220 Used Price - The Planted Tank Forum
 6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Holmdel New Jersey
Posts: 164
220 Used Price

I came across a posting on Craigslist for a used 220 for $750. I was able to get the seller to lower their asking to $500. I am wondering if $500 is a good price for a 220 tank, stand and light fixture. The tank has been cared for and still is full of water but not fish. Was wondering what everyone's thoughts are.
Daniel12490 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 11:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Seattle_Aquarist's Avatar
 
PTrader: (65/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,618
Hi Daniel12490,

Every market is a little different, here in Seattle a dollar a gallon is a typical price for a used tank / light / stand unless it is extraordinary and has a lot of expensive "extras".

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
Seattle_Aquarist is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 11:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PlantedRich's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 12,108
So much depends on the market and lots of small details. Tanks can be good or bad even when cared for if the person doing it is careless about the way they scrape algae. Check the silicone.
Stands can be made well or not worth hauling home. Lights can fall into the same category.
So the real price has to be what you feel it is worth to you personally versus what the seller feels is right. If you really, really want it, it will be worth too much. But if the seller really, really wants to get rid of it so he can move, he might be willing to give it away.
For that tank, $500 might be right in my area but the time of year changes that as well. People move when school is out and when they move they sell things cheaper.
Hoppy and Hoppy like this.
PlantedRich is offline  
 
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 03:07 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
AbbeysDad's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Central New York, USA
Posts: 1,360
Lets break it down. In good condition, the 220 tank is prolly worth about $250. If the light(s) would support plants, I'd say $100...if only for viewing fish then $25-$50. The stand, if sturdy and in good shape $50~. So $500 is a top end price.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.


What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AbbeysDad is online now  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 04:06 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
lksdrinker's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: NY; LETS GO METS
Posts: 1,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel12490 View Post
I came across a posting on Craigslist for a used 220 for $750. I was able to get the seller to lower their asking to $500. I am wondering if $500 is a good price for a 220 tank, stand and light fixture. The tank has been cared for and still is full of water but not fish. Was wondering what everyone's thoughts are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi Daniel12490,

Every market is a little different, here in Seattle a dollar a gallon is a typical price for a used tank / light / stand unless it is extraordinary and has a lot of expensive "extras".
I tend to see/think/find the dollar per gallon rule really only applies for "standard" sized tanks up to about a 55 gallon (as thats how the stores handle it and you wont get anything larger than a 55 for $1/gallon nor will you get any "oddball" sized tanks for that cheap price either.) I believe a new 220 with all the goodies would be in the $1000 range easily from any of the stores. I'd personally feel pretty proud if I could get a 220 gallon (tank alone) in the $250 range....but I'm a cheapskate when it comes to buying used equipment lol.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
lksdrinker is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 04:28 PM
Are these real?
 
Wasserpest's Avatar
 
PTrader: (195/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 15,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by lksdrinker View Post
I tend to see/think/find the dollar per gallon rule really only applies for "standard" sized tanks up to about a 55 gallon (as thats how the stores handle it and you wont get anything larger than a 55 for $1/gallon nor will you get any "oddball" sized tanks for that cheap price either.) I believe a new 220 with all the goodies would be in the $1000 range easily from any of the stores. I'd personally feel pretty proud if I could get a 220 gallon (tank alone) in the $250 range....but I'm a cheapskate when it comes to buying used equipment lol.
The $/gal up to 55gals is for NEW tanks. I would start with 50% for anything used (in impeccable condition). Much less if scratched etc.
Now for larger tanks, I'd agree with Seattle, a good starting point would be 1$/gal for the tank. If it isn't scratched or chipped etc.
Stand may or may not add to that significantly. If it is a regular store stand, and shows some signs of wear, I'd start with "would you throw that in for free?". Now if it is a hand-scraped Mahogany masterpiece, you'll have to decide what it is worth to you, whether it fits into your current room design, etc.
Used lights should also start at 50% of the original price, if in excellent condition. Filters, same, depending on the brand.

Not knowing exactly what comes with it I'd say $500 is a bit on the high side.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wasserpest is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 04:29 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 70
It amazes me how little you guys think stuff is worth.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KC1994 is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 04:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Western Montana
Posts: 850
craigslist here is full of used 30 gallon kits for 250,fwiw.Cheap light,filter and all,and maybe some cheesy plastic decorations.

MTS? no,I just need one more tank...
MtAnimals is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 04:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (84/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 21,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC1994 View Post
It amazes me how little you guys think stuff is worth.
Nothing has a true worth, except legal currency. "Worth" means different things to different people, and even then it depends on the circumstances. Many of us have tried to sell aquariums, only to find that buyers are only interested if it is a steal. But, I have sold a few tanks for what I thought was a lot more than they were worth.

If I wanted a 220 gallon, or similar size tank, and was going to get one regardless of the cost, I would be in seventh heaven if I could do so for $500, for a tank in excellent condition, with a stand in usable condition. The light would just be something I would probably have to throw away. So, if that was my circumstances, this tank would be well worth it.
Veritas and Veritas like this.

Hoppy
Hoppy is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 04:52 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 70
220 Used Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Nothing has a true worth, except legal currency. "Worth" means different things to different people, and even then it depends on the circumstances. Many of us have tried to sell aquariums, only to find that buyers are only interested if it is a steal. But, I have sold a few tanks for what I thought was a lot more than they were worth.



If I wanted a 220 gallon, or similar size tank, and was going to get one regardless of the cost, I would be in seventh heaven if I could do so for $500, for a tank in excellent condition, with a stand in usable condition. The light would just be something I would probably have to throw away. So, if that was my circumstances, this tank would be well worth it.


Same here. But as a seller, you have to ride out the people who only want to buy if they can lowball you. A new 220 costs about a grand plus tax just for the tank. As you said, there are tons of variables. Good ole America for you, quantity before quality.

Like the post above "$1 per gallon for tank, stand, and light" so $220 for a 220, stand, and light. Lol. May as well just give it away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KC1994 is offline  
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 05:12 PM
Are these real?
 
Wasserpest's Avatar
 
PTrader: (195/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 15,635
Some things depreciate faster than others. The $1600 maxed out Dell Laptop that I got 6 years ago, plus 2 docking stations, upgraded fast and large SSD, all in perfect condition, would probably fetch 200-300 bux now. Yes, I should just give it away, realizing that it's current worth has nothing to do with what I (or my employer) paid for it.

Aquariums are different than technology. Still, in the end it doesn't matter much what it costs when it is new. It's worth what someone will pay for it. If you pay $750... than that's what it is worth!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wasserpest is offline  
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 05:24 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
Some things depreciate faster than others. The $1600 maxed out Dell Laptop that I got 6 years ago, plus 2 docking stations, upgraded fast and large SSD, all in perfect condition, would probably fetch 200-300 bux now. Yes, I should just give it away, realizing that it's current worth has nothing to do with what I (or my employer) paid for it.

Aquariums are different than technology. Still, in the end it doesn't matter much what it costs when it is new. It's worth what someone will pay for it. If you pay $750... than that's what it is worth!


Yeah I hear you on that one for sure.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KC1994 is offline  
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 05:28 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
lksdrinker's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: NY; LETS GO METS
Posts: 1,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
The $/gal up to 55gals is for NEW tanks. I would start with 50% for anything used (in impeccable condition). Much less if scratched etc.
Now for larger tanks, I'd agree with Seattle, a good starting point would be 1$/gal for the tank.

Not knowing exactly what comes with it I'd say $500 is a bit on the high side.

50% of what though? The $1/gallon sale price that comes around every so often; or the normal, new (incredibly inflated for no good reason) price from the store?

I know things vary regionally, but $1/gallon for anything over 55 or maybe 75 gallons seems like a pipe dream to me....even when talking used prices for here in NY anyway. Of course that doesn't mean it isnt worth trying to offer any lowball figure you want! I'm amazed at how few people try to negotiate when I'm trying to sell something; and I'm just as amazed at how many sellers will take a low ball offer no questions asked when I'm trying to buy! I personally always ask for 2x as much as I'm willing to take assuming there will be some negotiation (from a craigslist ad anyway); and when there is no negotiation it just works out that much better for me!
KC1994 and KC1994 like this.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
lksdrinker is offline  
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 05:47 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
GrampsGrunge's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Diatom Alley, Lakeside, OR
Posts: 1,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC1994 View Post
It amazes me how little you guys think stuff is worth.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I sold my 55 gallon with stand here locally for $60. You can't convince someone of the tank's integrity and the stand quality if they're not educated enough to know quality to begin with.

The stand BTW, was built from True-Temper Chrome-Moly bicycle frame tubing and black powder coated by a professional powder-coater. I paid $40+ dollars on the coating alone. I was working in a tandem bicycle frame building shop and the stand was my cross-training project. I TIG welded that stand, and the 55 gallon was recently purchased new.

I was initially asking $135. The only offer I ever got on that tank and stand for over 9 months on Craigslist was $60. It was ludicrous but I needed the cash. The invisible hand of the marketplace must have thought I deserved the middle finger, I'm guessing.

I retrospect, I should have kept it...

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GrampsGrunge is offline  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 05:49 PM
Are these real?
 
Wasserpest's Avatar
 
PTrader: (195/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 15,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by lksdrinker View Post
50% of what though? The $1/gallon sale price that comes around every so often; or the normal, new (incredibly inflated for no good reason) price from the store?
50% of the $1/gal new price. So 50c/gal for used tanks. Again, this is for UP TO 55gal tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksdrinker View Post
I know things vary regionally, but $1/gallon for anything over 55 or maybe 75 gallons seems like a pipe dream to me....even when talking used prices for here in NY anyway.
Yep definitely need to make regional adjustments. Prolly double for NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksdrinker View Post
Of course that doesn't mean it isnt worth trying to offer any lowball figure you want! I'm amazed at how few people try to negotiate when I'm trying to sell something; and I'm just as amazed at how many sellers will take a low ball offer no questions asked when I'm trying to buy! I personally always ask for 2x as much as I'm willing to take assuming there will be some negotiation (from a craigslist ad anyway); and when there is no negotiation it just works out that much better for me!
Yeah, depends on the items. I usually go about 20% over what I really want, and expect a low-baller to offer 20% less. 2x seems a bit excessive, but yeah, great if the buyer just pulls out the cash!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wasserpest is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome