Moving from Cali to Texas - The Planted Tank Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
So I'm planning to move from Cali to Texas.

I have 1 eb Acara, 3 angel fish, 1 Bolivian, 2 GBR, 1 clown pleco, 2 silver flying foxes, and a couple corys..

Any one got any ideas? I been watch YouTube videos..but I'm torn between throwing them in bags or putting in a big container with bubblers..

And then if you might have any advice or some shipping supplies for the long drive I am willing to pay? So let me know please and thanks

Don't want to get rid of the fish...I like to take the chance and try to move them..so advice or supplies let me know

Last edited by Darkblade48; 06-18-2016 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 04:31 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Are you drying them? I'd just buy a few coolers and put the fishes in there. Don't over crowd and open them for air every day in the drive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 05:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I've moved fish several different times and different ways. Some work well and some can be disasters waiting to happen. You might be able to get by with the quickie ways like buckets or you might find yourself trying to find water and picking the fish up off the floor! Unexpected quick stops should be part of the plan.
The only way I will now move fish is just as if I were shipping them. Some minor changes can be made if you are doing the handling yourself.
I use bags from a fish store for the smallish types and larger trash bags for single large fish. I split the fish who might be a problem to each of the other types. Then I bag them in enough water to be able to swim upright and as much air as possible. then I turn that bag upside down in another bag. This double bag will make the corners round out to avoid a fish head first in the corner. These bags then go into some form of box. Styro coolers are cheap if you don't have one but cardboard will do.
Seal the bags and leave them. Cut off food a couple days before the move to cut the waste! If you have something like Safe, Chloram-X, etc. use it as well.
Just keep the boxes where you are comfortable and they will be fine for more than a couple days.
At night in the areas you will likely cross, I take the box inside if staying overnight.
No bubbler needed if the air is in the bag. The splashing will stir the water. Just use big bags that hold lots of air with just enough water. They need air more than water!
Hilde and Hilde like this.

Last edited by PlantedRich; 06-17-2016 at 05:26 PM. Reason: add

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 07:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Also be aware coming to Texas......
Most of us have liquid rock.
8.0 pH and up. Word of warning lol.
Adapt accordingly.
JuanSan and JuanSan like this.

Active - 3x 55g, 1x20T
Inactive - 25g, 20T, 10g, 2.5g
Sunsun Pimp #95
“You can all go to hell; I will go to Texas”
David Crockett
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 08:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
I wouldn't overthink the transportation portion of it.
The water hardness may be an issue, unless you plan on running r/o. If that's the case you could buy the first few water changes worth.
Get a battery powered airator.. Bags, buckets, whatever you have that can contain them.
Some fish an be a real pain to catch up (flying foxes) diy trap is an option. Get started days in advanced.
Do daily water changes.
I've moved tanks from Ohio to Florida without a single loss.
It's science
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestarbandit View Post
Also be aware coming to Texas......
Most of us have liquid rock.
8.0 pH and up. Word of warning lol.
Adapt accordingly.
Lol I'm moving to the Carrollton so any advice for that..also would happen to the about any co2 refill areas

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
Are you drying them? I'd just buy a few coolers and put the fishes in there. Don't over crowd and open them for air every day in the drive.

Drying them?? Ya it should be a day to day and half drive from where I'm at to where I'm going

I'm not planning to use r/o 😔 Don't have the funds for it plus I will be moving in with sister in law and they have an r/o system for their saltwater tank...I did buy battery power air pumps...ya I'm gonna need to start buying some stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikevwall View Post
I wouldn't overthink the transportation portion of it.
The water hardness may be an issue, unless you plan on running r/o. If that's the case you could buy the first few water changes worth.
Get a battery powered airator.. Bags, buckets, whatever you have that can contain them.
Some fish an be a real pain to catch up (flying foxes) diy trap is an option. Get started days in advanced.
Do daily water changes.
I've moved tanks from Ohio to Florida without a single loss.
It's science

Last edited by Darkblade48; 06-18-2016 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 02:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Off topic a little, but congrats on getting out of Cali. This place is becoming a cesspool of insanity!
cobra, cobra, patfat and 1 others like this.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hahah thanks!! Don't get me wrong I love Cali grew up there for the last 25 years...but it's starting going down hill fast with all its regulations and bull!! Have a future sister in law in Texas and she gave us a way out even a place to stay till we're on our feet!! So honestly we said screw it lets take the risk haha!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
Off topic a little, but congrats on getting out of Cali. This place is becoming a cesspool of insanity!
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 05:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Frying pan into the fire sound familiar?
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 07:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Wrong lol. Even major businesses are abandoning Cali (and other states) for Texas.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Active - 3x 55g, 1x20T
Inactive - 25g, 20T, 10g, 2.5g
Sunsun Pimp #95
“You can all go to hell; I will go to Texas”
David Crockett
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 09:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

All born- in Texans know that! It's part of the insanity!
There's good reason for it to be among the last few states to be fully settled.
It's the only state that only gets one star.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 06:05 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Keep in mind that travelling from Cali to Texas at this time of year means a lot of warm weather and in your car it will get even hotter for your fish likely. I would start by looking up online guides for shipping fish with the styrofoam containers, breather bags, methylene blue etc. Insulation is going to be key for keeping your fish could, if you can I would put your styrofoam box in a large picnic cooler and fill it up with water, this should provide something to regulate the temperature around the fish.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshwaterAdvice View Post
Keep in mind that travelling from Cali to Texas at this time of year means a lot of warm weather and in your car it will get even hotter for your fish likely. I would start by looking up online guides for shipping fish with the styrofoam containers, breather bags, methylene blue etc. Insulation is going to be key for keeping your fish could, if you can I would put your styrofoam box in a large picnic cooler and fill it up with water, this should provide something to regulate the temperature around the fish.
Thank you for the advice well I found out I will be moving after October so it should be a lot cooler! But I was thinking breather bags with stress coat and in a cooler or a styrofoam box..also I found out that I will be using ro water
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

quick question for all with the air in the bag..does everyone do the whole grab the bag fast trick like petco/petsmart or compressed air like some of the good LFS?? because more then likely ill be the bag fast trick. Also great news my sister in law has the whole ro/di system for her salt water tank. But says that I will be using that system for my fish and not any straight from the tap business! Which is pretty awesome! Any who looks like I'll be leaving after October at the start of November. So it will be a little/lot cooler which I find that its going to make it easier on the travel. Being able to throw blankets and clothes all around the box to keep it warm.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 04:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Having worked in pet stores a lot, years ago, I learned the "fast grab" technique, but one store I worked at used bottled oxygen from an air line, which is what some wholesalers use for livestock that will be traveling for a few days. However, when I moved from Mississippi to Florida, I just used large buckets and coolers to move the fish in, with ariation provided once I got there, while I set up the tanks. Just remember to open the container now and then to let fresh air in, and to not feed them for a couple of days before the move (to cut down on wastes in the water during transport) and do reasonable water changes if you have to leave them in the transporting buckets/coolers for a few days while you get tanks set up.

Oh, and also, don't water them before the trip, because freshwater fish urinate in the water more than saltwater fish, anyway.
patfat and patfat like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode