quarantine question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
quarantine question

i've tried searching but nothing popping up for me. or maybe i'm just searching the wrong words.

anyways, i have a quarantine tank running for about 2 weeks now with 20 serpaes and 5 otos (10 gal tank with aquaclear 30 and a sponge filter and 75w submersible heater) - so far so good! but my question is...am i suppose to be giving them medicine regardless? because all i'm doing right now is just letting them swim around in a bare tank (well i threw in one java fern plant with 3-4 leaves its a small one) and doing weekly 50% water change and feeding them flakes/algae wafer random times (sometimes once a day, sometimes i skip a day, sometimes a few days in a row).

getting excited about moving them over to the main 90gal soon. and also, when i bring them over to the main tank, should i acclimate them as well? or can i just net the fish out of the tank and them put them over to the new tank?

thank you in advance
steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 10:16 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
It depends on you and the medicine.
Some people add medicine regardless, some don't. And take note that most medicines are stressful to the fish.

The meds that are added are usually antibiotics and dewormers which generally not stressful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 10:19 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I worm mine in QT, but I don't use antibiotics or anything else unless they're showing symptoms of something wrong.

And if you do a few partial water changes in the QT tank replacing it with water from the main tank (say 25% every day) for a few days, you should be able to just move the fish right over, given the tanks are kept at the same termperature.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

sounds good, thanks guys!

probably just leave it as is and let the fish wait out a week or so and get them ready for main tank
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 12:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I deworm fish in quarantine, but do not treat with antibiotics or anything else unless they look like they need it.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

how do you deworm fish? curious. i'll be heading to the lfs anyways tonight to grab 2 assassin snails main tank getting over run!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 12:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
True quarantine is a minimum of thirty days.

I feed anti-parasite for three days, normal flake, (shrimp if I have them) for a break, anti-bacterial for five days, another break and another round of 3 days anti-parasite. This is only if there are no outward signs of problems. If I see any issues then different treatments and another 30 days.
I have fish in my main tanks now that I've had for several years it's not worth the risk.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 01:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
dewormer is for dogs. you can buy it a petco. the med you're looking for is fenbendazole. one brand name is safe-guard
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 02:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
unless the tanks are same temp and same water i would acclimate just to be safe, ive had to do both and it always seems to do better. some fish just get stressed easy so if your worried play it safe its only going to cost u 20min for your peace of mind.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 04:02 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

I use the medicated flake food from www.AngelsPlus.com.

I mix up the Metro and Fenbendazole flakes and feed for a week.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 01:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
I use the medicated flake food from www.AngelsPlus.com.
I mix up the Metro and Fenbendazole flakes and feed for a week.
???????????????????????

Newly Improved De-worming Flake - The new base formula for this flake is our Garlic Flake. We've demonstrated the effectiveness of garlic in dealing with internal worms in our own experiments. The combination of a natural de-wormer along with a very effective drug gives your fish their best chance. One feeding of this food exclusively, every other day for 5 total feedings will give the proper dosage. Feed the fish only once each day of the treatment at the end of the day. They should be kept hungry, so they will eat vigorously. Remove any uneaten medicated flake food after 3 minutes. Active ingredient: fenbendazole
Newly Improved Anti-Protozoan Flake - This is for treatment of protozoans like Hexamita and Spironucleus. Hi-Protein Flake is now used to make up the base formula for this flake. Fish that have been infected by protozoans have generally lost weight and are in need of the extra protein during their recovery period. It is most effective when combined with a heat treatment. Feed no more of this medicated flake food than the fish will eat in 2 minutes, twice/day for six consecutive days. Feed no other food during this time. Active ingredient: metronidazole

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 01:58 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

Yes, those are the ones I use.

I'm feeding both mixed together once a day for 7 days, which is a bit modified from their instructions, but in my case I'm doing this as a prophylactic measure, not treating any known infestations.

Is that your question?

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks guys, i am placing my order for the flakes as we speak. hopefully it doesn't get stuck at the customs/boarder for too long hjhaha. hoping the food will get here soon. (how do i get the otos to eat this stuff?)

edit : ouch! 8.xx for the food, 23.xx something for shipping!! :O but maybe i should just order a bit bigger supply since its already 23 bucks shipping haha.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode