Is it bad to have Co2 in a tank with a Denson barb? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By GrampsGrunge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is it bad to have Co2 in a tank with a Denson barb?

Is it bad to have Co2 in a tank with a Denson barb?

I was reading in a another forum about how well oxygenated the water should be with a Denson barb. Does that mean that Co2 in a Denson barb tank is bad or only if you don't have enough plants?

Thanks

75 Gallon community planted Aquarium. Pearl Gourami,Golden barbs, zebra, pearl Danios,black neon tetra, glow-light, denson barb, Rasboras, cherry barbs, fancy tail guppies, hachet fish, rosy tetra, flame tetra
29 gallon Gold fish tank(1 large fish)
55 gallon planted red cherry shrimp tank, otto, neon tetra, white cloud.
10 gallon betta tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 11:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
not bad, just make sure your co2 level is not to high or u'll gas them. do u have plants? if not, no reasons to use co2. but make sure u have lots of flow. these guys love high flow water.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonD70s View Post
not bad, just make sure your co2 level is not to high or u'll gas them. do u have plants? if not, no reasons to use co2. but make sure u have lots of flow. these guys love high flow water.
I have a 75 gallon tank with a Sunsun / Aquatop canister filter rated at 264 gph coming out of a spray bar on the side of the tank as well as some air bubbles.

I have seen videos of people doing Co2 with 1 bubble per second.

What do you think would be safer? Like 1 bubble every 2 or 3 seconds?

Perhaps I could add a powerhead or wavemaker to the tank for added water flow. What do you think?

75 Gallon community planted Aquarium. Pearl Gourami,Golden barbs, zebra, pearl Danios,black neon tetra, glow-light, denson barb, Rasboras, cherry barbs, fancy tail guppies, hachet fish, rosy tetra, flame tetra
10 gallon betta tank

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 04:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

CO2 and O2 are not mutually exclusive, you can have both.
First make sure O2 levels are good, then increase CO2 to deal with extra surface agitation.

A well planted tank with good lighting will have higher O2 than not, while getting CO2.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 05:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

CO2 injection should only be used when there's a large amount of healthy, fast growing plants. If you are concerned about having too much CO2, don't buy the equipment, don't heavily stock your tank with plants. You can do well with less injection using a 1.3 liter, yeast/sugar DIY bottle. Depends on how big the tank is you are growing them in.

What would be more important with Denison Barbs is having adequate water circulation and reduced temperatures, running 70~74 degrees. This will increase the oxygen levels.
Nordic and Nordic like this.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 07:41 AM
Algae Grower

For what it's worth, they are sociable fish. Get a bunch of them - your tank is a nice size. Give them live food and blood worms and they will love you. Females are slightly duller than the males. They grow to a fair size on par with adult Siamese algae eaters. As stated above, they enjoy a good water flow. They are exceptionally fast and agile when the need arises. Clean water is a must. I run my tank at 78 degrees, lots of plants and liquid CO2. No problems.

Water, water everywhere...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
First make sure O2 levels are good, then increase CO2 to deal with extra surface agitation.

A well planted tank with good lighting will have higher O2 than not, while getting CO2.
How do I make sure O2 levels are good? Just look to see how many dead fish there are ?

There is no way to monitor O2 levels in an Aquarium like hospitals can measure O2 levels in your blood? Like with sensors or test kits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrampsGrunge View Post
CO2 injection should only be used when there's a large amount of healthy, fast growing plants. If you are concerned about having too much CO2, don't buy the equipment, don't heavily stock your tank with plants. You can do well with less injection using a 1.3 liter, yeast/sugar DIY bottle. Depends on how big the tank is you are growing them in.

What would be more important with Denison Barbs is having adequate water circulation and reduced temperatures, running 70~74 degrees. This will increase the oxygen levels.
Is injected Co2 only done when plants are dying from lack of Co2?

I was under the impression that certain plants required C02 or they would die or never grow ?

My impression that buying a big enough supply of Sugar was expensive and the reaction would produce alcohol(get mormon friends mad at me) at well as kill the yeast when it got to like 15% as well as possible kill the fish from the Alcohol unless you used another bottle in the middle and ran it though water which would act like a DIY filter of sorts.

You need a overgrown planted tank to do Co2 right?

Is that your understanding as well?

Thanks.

10 gallon betta tank

Last edited by Darkblade48; 06-13-2016 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 09:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

You don't need a meter to tell you your tank is well oxygenated. Are your plants pearling, is your surface clean of biofilms, does your water circulate well so water at the bottom gets to the surface? These are things your eyes can tell you. Of coarse when the lights go off you can not rely on photosynthesis for oxygen, and the plants and algae will start to use oxygen themselves. But I still don't think you need to meter O2.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 11:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
+1. Another truth that isn't told enough. Your water can have plenty of both.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 02:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

It occurs to me that if one is not able to grow plants without CO2 you're probably doing something wrong.

It's not my job to run further down the rabbit hole the OP presented about Mormons and alcohol...

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrampsGrunge View Post
It occurs to me that if one is not able to grow plants without CO2 you're probably doing something wrong.

It's not my job to run further down the rabbit hole the OP presented about Mormons and alcohol...
I am saying that when I look up plants online, some of them say Co2 medium, Co2 high requirement,etc..

These are the published specs online for the plants, not something that I have experienced myself.

Are you saying you can grow a carpet of dwarf baby years without Co2?

P.S. The Mormons and alcohol thing is not a joke. They are actually flying over from Utah to see me tomorrow and might freak out if they seem something that looks like a bootlegging operation.

10 gallon betta tank
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 02:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
While CO2 and O2 don't displace each other, and you can have plenty of both dissolved in the water, doesn't mean the livestock is able to get enough O2 in their blood when there is high levels of CO2.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterLife View Post
While CO2 and O2 don't displace each other, and you can have plenty of both dissolved in the water, doesn't mean the livestock is able to get enough O2 in their blood when there is high levels of CO2.
Is that only true to a certain level? At a certain point, if you have too much Co2, then there is no room for oxygen?

Thanks.

10 gallon betta tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode