Brazilian Pennywort as a Floater - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Brazilian Pennywort as a Floater

Hi guys,

Wondering if anybody uses brazilian pennywort as a floating plant? If so, could you please post up a picture? I'm curious how it looks as a floating plant as opposed to being planted. Thank you ~ Google decided to not be my friend today, ha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 12:07 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I couldn't find any pictures of mine, but I had some floating in my 90gal for a while. I really liked the way it looked with the tangle of stems and tufts of roots, and the fish really loved it too, just I have so much surface movement in the tank that it would get too pushed around and over and under and the long stems and leaves inevitably would catch and get tangled in my driftwood... I eventually pulled it b/c most plants don't like being aquatic tumbleweeds and it finally gave up on me and pooped out lol

All that to say- I think it's a lovely floater, you may need to do something to hold it in one stable position if you use it, though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 01:30 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)
I will try to get some photos of mine tonight. I use one of the suction cup clips to hold a group of stems together and let it float. I have to trim it back by the handful every few weeks. It provides a lot of cover, but can get messy if you do not take it out and rinse it.

I resorted to this "floating" method when my cichlids refused to leave it planted. Works great and much better with overflows than frogbit or other floaters because it stays put!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I plan on planting it, but I want to keep options open (or a backup if I just get that lazy, haha). Does it grow horizontally though? I'm having trouble imagining how it grows as a floater.

I'll probably have to stabilize it, somehow. Maybe have a tall plant hang on to it? I'll experiment around once I buy it, but thank you for the ideas ~

For the suction cup clips, does it go underwater at all? I'm afraid my betta will nip at it, he's too curious.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 05:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to funkyfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodstock View Post
I plan on planting it, but I want to keep options open (or a backup if I just get that lazy, haha). Does it grow horizontally though?
I have it planted and it does grow horizontally, but since my last trim one of them started growing horizontal, but it really got big since the last trim so maybe thats why.

"There is a fine line between Hobby and Mental illness."
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 05:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I use them as floaters in a 5.5g. I clamped the stems together (like they come from the store) and affixed them to the outflow of my Eheim Liberty HOB filter. The flow keeps the pennywort nice and straight. Looks good.

Pimp Club Member #313
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So when floating, it grows horizontally along the water's surface? And thanks guys ~
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 01:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

hydrocotyle is often used floating or fully submersed

Robert Paul Hudson

Kindness like love is unconditional
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 05:10 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

That looks awesome robert!

I just posted some pics of mine. Originally it was planted in the soil but all but one stem became unrooted.

I've taken these stems and attached them to the side of my tank using suction cup airline tub holders just under the surface, hoping it will go emergent.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 08:14 PM
Algae Grower

I do and it grows quick. It will grow along the top and start wrapping around itself and growing downward. Every 2-3 wks, I pull it all out, detangle, clip and reattach a few stems to my filter intake tube. I am not using my CO2 and only using one of my T5HO bulbs with amost no fertilizing and it still grows like mad.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode