Bulk dechlorinator? - The Planted Tank Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Bulk dechlorinator?

I am going through about half a pint of the stuff a month, and prices increased 20% just over the 7 months I've been doing this again.

Does anyone make this in large bottles?

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 11:21 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Seachem Safe.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

That 1kg one looks to be at a good price point. I'm always scared with powders that some flake wont dissolve and a fish would eat it.
Is it a slower process to use than a liquid solution? I have lots of tanks to do, and a wonky back, so it takes a while already.

Looks like it will treat about 20000gals for $40 shipped.

The stuff I'm using now, treats 320gal for $2 (would be about $125 for 20k gallon)

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 11:53 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I use Seachem Safe. It is a very fine powder and will dissolve instantly. It does not clump and I only use a tiny (a pinch's worth) for each 5 gallon bucket. It will last you for a very long time.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 12:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
That 1kg one looks to be at a good price point. I'm always scared with powders that some flake wont dissolve and a fish would eat it.
Is it a slower process to use than a liquid solution? I have lots of tanks to do, and a wonky back, so it takes a while already.

The stuff I'm using now, treats 320gal for $2 (would be about $125 for 20k gallon)
No, it's not a slower process and the fish do fine with it, based on my experience. I have 15 tanks and do water changes at least weekly. I have been using Safe for several years now.

If you're worried about it being a slower process, you could mix some up with water and then put it in the tanks. I do this for smaller tanks, where it is harder to measure. For example, I'll put the requisite amount of Safe for 30g in a small jar and use it on 10g and 20g tanks.
Bushkill and Bushkill like this.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 12:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Take a look on sodium thiosulphate crystal...for dechlorinating purpose only...no ammonia remover or other bells....cheaper option
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 02:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
No, it's not a slower process and the fish do fine with it, based on my experience. I have 15 tanks and do water changes at least weekly. I have been using Safe for several years now.

If you're worried about it being a slower process, you could mix some up with water and then put it in the tanks. I do this for smaller tanks, where it is harder to measure. For example, I'll put the requisite amount of Safe for 30g in a small jar and use it on 10g and 20g tanks.

I recently switched from Prime to Safe. Safe is essentially the dry powdered version of prime. There are a few slight differences; but from a dechlorination standpoint, they do exactly the same thing and are both supposed to work instantly. The prime is a very fine powder so not much flaking or clumping can really happen; and the dosing is very very very tiny. I bought measuring spoons for fractions of a teaspoon (pinch, dash, dab, etc.) My 72 gallon tank gets 1/4 of a teaspoon if I recall correctly. I have about 17 tanks in the fishroom most of which get daily water changes and I think Safe is fantastic!

You could pre mix with some water as noted above; but dont try to store it. That is reportedly one of the big differences between prime and safe. Prime has something added that allows it to still work after its been mixed and sitting in a bottle on a shelf forever; whereas the safe somehow looses its effectiveness if mixed and kept stored.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 03:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

What about photographic Hypo?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_thiosulfate

Same stuff?

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrampsGrunge View Post
What about photographic Hypo?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_thiosulfate

Same stuff?
Yes, but sodium thiosulfate for photography may have other things mixed in.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 05:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
Yes, but sodium thiosulfate for photography may have other things mixed in.
What I was getting from the old archives of the Krib was that black and white photography Hypo was pretty much pure Sodium Thiosulfate. Have they changed the formula?

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 06:02 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/75%)
Does Safe smell bad like Prime?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 07:35 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

How big of water changes are you doing? A 10% change on a 75g tank is 7.5 gallons diluted into 67.5 gallons of existing water. Not a significant amount of chlorine when all is said and done. Unless your water supply is abnormally high in added chemicals, a 10% water change without dechlorinator shouldn't be a problem. Unless of course you keep extremely sensitive fauna. If you are doing larger changes than say, 20%, then yes i would use a good dechlorinator or if your water contains chloramines.

,2x75g, 55g, 40g breeder, 29g, 2x10g, 100g stock pond..........MTS ? Nahhhhhh
Just acquired a 150g tall and a 30g long
Fraternity of dirt #135 join--->

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrampsGrunge View Post
What I was getting from the old archives of the Krib was that black and white photography Hypo was pretty much pure Sodium Thiosulfate. Have they changed the formula?
I don't know - as long as it is pure sodium thiosulfate, it will work fine. However, since it is marketed for photography purposes, there might be a markup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton Parsons View Post
Does Safe smell bad like Prime?
It may have some slight sulfur tint, as the thiosulfate does slowly break down with time.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 04:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi All,

Sodium thiosulfate (aka B&W 'fixer') was the main ingredient (along with some buffers) of the Water-Rite product in the 1960's (and before). I used it for all my aquariums when I was a kid. Sodium thiosulfate does a fine job of removing chlorine only. As time progressed the city water utilities started adding chloromines to the water because it remains stable longer than chlorine. Unfortunately sodium thiosulfate does not neutralize chloromines which are toxic to aquatic life. I now use Seachem Prime as my dechlorinator but will likely try Seachem Safe when my Prime runs out.

Water-Rite came in tablet and powder form
GrampsGrunge and GrampsGrunge like this.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay

Last edited by Seattle_Aquarist; 06-12-2016 at 05:28 PM. Reason: sp
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 04:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

I remember that stuff, that and the Wardly DeChlor. I'm really dating myself here..

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode