height of Aquarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
height of Aquarium

hi guys,

this is currently my aquarium, size 142 x 60 x 80 (LxDxH) unit is in cm.

I'm thinking of recycling this tank, and wondering if i should just make it 60cm tall instead of its current height 80cm.

80cm tank is nice when you want to keep discus, which is the original intentions of this tank. but along the way, i feel that i like more doing aquascaping then keeping a very nice fish.

80cm tank is hard to play around.
so my question is there any benefit for 80cm tank for aquascaing that i missed?

it appears to me that these days everyone going for 60cm tank, i mean just look at all IAPLC entries....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 02:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

I've been in the hobby for many years but only recently planted my 60g [low tech] tank. (Finnex Planted+ 24/7 in 24/7 mode, silica [pool filter] sand substrate).
For me, it's a fish tank and the plants just help me create a nicer, more natural habitat for the fish with the added benefit that the plants aid greatly in water purification. With Cory's and the Malaysian Trumpet Snails I've added, in addition to bio-load and measured tank/filter maintenance, I'm looking to create a balanced eco-system with minimal chemicals.
Now my 60g is 24" high which is around 60cm and I wouldn't want anything any taller. As it is, at this depth, carpet plants prolly wouldn't get enough light unless I put the light in max for an extended photoperiod.
On the other hand, it seems to me with sufficient lighting intensity/photoperiod nearly any height would work as long as you find the sweet spot balance of lighting, ferts and CO2 (if you go there).

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 04:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
The only reason I wouldn't want a 80 cm high tank is because I couldn't possibly reach the substrate without getting all wet, and thus getting the floor all wet. For me, that is too important to ever use that tall a tank. Lighting such a tall tank, and expecting to grow a good carpet, would probably mean some very bright lights suspended a couple of feet above the top of the tank, or a light with the LEDs spread out evenly all over the top of the tank. This would be to prevent having very, very high light near the water surface in order to have usable light at the substrate.

Hoppy

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

in my case, to get good carpet, i have to put the metal halide 10" above the water.
green dust algae on the glass is always there, no matter how long is the photo period. at some point i the lights on only for 4 hours a days, but GDA still there

the solution is not to have carpet, and use combination of sands and slow growth plants like anubias or buchepalandra.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode