DOT and CO2 Tanks - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
DOT and CO2 Tanks

Not exactly about planted tanks so much, but related to CO2 tanks. The DOT (department of transportation) website is very hard to navigate through and find the correct info. I can't even get through to them on phone after a few hours of trying.

Is it legal to transport filled CO2 tanks by yourself, say on a U-Haul truck? Say I were to be pulled over and they needed to look in the truck, I'm not looking to be slapped with a huge fine, or worse, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 06:11 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would not want to think so... However dont take my word for it. BUt think about it, all day long people go to these welding places and get/exchange tanks and drive around with them to and from their houses and places of business. Nowhere have I ever seen or heard that you have to have a permit or anything to carry one of these tanks........

Philip
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 06:12 PM

It would be no different that driving around with a SCUBA tank in your car. Just make sure you secure the tank so the valve does not get knocked off when you are turning/braking.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yep, I was thinking the same of how people are transporting these tanks all by themselves. But then, one of the sponsers on this site said it was illegal to do so. ?? And then, at my local welding supplier, their trucks have all kinds of the required DOT diamond signs on their vehicles.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 06:15 PM

Pressurized cylinders are dangerous and should be handled with care, but there is a difference IMO between moving a 5lb co2 tank, and a truck full of oxygen, methane etc.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 06:18 PM

I can understand the DOT signs and permits when transporting these things is mass, but not just one or two cylinders. Just like the scuba example. There was nothing in class about having to have permits to carry them to the dive location...

Philip
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 06:24 PM

CO2 is not flammable I don't think. Just under high pressure so don't let the valve break off. The tank will be a rocket. Now 5lbs of propane fuel for the barbecue grille. Thats dangerous. But perfectly legal. I would think it has to do with amount and commercial licensing.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

So it seems just fine for me to go ahead then. Must have been a stupid question to begin with, but I'm still wondering why it was said somewhere on this forum transporting CO2 tanks is absolutely illegal.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 06:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Maybe it's a state issue. Could be that in some states they are more restrictive (California comes to mind).

Kevin

Kevin

72g bowfront planted, CO2, 4x - T5HO, Eheim 2213 and 2217, 2 angels, pristella tetras, blue tetras, betta, albino bristlenose pleco, albino cories. Sword, vals, hygros, ludwigias, java moss and fern, anubias

2g Mac-quarium. Clown gravel, fluorescent plastic plants, and 2 guppies.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 07:09 PM

Man... I thought this post was about Damage Over Time. Oh well...
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 07:47 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
I am sure regulations vary from state to state. There are no transportation restrictions in the State of NJ for the transport of CO2.

I know when I pick up chemicals for work there must be a rigid barrier separating the chemicals being transported from the vehicle operator. The chemical cannot be in the same compartment as the driver. Some states may treat bottled gas the same way?

I guess the best thing to do when transporting bottled CO2 is to check with your supplier and just use common sense.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 08:00 PM

iMp, I know what you mean man.
/ma "Dia II" <t>

oh, anyhow: the way I see it, Its legal for me to take my propane tank and get it filled and transport them on campers across the country. CO2 isn't flammable, so your biggest issue there is leaking gas suffocating you, or the nozzle breaks and you ahve a blunt missle. neither's too likely on a quality tank that's passed it's last inspection.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Just so we are clear, I called a local welding company that is very professional in what they do. Regulations usually start going into effect when you are getting over 1000 pounds minus the cylinders. For us, there's pretty much nothing, doesn't even have to be be secured, upright...etc.

Of course use common sense. I would secure the cylinder and keep it upright. The guy on the phone said he's heard of cases where the cylinder knob was turned open slightly by rolling around in the car and leaking gas. Way to suffocate yourself. So anyway, I mostly was concerned about getting fined - but everything seems all good.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 08:15 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^iMp^
Man... I thought this post was about Damage Over Time. Oh well...
LOL, that's what I thought as well, but then I looked at the forum that I was in and figured out that it wasn't the same.

I'm not aware of any laws in California that would prohibit the transportation of filled cylinders.

Eric

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 08:18 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Something else to keep in mind, DOT regs are only in effect for INTERstate commerce, INTRAstate is up to the individual states. Thats why you see a long haul trucker with DOT #'s on the vehicle but the local only delivery does not have them.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode