Using a glass top... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Using a glass top...

I am setting up a 65g tank. This is my first tank and I have a question about glass tops. I see many planted tanks with open tops. I am concerned about the safety with a tank that's open. I have a canopy so my kids and cat can't get into the tank but the lights I have sit on the tank and I'm worried that they might fall in if I don't use a glass top. I will have about 2wpg on this tank and am worried that the glass top will make that too little light. (I'm trying for low tech but don't want the tank to be too dark.) Can I use a glass top if I keep it very clean or is it just not a good idea? If I use it, should I get more lighting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 07:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
a glass top will decrease your light availability to your plants but in such a small amout it wont matter. if the top gives you a peice of mind i say go for it!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 07:32 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
My cats loved getting on top of the aquarium. They would sit on top of the light bar. They are wayyyyy too fat to be doing that however. The plastic started cracking, but nobody ever fell in. I tried double sided tape on top of it, and all that did was make it ugly and overheat, it didn't deter the cat... I didn't use a glass top on this tank..

I did some measurements with my light meter for you. I took a kinda dirty glass panel and stuck it between my light and my meter. It reduced light by 10%. I got it wet, and it reduced light by about 20%. It did spike up to 50% briefly. I have another glass top that is heavily etched from sitting on a tank for 3 years, and I got pretty similar results. I think most glass reduces light by about 5%...

I think it would be fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 07:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
+1
Just keep it clean and try not to scratch it up with the fixture on it.

Clint

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 11:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
You can get some cheap screen material and make a cover. You can just anchor it with some acrylic sheeting or velcro.

Have you ever seen a French Ninja? NO because they are sneaky.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode