Anyone from South Florida go exploring for plants? - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Anyone from South Florida go exploring for plants?

Anyone from South Florida go exploring for plants in local lakes or wetland areas?

If so, could you recommend a location that you find exotic plants?

Thanks.

75 Gallon community planted Aquarium. Pearl Gourami,Golden barbs, zebra, pearl Danios,black neon tetra, glow-light, denson barb, Rasboras, cherry barbs, fancy tail guppies, hachet fish, rosy tetra, flame tetra
29 gallon Gold fish tank(1 large fish)
55 gallon planted red cherry shrimp tank, otto, neon tetra, white cloud.
10 gallon betta tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 11:25 AM
Planted Member

I live in St Petersburg but I was thinking of taking a trip up to the Ocala area (Dunnellon) to snorkel the Rainbow river for just that. It's clear water and you could see the depths for "invasive" species. This state has a lot of invasives. Do you have and spring fed rivers like that closer to you? Snorkelling is a lot less scary in crystal clear water in the land of gators.

Sent from my Z813 using Tapatalk

Projects

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 01:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I would assume it to be a natural in Florida. The spring fed rivers here have lots of plants that we use. The water is a bit cold in the spring water but that's part of the price. Hillsborough River might be a place to start as long as you get out of the parks. No need to press the rules when the same plants grow outside the parks as inside.
I find a canoe is good for getting to and from the right spots and it isn't too bad to bail out here and there instead of swimming all the way. Depends on what part of the state you want to search?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monrankim View Post
I live in St Petersburg but I was thinking of taking a trip up to the Ocala area (Dunnellon) to snorkel the Rainbow river for just that. It's clear water and you could see the depths for "invasive" species. This state has a lot of invasives. Do you have and spring fed rivers like that closer to you? Snorkelling is a lot less scary in crystal clear water in the land of gators.

Yeah, speaking of gators. Did you hear what happen at Disney world? Some little kid was attacked by a gator right in front of Disney nicest hotel! Right in the resort area. Disney also had the brain eating bacteria in the water there which cause river country to get shut down.

Ocala is a nice area, I actually own some property there as an investment and travel to Ocala once in a while. I may have to checkout this rainbow river.

The area that I live has an ocean and saltwater. I also know of some brackish water areas( not sure if these can live in Freshwater too).

I am not sure where there might be freshwater other than man made lakes for parks. I am going to have to checkout google maps and look for a place.

Let me know how the plant hunt goes or if you find any new locations.

Thanks.

75 Gallon community planted Aquarium. Pearl Gourami,Golden barbs, zebra, pearl Danios,black neon tetra, glow-light, denson barb, Rasboras, cherry barbs, fancy tail guppies, hachet fish, rosy tetra, flame tetra
10 gallon betta tank
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 03:25 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceLord View Post
Yeah, speaking of gators. Did you hear what happen at Disney world? Some little kid was attacked by a gator right in front of Disney nicest hotel! Right in the resort area. Disney also had the brain eating bacteria in the water there which cause river country to get shut down.

Ocala is a nice area, I actually own some property there as an investment and travel to Ocala once in a while. I may have to checkout this rainbow river.

The area that I live has an ocean and saltwater. I also know of some brackish water areas( not sure if these can live in Freshwater too).

I am not sure where there might be freshwater other than man made lakes for parks. I am going to have to checkout google maps and look for a place.

Let me know how the plant hunt goes or if you find any new locations.

Thanks.
Yes that was unbelievable. In the Ocala area I used to snorkel a lot in the rivers and at the time I considered alligators shy scary looking creatures but didn't worry about them and in the years past I have heard all of these stories of attacks. I would see them in the water but they would always go the opposite direction. I suppose a large mammal is quite different than a small one to a gator. It has been years since I have made it up that way since moving to St Petersburg but very soon I am going to try and make it up to Dunnellon and the Rainbow river. I know that there are a lot of plants that would work great in a planted tank. Um going to snorkel so I can look for plants in deeper of shaded areas so hopefully u can find some variety in lighting needs in plants.

Projects

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 07:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

When I lived in Florida, I used to go to the Wekiva River, just West of Sanford, for collecting plants and fish, but that was many years ago. A canoe or John boat would be best, since it is very shallow, but the water was extremely clear and there were plants everywhere, along with tons of sailfin mollies.
matt11390 and matt11390 like this.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 12:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
I live in homestead, fl.
As south as it gets.
Took a trip to Gainesville a week ago and collected out of springs and off a buddies 450,000 acre lease.
I could show you the pics of what I got. A few are still unidentified.
Tons of invasives in south Florida.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikevwall View Post
I live in homestead, fl.
As south as it gets.
Took a trip to Gainesville a week ago and collected out of springs and off a buddies 450,000 acre lease.
I could show you the pics of what I got. A few are still unidentified.
Tons of invasives in south Florida.
SHOW ME!!!!!!!!!

Also, you actually have me beat as far as how far south you are but not by much.

Have you been to Redland's Winery or Mamma Mia pizzeria?

I did a bull run style road rally riot there in which we race our cars and solve clues to win the ultimate prize.

Anyway, I would like to see the type of plants you collected. So the nearest place is around 400 miles away in Gainesville?

Thanks.

10 gallon betta tank
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 11:31 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
SHOW ME!!!!!!!!!

Also, you actually have me beat as far as how far south you are but not by much.

Have you been to Redland's Winery or Mamma Mia pizzeria?

I did a bull run style road rally riot there in which we race our cars and solve clues to win the ultimate prize.

Anyway, I would like to see the type of plants you collected. So the nearest place is around 400 miles away in Gainesville?

Thanks.
Schneblys winery is about ten minutes from my house.
Yea the momma mias pizza in homestead is pretty good.
Text me and I'll send you pics. 561 722 7367
And no, you don't have to drive to Gainesville to collect plants, but there are different species the further north you go.

A DIY kinda GUY
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 04:31 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olskule View Post
When I lived in Florida, I used to go to the Wekiva River, just West of Sanford, for collecting plants and fish, but that was many years ago. A canoe or John boat would be best, since it is very shallow, but the water was extremely clear and there were plants everywhere, along with tons of sailfin mollies.
That would be so cool to see the mollies swimming around the plants in a natural habitat! I remember watching a nature documentary based on fresh water caverns in Mexico and the mollies were abundant in those waters. They can be very beautiful.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 10:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt11390 View Post
That would be so cool to see the mollies swimming around the plants in a natural habitat! I remember watching a nature documentary based on fresh water caverns in Mexico and the mollies were abundant in those waters. They can be very beautiful.
The first time we went camping there, at Wekiva Falls, which is a huge free-flowing spring that flowed out of the top of two chess rook-like concrete towers into a basin dug into the hill to form a shallow, sandy swimming area, then flowed down a stream to the Wekiva River. There was a lot of vegetation along the stream sides, and that's where all the mollies were hanging out. The next time we went, a couple of years later, the flow from the second spring head had apparently slowed, so they took the tower out and replaced it with a cement cone which sprayed the water all around it, and they had also cut all the aquatic vegetation away from the stream banks (too "snakey" for the public, I guess), so the mollies were no longer there. In just a couple of years, you could see the effects of the overpopulation of Florida on the environment, as in the reduced water table/spring flow and the destruction of the mollies' habitat, all just to adjust to the preferences of mankind, and that was even decades ago. I imagine it's worse now. It's sad to see how Florida is being changed by man, and that's not even mentioning all the invasive species of plants and animals that have been introduced.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 12:11 AM
Algae Grower

I didn't even know of this place. We are camping people and this place looks like a good place to go. And maybe while I'm there I might do a little collecting of plants.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olskule View Post
The first time we went camping there, at Wekiva Falls, which is a huge free-flowing spring that flowed out of the top of two chess rook-like concrete towers into a basin dug into the hill to form a shallow, sandy swimming area, then flowed down a stream to the Wekiva River. There was a lot of vegetation along the stream sides, and that's where all the mollies were hanging out. The next time we went, a couple of years later, the flow from the second spring head had apparently slowed, so they took the tower out and replaced it with a cement cone which sprayed the water all around it, and they had also cut all the aquatic vegetation away from the stream banks (too "snakey" for the public, I guess), so the mollies were no longer there. In just a couple of years, you could see the effects of the overpopulation of Florida on the environment, as in the reduced water table/spring flow and the destruction of the mollies' habitat, all just to adjust to the preferences of mankind, and that was even decades ago. I imagine it's worse now. It's sad to see how Florida is being changed by man, and that's not even mentioning all the invasive species of plants and animals that have been introduced.
Yeah, not only is overpopulation bad for all the obvious reasons as well as the reasons you listed but some of the people they are bringing in are terrorist sleeper cells or sympathizers with terrorist who wish us harm. Just look at what happen in Orlando a few weeks ago. Its like we are destroying the molly's population so we can have the benefit of mass shootings or bombings or plane hijacking. This is the benefit that we are destroying the environment for? No thanks!

I would rather have the mollies.

10 gallon betta tank
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 06:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangepunkins View Post
I didn't even know of this place. We are camping people and this place looks like a good place to go. And maybe while I'm there I might do a little collecting of plants.
Orangepunkins, if you go to Wekiva Falls, let me know how it goes and what it's like now. I may want to take a little collecting trip back there soon, but not if it won't be anything like what I remember. I'd hate to drive all the way down there just to be disappointed.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 12:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Anyone have pics from their trips? I love seeing shots of fish in the wild.

Quote:
Yeah, not only is overpopulation bad for all the obvious reasons as well as the reasons you listed but some of the people they are bringing in are terrorist sleeper cells or sympathizers with terrorist who wish us harm. Just look at what happen in Orlando a few weeks ago. Its like we are destroying the molly's population so we can have the benefit of mass shootings or bombings or plane hijacking. This is the benefit that we are destroying the environment for? No thanks!

I would rather have the mollies.

Spacelord, you might want to remember that this is an international forum. There are plenty of members here who aren't American and who would probably be insulted by your implication that foreigners are unwelcome.
Soxfandowd and Soxfandowd like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode