Setting up my fry tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
Setting up my fry tank

Well, I got some endlers recently from a member but while I was waiting from them, I had to completely start my 5.5 isolation tank over because of a mycobaterium infection. I had to bleach it all and start over. Well the tank is back up now and I just got the endlers today. So of course, just starting it back up today, it isn't cycled. I filled it up with aquarium water from my 75. I filled it up only about 4 gallons though because it is a DIY rimless I made and it bows when filled more than that and well I guess I get scared of it busting. Anyhow, I have 3 small babies in there and four 1-inch size adults. I am using a 10 gallon power filter with a diy prefilter sponge( Cut up a car washing sponge and made ridges and cuts to make a big surface area. It is my make shift sponge filter until my new sponge filter arrives for drs foster and smith) I have a heater going and have some carbon cartridge in the power filter. They seem happy at the moment. It is a bare bottom tank. I added some frogbit and duck weed to help breakdown the bioload. What should I do to get this tank cycled fast? I have an established 75 gallon and 20 gallon. I am running two filters on the 20. I am thinking of taking a lot of the ceramic bio pieces out of the 20 and put them in the endler tank, in the filter of course. I can also cut up a FILTHY sponge from the filter as well and put that in the iso tank filter. I also have some seachem stability to try out. I figure this stuff alone should have this tank moving fast. What do you think? Also do you think a bare glass bottom for a isolation/fry tank is better than substrate? Any opinions on this factor? I figured it would be easier to maintain and clean than using a substrate. Also I don't have any plants in the tank that need to be rooted, only floaters.

Thanks,
Bryan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Algae Supporter #1 (BBA) - Rena Filstar #150 (XP3/XP2)

Last edited by PRSRocker3390; 04-01-2010 at 01:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 06:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to funkyfish
If you used water from an established tank I think you might be OK. I would definitely use some ceramic bio pieces and use an old sponge as well, it will speed up the process, if you got more plants you can add into the tank just throw it in there. Did you add any prime or other water conditioner? If not do it. Watch them closely and do frequent water tests. But i really think you should be fine and if you still not sure put them in a different tank for now if thats possible.

"There is a fine line between Hobby and Mental illness."
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 06:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
if its just for fry then i would leave it bare but i would add some decor to give them safe spots to hide. i do this till there around ¼-½inch then i put them in a grow out tank to plump up. there +/- to both sides with no substrate just keep ur filter stable so u dont make ur lvls get out of wack. i always refil with water from another tank, just do that for a little till its established and you shouldnt have probs.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Foam!

That's what I was thinking. I am going to add the old ceramic pieces and sponge ASAP and use water from my 75 mixed with some tap to do water changes.

Next question is, the rimless 5.5 that they are in is fine but it isn't sitting evenly because the shelf its on isn't leveled right but it is the only spot I have. The corners of the tank all sit flush against the shelf as well as the left and right sides. But on the front and back sides, in the middle, there is an 1/8th to 1/16th inch gap between tank and shelf. So from this you can see the shelf is a little bit bowed in the middle. What kind of foam can I put under the rimless to make it even, like to distribute the weight evenly? Is it something I can buy at home depot or even a craft store? Maybe styrofoam, I don't know.... I know someone here will know!

Thanks all,
Bryan

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 06:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
I've often robbed filter material from established tanks when setting up new tanks or quarantine tanks, and it has worked well for me. I have also sometimes taken gravel from an established tank, and put it in a mesh bag in the filter.

I don't know how much benefit water from an established tank is --I don't know how much of the friendly bacteria are in the water column.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 06:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
If you cover the water surface with duckweed you won't be likely to ever see an ammonia problem. Endlers don't produce much, to start with, and baby endlers would produce a lot less. The duckweed will use the ammonia for nutrients. I would add a tiny bit of KH2PO4 to the water to help the duckweed use the ammonia.

Hoppy
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Cool, so how about the foam? What should I do about leveling out the rimless tank? (read my previous post above this one for more details)

Thanks

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Oh and how about riccia as just a floating mat? Do you think that will suck up ammonia like the duckweed and frogbit. I like the way the riccia looks better but also need something as efficient as duckweed. Any floaters will grow in this tank, I am not concerned about that. I am using a simple metal clamp lamp fixture with a 23 watt spiral compact flourescent 6700k about a foot above the tank. If it winds up to be too much light, I am not concerned because I would want a little bit of algae to grow so the fry can eat off of it and pick at it.

Also don't forget my foam question...

Thanks all!

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I just set got a new sponge filter for the 5.5 endler fry tank. I am right now running a 10 gallon rated HOB filter with a carbon cartridge. I then shove in some old cut up dirty sponge from my aquaclear 50, and placed a bag of year old ceramic pieces directly in the tank. The HOB also has a sponge in the intake. Trying to establish the tank really fast as you see. I mean I already have six endlers (4 one inch size and two babies in there right now and they are all healthy). Well the new question is, Should I run the sponge filter in the 5.5 for a couple weeks with the hob going as well? (the HOB filter is new and only running since 3 days ago. It just has old sponge in it) Or should I run the sponge filter in my 75 gallon that is established for a couple weeks and then switch it over to the 5.5 and get rid of the HOB? Regardless, I want to get rid of the HOB eventually.

Also, How about something under this rimless tank for leveling??? I need someone's experience with this element of the tank since this is my first rimless and never had this problem before.

Thanks,
Bryan

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode