Clear Water - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By PlantedRich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Clear Water

Just a curious question. I spoke with a guy at the local aquarium store and he mentioned that I could drop a piece of, I think it was filter floss in my tank for a few hours to clear up my water a bit. I was wondering if anyone has tried this or if there's another product out there that you can drop in to the water on its own that'll pick up small debris and clear the water. I don't want to add chemical, or add anything in to my filter. I'm really just being picky about clear water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 07:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Sounds like a bit too simple to me unless he left out some details!
While there is good reason to believe filter floss will help to clear water when we add it to a filter, I see no reason to think it will suck it out all by itself while floating.
Maybe if the filter floss had good bacteria in/on it, it would give more bacteria to clear ammonia but that's not what he meant??/
It is possible that you could change the way the tank looks by adjusting the media in the filter. There are times when too much tiny debris is passing through the filter and adding something that strains finer bits can help. But many times it is at the risk of adding too much and it winds up clogging and reduces the flow. We can shoot ourselves in the foot!
I find adding simple filter floss can let it wad up more than I like, so I use a cut to fit blue/whited bonded pad at times.
thedood and thedood like this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 08:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I agree, they definitely left out a few steps / details.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 08:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
If you really want some water clearing abilities if I might I would recommend purigen. It does have to go in a filter. Purigen is rechargeable by cleaning in bleach water. I have two bags for each tank. I change them out every or every other water change.

75G Seachem Flourite

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20H Seachem Flourite with DIY Canopy/Cooling System

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

10G Low Tech Shrimp Tank - Archive

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 08:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

You can use filter pads to help clear out the smaller debris that would otherwise bypass a regular filter sponge. Filter floss does a good job as well, Both are much cheaper in places like a craft store instead of buying them in a pet store.

I use pads that I cut to size and Purigen. I like my fish to look as though they are suspended in air, so I get the whole water clarity thing.

I think this floating things in a tank to clarify water is new trend in pet stores. I read somewhere somebody tried to float a bag of Purigen in their tank, then complained that it didn't work. Of course it didn't work, it needs to go in the filter.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 11:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooch View Post
I think this floating things in a tank to clarify water is new trend in pet stores. I read somewhere somebody tried to float a bag of Purigen in their tank, then complained that it didn't work. Of course it didn't work, it needs to go in the filter.
The water kinda needs to come into contact with the media for it to work doesnt it? LOL People crack me up.

75G Seachem Flourite

20H Seachem Flourite with DIY Canopy/Cooling System

10G Low Tech Shrimp Tank - Archive

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedood View Post
If you really want some water clearing abilities if I might I would recommend purigen. It does have to go in a filter. Purigen is rechargeable by cleaning in bleach water. I have two bags for each tank. I change them out every or every other water change.
Thanks for the tip. I'll check that out

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Sounds like a bit too simple to me unless he left out some details!
While there is good reason to believe filter floss will help to clear water when we add it to a filter, I see no reason to think it will suck it out all by itself while floating.
Maybe if the filter floss had good bacteria in/on it, it would give more bacteria to clear ammonia but that's not what he meant??/
It is possible that you could change the way the tank looks by adjusting the media in the filter. There are times when too much tiny debris is passing through the filter and adding something that strains finer bits can help. But many times it is at the risk of adding too much and it winds up clogging and reduces the flow. We can shoot ourselves in the foot!
I find adding simple filter floss can let it wad up more than I like, so I use a cut to fit blue/whited bonded pad at times.
Ugh I thought it sounded to good to be true....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooch View Post
You can use filter pads to help clear out the smaller debris that would otherwise bypass a regular filter sponge. Filter floss does a good job as well, Both are much cheaper in places like a craft store instead of buying them in a pet store.

I use pads that I cut to size and Purigen. I like my fish to look as though they are suspended in air, so I get the whole water clarity thing.

The clearer the better! I love the crystal clear look

Last edited by Darkblade48; 06-16-2016 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 03:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

Polyester 'filter floss' is an excellent filtration medium (I use in my filters) and when purchased at my local Wally mart, is very inexpensive. However, it doesn't absorb impurities so just dipping it in water is pretty foolish. I think whoever you spoke with is either misinformed or was just messing with you.
Seachem Purigen is an excellent product that adsorbs organics. I used it all the time before I planted my tank. I resist now as I'm seeking a balanced eco-system with minimum chemicals. However, it can aid is crystal clear water.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 03:37 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
I have purigen, filter floss and 50 Micron Pads in one of my two canisters and purigen and fine filter pads in my larger FX6.

I find that filter floss and the micron pads need to be replaced/cleaned weekly.. I keep them in my eheim because it's really easy to access and clean. Keep less polishing media in the fluval because it's heavier, more of a pain to clean.

IME the purigen and micron pads (if you don't mind the maintenance) work wonders.. with the filter floss or fine pads being just a bit behind in performance.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 03:42 PM
Planted Member

You can get these filters in various micron sizes, pictured is a 10 micron, I also have a 30 and 50 micron filter. It will polish your water up very quickly. I've also attached it to the intake of the HOB filter, albeit a tad slower it still accomplishes the same job.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	algae filter.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	643641  

Learning what I can..

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode