Anyone Survive Termite Fumigation? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Anyone Survive Termite Fumigation?

I've read some threads from folks who have covered and/or wrapped their tanks during a 2 day fumigation but was wondering if this would work for 7 days. I live in a condo complex and the whole building has to be gassed with Vikane.
I'm thinking that if I create a large air space above the tank with heavy plastic sheeting and keep my canister filter running I might be okay. I'll unplug the lights to prevent heat buildup.
Its a 90 gallon heavily planted tank, so uprooting the plants and removing the fish would be a major pita.
Any ideas would be welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 07:42 AM
Algae Grower

I wish I can help but I cannot. The only reply I can give that might slightly help your situation is this. My apartment was recently fumigated for german roaches. The Eclipse system 2 was shutoff but the 36 gallon with the canister I left up and running. I through a comforter over the top of the tank and left the canister running. Everyone survived with not even the slightest hint of shock. BUT............the apartment only needed to be evacuated for 5 hours. I cannot give a reply to 7 days. I would think that the tenant law would work in this case if you need to leave the prperty for 7 days, they need to offer you a suitable place to stay for that period and also relocate you live animals also. Including fish. I would see what they say and maybe even contact a renters rights agancy and see what the laws are. Hope this helps.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 02:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I would pull livestock drop a heater in a bucket and put a hob on the side and take them with you while you have to be out of the apt. saran wrap the top of the tank and let it go

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SunSun Pimp #2
Fluval Ebi Pimp #4

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 02:29 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I'd call the pest control company and see what they have to say about the chemical they're using versus live fish. 7 days is a long time...

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 03:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
I'd call the pest control company and see what they have to say about the chemical they're using versus live fish. 7 days is a long time...
i second that, a lot of the chemicals used wont affect humans, fish, just things with exo skelatons. but definatley check with the company because if there fumigating that may not be the case.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the replys.I'm not so much worried about the chemical itself, just the fact the tank will be blacked out for 7 days.The Vikane gas is applied for between 15-24 hours so the bulk of the time will be spent putting up and taking down the tenting.
Since I'm an owner I'll have to cover the cost for relocating for the week, and I don't have much faith in leaving my stock at the local fish store. So, I'm gonna take a vacation and hope for the best.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 01:00 AM
FSM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Get some rubbermaid tubs and put the fish in those.

The fumigant isn't very soluble in water, but I wouldn't take the chance.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 02:29 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Won't the electricity be turned off at the main breaker, too?

I had to have one of our listings tented last year and if I remember correctly, we had to shut off the breakers...

If that's the case, you'll lose filtration too- so I'd move the fish.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Won't the electricity be turned off at the main breaker, too?

I had to have one of our listings tented last year and if I remember correctly, we had to shut off the breakers...

If that's the case, you'll lose filtration too- so I'd move the fish.
No, the power will stay on,but they advised us to turn off our water heaters as the water will be shut off.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 05:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
i dont understand the point of shuting off the water

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode