Liquid's Planted 75 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Liquid's Planted 75

FINALLY!!

I cannot tell you all how long I have waited to get this puppy up and running. I have owned this 75gal tank now for almost 2 years, and it has sat quietly and sadly, empty in my garage. Due to the roller coaster that is life's turn of events, I was not able to get it started as soon as I would like. BUT that is all about to change. I told the wife I am getting rid of our love seat, and making room for another love of mine. (She didn't like that joke.) I have been so grateful to all of you that have had the patience and support for answering my noobish questions regarding my other tanks, and I am now hoping to call on you all once more to help me achieve planted tank harmony.

After scoring a mind blowing deal on the this tank stand last year from Petsmart, I'm finally able to put it all together. Now that it has a home, time to start installing power, and getting the tank painted.

Somethin fishy goin on here? No, everything's burgery. - Jim Gaffigan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The equipment I will be using for the job. Open to any and all suggestions. Im hitting this tank hard this weekend!

Filter - Marineland C-360
[IMG][/IMG]

I was on the fence about what filter to get. I use Fluval filters on my other 2 tanks, but I honestly feel that their "suction" quality isnt the best. I have push debris toward the intake, and seen just a gentle pull toward the intake on both of my models. Both are installed below their tanks, and there is no added polishing pads blocking water flow. Not saying they aren't a good product, Im just ready to explore other options.

I had heard good things about the SunSun filter, and the price was right, so I was aiming for that. I then noticed that so many filters have this design, including the Marineland. As luck would have it, I was in a Petsmart a few weeks ago, and I noticed a big 30% off sticker on this filter. Apparently it had been returned the next day, and all that was missing was the polishing pads. It was also on sale, so I was able to get it 30% off its sale price! Ended up spending around $90 bucks on it. Took it home, and set it up on my 55 gallon to get the some good bacteria going into it, and its working like a champ with no problems.

Lighting - Finnex 24/7 Planted Plus

I love these lights. Not having to worry about connecting stuff to timers is really nice and convenient, not to mention all the cool colors you can change it too. I work really late hours and am a total night owl, so I want to be able to appreciate the tanks at that time. These lights help me do that. I have my new 48" on the way, and was wondering....Should I put 2 of them on here?

Substrate - Florin Volcanit Rio Escuro - F

Ive heard wonders about this substrate, and decided to stop my dirted tank route, and do this instead. I waited on purchasing this substrate in hopes to get it on sale, and my patience was rewarded. This past holiday season, Dr Foster & smith had a really nice holiday sale. (25% Off I think?) I picked up 7 bags. Once they were delivered, 2 of them were split open inside the box. One was bad, but the other was manageable. I called them and they sent me 2 more bags, free of charge! So I have a little more substrate to use than planned. I have an idea about its scape, but for now, i just want to get it filled and going. Ill make the aesthetic changes I want once its cycled.

Powerhead - Hydor Koralia Pump 565 GPH

Hoping this helps create a good current to help push around C02, and helps get debris to the filter intake.

C02 Tank - 10lb Tank, and I just installed a new Aquatek Premium Regulator on it. My old one was crappy so this should fix that problem.

Last edited by LiQuiD SmoKe; 06-11-2016 at 10:02 PM. Reason: ...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 10:01 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Congrats on all the good deals on equipment. Looks like you have a pretty good selection.
I have one of the older Marineland C-360 filters. The only complaint I had about it was the shut off valve leaked. Moves a good amount of water, the trays fit nice and snug in the canister and never had any water quality issues (filter bypass). Your filter looks like the shut off portion has been re-designed - likely for the better.

Good choice on the Finnex light. I personally have a Satellite Plus Pro and a Satellite Plus on my 75g tank.

Also have that exact same power head - can't go wrong with Koralia pumps.

Edit, LOL - you should see how many cords I have plugged in under my tank!! 1 power strip for me is not enough - too many timers LOL

- GreggZ Tank Parameters

Last edited by Immortal1; 06-11-2016 at 10:03 PM. Reason: .

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

More Work

I think the painting is done. This is the 4th coat of paint I have put on here, and I have no more see-through areas. Roller made this job a breeze. I also got the power installed, and made holes for the C02 reactor. This stand has decent room for the two cabinets, but im not impressed with the magnet door piece. The doors seem to swing out really easily. With having a toddler around, ill have to replace these. Heading to Home Depot to get a large bucket for the filter, and ill pick up a simple cabinet closing device.

Last edited by LiQuiD SmoKe; 06-11-2016 at 10:13 PM. Reason: ...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Congrats on all the good deals on equipment. Looks like you have a pretty good selection.
I have one of the older Marineland C-360 filters. The only complaint I had about it was the shut off valve leaked. Moves a good amount of water, the trays fit nice and snug in the canister and never had any water quality issues (filter bypass). Your filter looks like the shut off portion has been re-designed - likely for the better.

Good choice on the Finnex light. I personally have a Satellite Plus Pro and a Satellite Plus on my 75g tank.

Also have that exact same power head - can't go wrong with Koralia pumps.

Edit, LOL - you should see how many cords I have plugged in under my tank!! 1 power strip for me is not enough - too many timers LOL
Thanks Immortal! Really glad I was patient with purchasing everything, because it saved me a tone of scratch.

Glad to hear you were mostly pleased with the filter. Is that the only filter that you run on your 75? I was considering adding a HOB or another canister. I would like at least double the GPH recommendations, but this is just the start.

For your lighting, do you have algae issues and what settings do you run them? Run c02 as well? I want another light., but just dont want an algae farm on my hands. Ill probably buy antoher one and figure it out though lol.

For the powerhead, where did you place yours? Is 565gph too much? Im going to be doing a Discuss/Angel/Ram/Rainbow stock, and i know the Angels are not too fond of heavy current.

I may need to install another power strip on the other side, right? :P

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 11:22 PM
Captain

That was the only filter on the tank at the time. Did just fine with my fish load. A hob would be overkill for bioload. My spray bar is upper right with powerhead under it. Your results may vary.
Both lights run 9 hours. Pro light turns on 1 hour ahead of + light. + light turns off 1 our after pro light. So, about 10 hour total light time. The pro light is running 70% white.
I am running cO2 on the tank.
Algae is minimal. Took time to get lighting cycle matched up with plant mass/growth.

I have timers on; planted plus, cO2, air pump. Plug in for; filter, planted pro, heater, powerhead, water transfer pump, heater in water transfer tank, undercabinet lighting, pH controller.

Amazed how electrical demands accumulate

- GreggZ Tank Parameters

Last edited by Immortal1; 06-11-2016 at 11:26 PM. Reason: .
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
That was the only filter on the tank at the time. Did just fine with my fish load. A hob would be overkill for bioload. My spray bar is upper right with powerhead under it. Your results may vary.
Both lights run 9 hours. Pro light turns on 1 hour ahead of + light. + light turns off 1 our after pro light. So, about 10 hour total light time. The pro light is running 70% white.
I am running cO2 on the tank.
Algae is minimal. Took time to get lighting cycle matched up with plant mass/growth.

I have timers on; planted plus, cO2, air pump. Plug in for; filter, planted pro, heater, powerhead, water transfer pump, heater in water transfer tank, undercabinet lighting, pH controller.

Amazed how electrical demands accumulate
Just enjoyed your thread on your tank, and watched your feeding video. Tank is beautiful! Just curious, why do you angle the powerhead up? I have always angled mine toward the glass while its on the side, to help create circular flow. I am no expert, and always curious what is the best place to put not only the powerheads, but also the intake and return hoses for optimal performance. I see so many different things, so love to know the input.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 01:07 AM
Captain

In my case, I am using the powerhead to get some surface agitation in addition to sturring the tank water.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 09:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

When I first put the Finnex Planted+ 24/7 (in 24/7 mode) on my established 60g (48L/13W/24H) I had almost instant algae. I clearly had the right nutrients in the water and the plants weren't established enough. In addition to algae scrubbing, I used window screen as a shade cloth for several days to reduce the midday intensity. The light remains in 24/7 mode now (window screen removed) with one exception and algae is now under control. Although it looks cool, I didn't like the amount of light in the wee hours causing the fish to remain active. I believe the fish need a period of total darkness. I put the light on a timer to come on at 6am and off at 11pm. This works well in 24/7 mode because it starts back up at 6am in 6am feature time, ramps up through midday, sunset and moonlight.
I can't imagine two of these lights on a tank unless you're really blasting high light, CO2 and ferts to accelerate plant growth. So I'd suggest holding off until you get a feel for the one light's performance on the tank. Also, I continue to run in 24/7 mode, but you could also run as a regular light on max for an extended photoperiod if you really felt you needed more light (and save the $150~ another light would cost).

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

Last edited by AbbeysDad; 06-12-2016 at 01:32 PM. Reason: update
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 11:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Someone mentioned angels. Just be careful, even a single night of 24 hour lighting can be a spawning trigger.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ugh!!!!!

Well I just rushed home to open my package of my new 24/7 planted plus, and I came home to this bull$#!+... I cant believe my eyes...

ARRRRGGHHHH!!!

Oh and for the record, those arent my feet with nail polish.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeysDad View Post
When I first put the Finnex Planted+ 24/7 (in 24/7 mode) on my established 60g (48L/13W/24H) I had almost instant algae. I clearly had the right nutrients in the water and the plants weren't established enough. In addition to algae scrubbing, I used window screen as a shade cloth for several days to reduce the midday intensity. The light remains in 24/7 mode now (window screen removed) with one exception and algae is now under control. Although it looks cool, I didn't like the amount of light in the wee hours causing the fish to remain active. I believe the fish need a period of total darkness. I put the light on a timer to come on at 6am and off at 11pm. This works well in 24/7 mode because it starts back up at 6am in 6am feature time, ramps up through midday, sunset and moonlight.
I can't imagine two of these lights on a tank unless you're really blasting high light, CO2 and ferts to accelerate plant growth. So I'd suggest holding off until you get a feel for the one light's performance on the tank. Also, I continue to run in 24/7 mode, but you could also run as a regular light on max for an extended photoperiod if you really felt you needed more light (and save the $150~ another light would cost).
I have one of these lights running on my 55 in 24/7 mode and havent had terrible issues with algae, but there has been a little. I do have c02 on that tank, but will be moving it up here once this tank is ready. I have an extra 30in 24/7 planted plus that I got off of Clist for $20, so I may just use that on a timer if I want more light.

Thats a very interesting note about the timer on this light, and something that I will consider. As I mentioned though, I work late hours between my 2 jobs, so coming home, and being up late makes me want to have a little light on the tank to enjoy. I noticed in my other tank, the fish will still lower themselves and rest during the late hours, but others will still swim around.

Last edited by LiQuiD SmoKe; 06-13-2016 at 11:03 PM. Reason: .
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 11:37 PM
Captain

Ok, for a LOL moment I thought to myself "oh, liquid smoke is a girl" - guess not :-)
As for the wonderful package handling by your shipping provider - up yeah, that is crap!!!!!

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Ok, for a LOL moment I thought to myself "oh, liquid smoke is a girl" - guess not :-)
As for the wonderful package handling by your shipping provider - up yeah, that is crap!!!!!
LOL, I know right?

Well thankfully I got a replacement and a nice apology quickly. :thumb:

After a nice long week at E3, then a busy Father's Day weekend, im back to the tank. Got the substrate in, some new driftwood in, and a large rock from my other tank to help speed up the process. Filter is hooked up, and I must say that I am very impressed with the GPH. Both intake and outtake appear to have good power. Also installed the power head and the digital thermometer. Its not much to look at now, but its on its way. Im going to focus on the aquascape after its cycled. I have lots of plants and hardscape items from my other tanks that I am going to use here, then tear down my 55 gal.

Bump: I think I am going to bring my Aquaclear 110 up and fill it full of pillow batting to clear up the water. Ill also pluck a few Jungle Val from the other tanks to help bring more good tank media in, and make it better to look at.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode