Aquarium Storage - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Aquarium Storage

Hi Everyone,

Really random question but I am buying a used 180 gallon tank of craigslist that is over ten years old. The woman has had the tank in her shed standing upright for the past few months. Should I have any concern that the tank has been stored that way rather than being stored on the bottom glass? I know it is random but with a tank weighing so much while empty I am unsure of any negative side effects the weight may have caused.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 01:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I wouldn't have any concerns. But I would inspect all the silicone beads very well. Look for air pockets / bubbles in the inner beads (the thin layer between the panels). If it was stored on a flat, level surface it shouldn't cause an issue. Being in a shed, there's also the possibility that mice may have taken a liking to the silicone, but that would be visible immediately. After a good rinsing, a wipedown with peroxide would be a good idea too.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 01:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have bought several tanks out of storage without problems. One thing to watch is the way people may have treated the tank while stored. I bought one that had an oil can sitting in it!
My first move after cleaning the major stuff is to do a bleach soak. Bleach is what they use to clean all the things like tanks, pumps and pipes when they build the water system as it is the most effective. Once I let it set overnight or so, I drain and rinse the tank and that leaves the chlorine content pretty much gone or at least diluted to near the same level as tap water.
Simple, cheap, and easy way to remove the doubts about what may have been in the tank before. I think of it as kind of like washing my plate before I eat. We could likely get away without doing it but why try it?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 02:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
A 10 year old tank is probably due for resealing (not disassembly, just inner seams), I would bear that in mind when making offers so you can bargain on buying some silicon.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 02:37 PM
Planted Member

One of the local fish stores has all of their large tanks stored like that around the shop (several 180s and 210s). I can't imagine they would want to risk damaging the tanks.

-Justin
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 04:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

If it's been out of the sun and stored dry, I'd say it's probably good to go.

Always test a used tank for integrity by filling it with water on a sturdy, flat level surface, and letting it sit for a few days before setting up.

Like the others said, inspect very carefully. I'd look for trails of old water spotting/boiler scale on the lower tank edges and the under-glass that might indicate a leak.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode