Water clarifiers? - The Planted Tank Forum
View Poll Results: Do you use water clarifiers?
Yes 8 27.59%
No 21 72.41%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Water clarifiers?

Do you use water clarifiers? If so, which brand do you prefer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 04:33 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Seachem's Purigen and micron filter pads in all my filters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Seachem's Purigen and micron filter pads in all my filters.
Is there a particular micron filter pad you prefer? Where do you place it in your filtration setup?

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 04:41 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I use the Eheim and Rena brand ones since those are the brand filters I'm running.

They go last in the media setup (which happens to be on top for my canisters...)

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 05:34 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Purigen, and sometimes API ACCU-Clear in my smalll tank

Landau

29G - ReefKeeper Lite Controller - Pressurized CO2 - Hydor Inline heater - Fluval 205 - Fluval Pimp #18
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 06:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

I tried a few water clairifiers, and nothing worked better than purigen. That stuff worked great!

...DIY co2 sucks
...ricca sucks
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 11:05 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I don't find them necessary, I can look through my 30 gallon the long way and watch television with perfect clarity. The other tanks aren't placed to allow this, but are similarly transparent.

30 gallon w/White Clouds and Firebelly Newt, Tetra Viqarium w/18 watts lighting.

55 gallon w Diamond Tetras, Neon Tetras, and Bronze Cories, Marineland 660 powerhead on a Filter-Max V Pro, EcoComplete w/30 watts lighting and DIY CO2.

75 gallon w/ Senegal Bichirs, Marineland 660 powerhead on a Filter-Max V Pro, EcoComplete w/30 watts lighting, and DIY CO2.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I also use Purigen, but my water didn't get crystal clear until I used the water clarifier that's packaged with Eco-complete.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 11:18 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/67%)
I don't use any brand per se .. I simply use Floss packed tightly.

I quit!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 12:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I've used Seachem Clarity with the new Rena dual layer micron filter pad to help alleviate a green water bloom I accidentally created a while back. Otherwise, I don't even use a micron pad. I use two coarse sponges and a liter of ceramic rings in my Rena XP2 filter. This in combination of 50 % water changes is all I need to keep crystal clear water.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 02:29 PM
Banned

PTrader: (2/100%)
The only chemical I add to my water is tetra brand Aqua Safe tap water conditioner, and swear by it.

I wasnt sure if you were asking about chemical or mechanical???

I use wally world pillow batting in the light-pea green package without additives, and this stuff works way better than the stuff you can buy in the fish isle. The poly is MUCH finer, but clogs quicker...

I have crystal clear water because of establishment, and filtration...

75 gallon "Piranha Kingdom"- wet/dry, FX5, CO2, pH controller, T5HO 4x54, ferts, SunSun Pimp Club Lucky #11, Fluval Pimp Club #17
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 02:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I use AC on ocassion, but not to often. Usually when I do a big tank re-dux to help clear the water or when I dont have any dechlorinator on hand.

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 02:49 PM
GTR
Banned

PTrader: (13/100%)
On occasion I'll use Kent's liquid and run the HOT filter with pleated cartridge. Clears things up fast if I stirred the tank up planting or taking out rooted plants. I'm sure it takes some alk and other stuff with it.

I've had a pouch of Purigen in both XP3's for about a month and don't see any difference. I doubt I'll keep using it.

SteveU

Sent from my old-fashion computer with eight fingers on the home keys.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbosman View Post
I've used Seachem Clarity with the new Rena dual layer micron filter pad to help alleviate a green water bloom I accidentally created a while back. Otherwise, I don't even use a micron pad. I use two coarse sponges and a liter of ceramic rings in my Rena XP2 filter. This in combination of 50 % water changes is all I need to keep crystal clear water.
I just picked up some Seachem Clarity. Was going to buy the stuff from API, but my LFS recommended this instead.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 08:12 PM
GTR
Banned

PTrader: (13/100%)
BTW, I dose maybe half the recommend amount of Kent's product and it works fine. I looked as the Seachem directions and they don't mention anything about the alkalinity level before dosing. But they do mention there might be some cloudiness at first so I'm guessing it's the same or very similar to Kent. That cloudiness is a reaction with the ions that contribute to KH. So it's use may lower the alkalinity. That's one reason I don't dose the full amount.

SteveU

Sent from my old-fashion computer with eight fingers on the home keys.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode