Got some money to make a tank better - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Got some money to make a tank better

Hey, I've got a 4ft aquarium and at the moment it's sitting bear and covered in algae. I just had 490 and I wanted to use it to make my tank look better. I've got another 2.5foot tank that I'm using at the moment to hold my fish and grow my plants in with ferts,soil and co2 but I really want to start using my other tank and start my aquascaping. It's the stantard fluval roma 240 t8 light fixture and I want to upgrade to a t5 fixture. I want a really natural looking substrate that feeds the plants. I don't mind buying a pressurized co2 system. I was hoping to use the setup for apistogramma or other dwarf cichlid. Is it possible to get everything I want for the tank with 490?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 10:18 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/67%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigk View Post
Hey, I've got a 4ft aquarium and at the moment it's sitting bear and covered in algae. I just had 490 and I wanted to use it to make my tank look better. I've got another 2.5foot tank that I'm using at the moment to hold my fish and grow my plants in with ferts,soil and co2 but I really want to start using my other tank and start my aquascaping. It's the stantard fluval roma 240 t8 light fixture and I want to upgrade to a t5 fixture. I want a really natural looking substrate that feeds the plants. I don't mind buying a pressurized co2 system. I was hoping to use the setup for apistogramma or other dwarf cichlid. Is it possible to get everything I want for the tank with 490?
Some pictures of the existing tank would be a great start.

I quit!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I went out today and bought some soil, sand and a good pressurised co2 unit. I'm going to see how well my plants do with some ferts, soil and co2 for now and if I don't like the end result I'll upgrade the lights.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 11:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigk View Post
I went out today and bought some soil, sand and a good pressurised co2 unit. I'm going to see how well my plants do with some ferts, soil and co2 for now and if I don't like the end result I'll upgrade the lights.
Hold on, before you upgrade the lights, get your parameters in order.

How many gallons/litres is the tank? What is your dosing schedule, and how hard is your water out of the tap? If you're struggling with algae, the first things that come to mind are "too much light, not enough co2" and "what is the dosing schedule"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the reply. The tank has 240 litres(50 something gallons). I've only started the first dosage today at 4 bubbles per second just to test the new co2 system. I'm going to leave the water tonight, and do a water change tomorrow and add the ferts. I will be adding some plants and just watch them for a few days and test my water. The reason it got attacked by algae is because I was using 4 2litre bottles of diy cO2 and I left them run dry and lost interest in the tank because I didn't have the funds to make it like my other tank which is growing plants quite nicely. After a couple of weeks the algae started growing over the gravel. The new substrate is a 1.5/2inch layer of aquatic soil and just a normal 2inch overcoat of very fine gravel. I will do a water test tomorrow and post my results on here. I've ordered a hydor cO2 turbo diffuser just to see what it's like.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode