the planted tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
the planted tank?

i am new to planted tank so if you guys could help me compile a list of stuff i need that would be great! i have a few empty tanks 50g aquaeon, some 20g long tanks and a ~30g tall tank which would be best for a planted tank?

i am not new to aquariums tho, i have a 10g bowfront with guppies and some moss. and also a 72g saltwater tank.

thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 11:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
That 50G,.. is it 4 feet long? If so, it would probably be the cheapest to light with simple shoplight fixtures.

Whiskey
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 11:37 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Welcome to TPT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTeal View Post
which would be best for a planted tank?
All of them! Actually, I'd start with one of the smaller tanks so you can get down the "basics" without the larger costs involved in setting up one of the bigger tanks. Equipment and substrate add up really quickly on big tanks, and if you start with a smaller tank first, you can get a handle on what type of planted tank works for you before investing all the $$ only to wish you'd gone a different direction...

Lighting is one of the most important factors in setting up a planted tank. Light controls plant growth rates, and growth rates determine the nutrient demands of plants.

You need to decide first of all how "high tech" you want your tank to be- if you put a lot of light over the tank, you'll need to also be sure to put together a comprehensive fertilizer regimen and add a pressurized CO2 setup. High light/high tech tanks allow you to keep the widest variety of plants, and the plants will grow lush quite quickly. These tanks require at least weekly maintenance.

Low light/low tech tanks provide enough light to support plant growth, but not as much light as high tech tanks. Supplemental CO2 is often optional, and the need for fertilizers is much less. Plant growth is much slower, so these tanks are much less maintenance (and much less cost to start up).

Spend some time in the low tech forum; I personally recommend to people that their first tank be a low tech tank, as these are easier, less upfront cost, and always easy to upgrade to high tech later on if you want to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@ whiskey
the 50g is 3ft

@ lauraleellbp
i will take a look at that!

quick question for anyone to answer, i have a small square of Christmas moss and was wondering what i need to keep it growing? it is on a piece of mesh right now in the tank with some guppies
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 12:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
Quote:
@ whiskey
the 50g is 3ft

@ lauraleellbp
i will take a look at that!

quick question for anyone to answer, i have a small square of Christmas moss and was wondering what i need to keep it growing? it is on a piece of mesh right now in the tank with some guppies
The 20L would be the best to start a scape. There is allot of real estate for you to work with. A Rena XP2 or an Eheim 2215 would be a good filter choice. Your lighting will completely depend on if you want to go pressurized with co2 or not.

As far as the moss, you could put it in a cup of water in a window sill and it would be happy. Very undemanding.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 12:51 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Yea moss could careless. I got a crap load of weeping moss in a 10 gal just floating around, with like 5 watts of light for my boesemani fry to chill in
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i will be using the long tank and i have a fluval 205, is that good enough?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 01:02 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Quote:
i have a fluval 205, can i use that ?
Absolutely.

Which tank you talking about, though?

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

oo i edited the post lol
i will be using the 20g long tank for now
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i have a few questions
i have a few pieces of driftwood. what do i have to do to cover it with moss?
and how do i know what kind of wood it is?

what kind of substrate do i need for a planted tank?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 06:38 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
if you could post pics, I'm sure someone could ID the wood for you. I use polyester string when attaching moss to something. Some mosses don't always attach themselves to wood/ rocks.
And my last piece of advice, and I'm surprised you haven't heard it yet in this thread from grumpy old PTers would be to use the search bar at the top of the page. More info than you could ever hope to find on this site alone haha. Good luck

-Chris

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode