New tank cycling issue - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New tank cycling issue

Hello, I just set up a 10 gallon planted tank with a few anubias , Java fern, crypt parva and staurogyne repens. It's currently stocked with 4 pygmy corydoras, and 7 red cherry shrimps, with a Betta soon on the way. I took my LFS advice and bought a bag of "matrix aquatics live freshwater biomedia". Basically a bag of biomedia with pre seeded bacteria. So I have the bag of media and a bag of eheim substrat pro in my filter. The problem is, he didn't tell me that a water conditioner would basically kill the media which I discovered after a little research. So I added the media to my filter and proceeded to add the conditioned water to my new aquarium. I tested the water 2 days later and my nitrites and nitrates are rising. I just ordered some Tetra safe start plus, it will be here in 2 days. My question is, should I replace all the media in my filter with fresh eheim substrat pro, and then use the tetra safestart, or just add the safestart to the aquarium. Or what would be the best way to go about this. Thank you for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 06:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Don't you hate it when you get the wrong stuff and advice form shops that should know better.
If using the Tetra line, you should have been given Aquasafe for the day you set up the tank, and Safestart for the day after (even better a day and a half ).

The following days you keep an eye on nitrites and especially ammonia, if over 0.5ppm add 5ml Aquasafe per gallon, if more than 3ppm, double that.

That being said, in your position I wouldn't upset the biological system any more, and just keep nitrites and ammonia low with water changes for the next 2 weeks or so. A good change every 2 days or so should keep you within parameters.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank for the advice. Does aqua safe help remove ammonia ? I thought it was just dechlorinator for tap water? I live in las Vegas, the tap water here is literally some of the hardest water in the entire country, so I ended up using spring water since it's only a 10 gallon tank. Im really stressing out over my tank, i just got the safestart this morning in the mail, should I perform a large water change to reduce ammonia and nitrates , then add the safe start? Or will aquasafe reduce it?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 06:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

It doesn't say so on the bottle, but the instructions I gave you are from my own records and taken off their product data and instruction sheets.

Normally I would go I would go with a large water change, but don't think the shrimps will like it much. You could also think about using something like Prime, it actually states how many ppm of ammonia etc. it will bind. If you have a dangerous spike you could break out the ammolock, but I wouldn't leave it in long term in a planted tank and might be counter productive in getting your bacteria count up.

Do NOT use aquasafe and quickstart on the same day, regardless of how you decide to proceed. There are many roads, but time is the main thing that is needed for tank to establish itself, all we need to do is make sure we don't expose our pets to the rough bits in the road too much (or at all if possible), and to be consistent.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you very much for your help, one last question, how long should I wait after using aquasafe to add the safe start? Or can I use it immediately? Sorry for all the questions this is my first tank

Edit

Wow sorry I didn't even see the ending of your post thank you
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I just realized you said that the following days after using the safestart, I should add 5 ml of aquasafe per gallon if my ammonia is over .5 ppm. So that would be 50 ml of aquasafe? Is that right? That sounds like alot. Also is it okay use aquasafe after using safe start? Or is it only bad to use both products in the same day?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 07:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

5ml per 5 gallon, so 2 teaspoons...

I would gave the safestart a day or so before adding anything else to it

I see aquasafe locks chloramine, so I recon it will lock ammonia too.

Quote:
Neutralises harmful substances for nature-like aquarium water
Substances in the tap water which are harmful to fish are immediately neutralized: Chlorine and Chloramine are eliminated and heavy metals like copper, zinc and lead are bound completely by a complexing agent
Promotes clear and healthy water
Contains bio colloids for beneficial bacteria growth which supports the creation of clear water

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode