How do you remove large plants? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
How do you remove large plants?

Say you are confronted with removing some extra large Sword plants without destroying the rest of your tank. How do you go about that?

Just pulling them up will cause a big mess since the roots go everywhere. It would turn the aquarium into a muddy hell.

Since the plants will go into the trash, is cutting the roots just underneath the substrate an option? Will that foul up the substrate in time? Or enrich it with organic materials?

Opinions? Experiences?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 08:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
I would just cut it off at the base if your not going to save it and let the roots turn to organic mush.

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 09:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
I was cautioned against leaving too large an organic chunk buried. Members posted that a larger root core would rot causing problems. I used scissors and cut out the main ball beneath the plant leaving the trailing branch roots. The plant was a huge center piece sword plant in a 75g that had gotten so large it was cutting the tank in half touching the glass front to back and up to the lid.

Whether or not issues will occure I don't know as I followed popular opinion and removed the majority of it.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 10:19 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
I usually just cut the roots without pulling out the whole plant. Never had any issues. It's extra nutrients for the plants.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Are these real?

Thank you for all the replies so far. I am planning to carefully cut around the plants with a sharp knife, maybe an inch or so from the stems, and then slowly wiggle them loose. That should remove much of the root mass, while not destroying the 'scape.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 10:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
you can run a Python next to the base of the sword as you pull it out so that all the gunk that is stirred up gets removed right away.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 10:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)
since you're gonna trash it anyway, why not raok it to some lucky winner?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Are these real?

Too big, and trying to plant a 30 inch sword into anything less than a pond is pretty pointless. Even then, it's much better to start small. Those things have a lifespan, and trying to revive it in a new place might not be worth it.

Plus it's a lot of work and mess to remove it with roots intact, and a bear to pack and ship.

I need to take a shot with a ruler next to them. That might explain things better than words.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 11:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
i think that turning off your filter and eliminating any water current first would be the first step. then start cutting around the plant and remove it. i wouldnt worry about leaving the roots in there. people stick root tabs under the substrate all of the time, that's much more nutrients than rotting roots will ever put in the substrate. then let the tank sit for maybe ten minutes or so to let the dust settle and turn your filter back on.

thats just what i would do
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 12:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Maybe, I like using the Python. Wouldn't worry about the smaller roots, just cut an inch around the sword to the bottom of the tank, have the siphon ready and wiggle it out best you can.

Sad to see these beauties go but they get too large.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode