Circulation Q's for a Newbie - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Circulation Q's for a Newbie

Hi All

I have kept fish for a while but started planting out a 600L/150G tank purchased late last year.
I have made all of the standard beginner mistakes and am just getting myself out of a cynobacteria outbreak also (thanks to some proper fertilisation). I also removed quite a bit of 'rockery' to improve the water flow around the tank.
I am running an Aqua One 2400 canister filter (which came with the tank) but I dont think this provides enough circulation (via spray bar).

This and the BGA outbreak is what brings me to ask the following questions.

With 10 times water volume as recommended turnover for a planted tank does this turnover need to be filtered?
Do/should I add another external filter to provide this additional filtered circulation or will a circulation pump provide all that is needed?

No CO2 is being added to the tank at this time, only Seachem products

I am not too sure which direction I should go with this and was hoping someone from TPT could help?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 01:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Circulated water does not have to be filtered. Get a Korelia. Great flow without blowing stuff away.

In my 125 I have an Eheim Pro II, a Pro III, a Maxi-Jet 1200, and a Korelia II.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 03:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
That's a big tank and will be a huge bio-filter when planted.

Turnover and flow rate are not necessarily as imporant as just eliminating dead spots. You're filter needs adequate turnover, or more accurately your water needs adequate contact time with bio-media. Slow flow over a lot of media is the same result as fast flow over little media...might even be superior.

Flow speed isn't the important metric. Thorough flow is what's important. Also, understand physics. If you're sucking water out of one side and returning it to the other side, water HAS to move across the tank. Use accessories to eliminate dead spots but don't worry about turning your tank into a waterslide. Try not to direct your powerheads to counter the natural flow of water from the outflow to inflow. that can create eddies and dead spots too.

For a tank this size a dual filter solution might be a best first step.

Good luck

Eheim Pimp Club member #414, 2076 Pro 3e
Fluval G6

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thankyou houstonhobby and NJAquaBarren for your replies.

The additional filtration has always been on my mind and I agree with you NJ that drawing water from one side and returning it to the other will always naturally cause water to circulate.
It is the dead spots, and amount of circulation, that seem to have caused me grief in the past. I was not too sure how I should address this when it comes time to 'rescaping' my now reasonably bare tank.
Your answers have been very helpful

Thankyou

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode