fast as you're trying to push it in.

But your real issue is that your tank obviously hasn't finished cycling, and I wouldn't expect the water to clear up until it has.

Since you've got fish in the tank already, you need to be doing at least one if not two daily water changes- you need to get and keep your ammonia and nitrite levels under 0.25ppm for the safety of your fish.

I recommend getting the tank cycled first, and then work on figuring out your CO2, lighting, and ferts for the plants... one thing at a time.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok, I was wondering if it hasn't finished cycling yet. It's weird though my other tanks cycled much faster. It's been about 5 weeks now. Thanks for the help. Also, it may be a bacteria boom as well. But since my tank has never been crystal clear to begin with I guess it hasn't finished cycling. I will turn off the air stones.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Any tips for the aquascape? LOL! I know it's terrible!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 05:04 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

Ever heard of the Golden Rule of Aquascaping?

The Aquatic Eden blog has some really good tips, and the Golden Rule is halfway down this page: http://www.aquatic-eden.com/search/l...max-results=20

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode