Cloudy water in new tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cloudy water in new tank

Hello everyone-

I set up my tank yesterday and it's been running since then. The water has been slightly cloudy since the start but it seems somehow worse today. The cloudiness is whitish gray, not brown like you'd expect with tannins. (I've only put flourite, driftwood, and rocks in it. Nothing else.) s this normal? Is it from the substrate? How long will this go on and is there anything I can do to help it?

This is what it looked like yesterday. (Please excuse the aquascape. I'm still working on it.)

Here's what it looks like today:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 08:28 PM
Algae Grower

Sounds like a bacterial bloom, should clear up in a few days. When the water does clear, get a magnifying glass and look real close at the glass, you should see a plethora of little organisms (infusoria). no worries
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This is a dumb question but where'd the bacteria come from? The wood? I haven't added anything to the tank.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 08:42 PM
Algae Grower

The only dumb question is the one not asked.
Bacteria are every ware; they probably were there from the start, on your wood, glass substrate etc.
infusoria
Did you use tap water?
Did you use something to remove chlorine?
looks like a good size tank, is it a tall tank?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 08:43 PM
Algae Grower

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrock View Post
The only dumb question is the one not asked.
Bacteria are every ware; they probably were there from the start, on your wood, glass substrate etc.
infusoria
Did you use tap water?
Did you use something to remove chlorine?
looks like a good size tank, is it a tall tank?
I did use tap water. I forget that probably has some bacteria, right? I did use dechlorinator. It is a 65 gallon tank--36x18x24.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 09:42 PM
Algae Grower

if your on city water then there was most likely none in your tap water, the chlorine/ chloramines put into the water will kill most bacteria. your bacterial bloom will not hurt anything (as long as you don't drink your aquarium water ).

It's kinda cool to look at all the micro-fauna that will eat the bulk of the bacteria. It should show in a week or less, and at the same time you should see the cloudiness subside. I put a small amount of plant material in a 20G to "seed" the water with bacteria "infusoria" that I pulled from an existing (fully cycled ) tank.
I managed to raise 1 fish from doing this see here
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 10:30 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Basically a sign of imbalances... to help it go away, plant! Live growing plants are the best to get a tank balanced. They eat up any intermediate products of the nitrogen cycle, and give beneficial bacteria a lot of area to settle down on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 10:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
It could very well be a bacterial bloom, but it could also be the substrate, or a combination of the both.

Did you wash your substrate before adding it to the tank, OP? You didn't mention it in your original post. Also what brand is the flourite? From my experience Seachem seems to be fine but the knockoff brands come with gunk in em'.

January winter brings the cold on me, February breezes blow my worries to sea, and March brings memories remembering pain, but April sweet April you only bring rain.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 10:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Could it be phosphates from the tap water, or iron precipitation if you're doing Fe? I had the same problem a few days ago. For me I think it was iron (Fe). Today, I cut back the iron and it's better.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteplanter View Post
It could very well be a bacterial bloom, but it could also be the substrate, or a combination of the both.

Did you wash your substrate before adding it to the tank, OP? You didn't mention it in your original post. Also what brand is the flourite? From my experience Seachem seems to be fine but the knockoff brands come with gunk in em'.
Yes-I washed the substrate quite a bit. It is Seachem Flourite.

I will be planting the tank either today or tomorrow when the plants arrive. I don't have any other planted tanks so I cannot seed the tank with plants but I could add some gravel or filter media from my other non-planted tank.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 04:29 AM
Algae Grower

takes a while to clear up. dont worry about it
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 08:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

If its not better in 1-2 weeks you can begin to troubleshoot more. Some of the cloudiness is the substrate dust that is there even after washing. Part of it is bacterial as several people have suggested. Much of it is the tank starting itself up to let it go, plant, and see what happens. I was worried about my tank when i started it (because I did not wash the flourite very well) and it wasnt going away. I used some flocculation agents before i planted it and it helped some. But once everything was planted its been clearing up much quicker. Good luck and post some planted pics

Have you ever seen a French Ninja? NO because they are sneaky.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 03:02 AM
Algae Grower

Looks like you didn't completely strain your flourite, but it could also just be a bacterial bloom. Wait a few days and get back to us.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The cloudiness seems to be subsiding today.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode