Anyone use Seachem Stability? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Anyone use Seachem Stability?

When I get around to putting fish in my tank, I was considering using Stability. I've had little luck with these sorts of things before, but I've never used this one, and wondering if someone on here has. If it will ease the cycle, it's worth a shot to me. If it's a waste of money, that'd be something I'd like to know...

TIA!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Rita Mae Brown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 03:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
I just ordered some. A tiny bottle to try in my 5.5 isolation tank. I want to see if I notice any difference. I never tried it as well so I am going to test it out for myself. All these products give a bit of a bio-boost I feel but nothing that is going to instantly cycle the tank unless you get some of the more expensive ones, at least what I heard. Also some like bio-spira are usually refrigerated to keep it good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Algae Supporter #1 (BBA) - Rena Filstar #150 (XP3/XP2)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I don't really need an instant-cycle. Just something to alleviate the cycle and speed it up a bit. I'm actually starting to lean towards a "silent cycle", with treating the tank with ammonia. I just don't want to kill my plants by burning them with ammonia.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Rita Mae Brown

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 04:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

The plants will use up the ammonia. IME, My plants did some of the best growing during the initial cycle in each of my tanks. But algae will also take advantage of this too I've noticed unless you plant heavy from the start and have a good plant biomass. I would just keep the ammonia no higher than 1 ppm. I've always had my ammonia levels no higher than that while cycling and never ran into any algae blooms like green water or anything so I always stood around there. As far as speeding up the process, I dont know about this product in particular but I've used stress zyme and I felt it might have sped up the cycle about a week faster than my tanks without it but nothing remarkable. I usually give a good squeeze of a nice old sponge from my canister on an established tank into the cycling tank and that does wonders. Better than any products i've bought. At least I know my sponges from my established tanks are full of healthy and alive bacteria. Sometimes I cut off a piece of the sponge and put it in the filter of the tank that is cycling.

Bryan

EDIT: I just reworded a bunch of that better a few minutes after. It is amazing what I can find after one reread of what I just wrote. I always feel I can improve on what I write....but I digress.

Last edited by PRSRocker3390; 03-29-2010 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Saw alot of things I needed to add
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I plan on putting quite a few plants in there from the get-go. At least, kinda. I want to establish a carpet of DHG, and I assume that will take a while.

I plan on tossing a betta in the tank to begin with, to take out the inevitable snails I will get on plants, and to cycle the tank out before taking him out and putting shrimp in. I'm establishing a low-tech tank for him as well.

I guess I shouldn't worry about it too much, huh? Cycling is always such a stressful time for me, never done it with a planted tank, and I'm not looking forward to it...

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 06:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

Nothing to be stressed about. Should be easier to do with plants, IMO and IME. The hair grass is good but that does take a bit of time to establish and start growing especially in a low tech setup. Try to plant heavy with some fast growing stems and floaters. You can always remove them later when the tank is cycled and other plants start to fill in. Use some stems like most hygros, hornwort, etc., whatever works for you as well as floaters like frogbit, salvinia, duckweed (although can be a mess, I like it), etc.

With some fast growers, the ammonia should be gladly taken up by those plants and you should see little problems. If you want to cycle with a fish in there then the betta is a good choice since they are pretty hardy. I wouldn't worry to much about cycling. It is something we all have to start with and it just comes with the hobby. Once you get past this cycling stage, you will get more into your tank, especially a planted tank. This stuff is addicting.

Have fun, ask questions, make mistakes, and learn from them. These are the key things I always remember to do.

A little bit of luck will always be nice too. Good Luck!

Bryan

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 04:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
If you plant the tank heavily when you first set it up, using lots of cheap, fast growing stem plants, you don't need to cycle the tank at all. Just wait a week or two to start adding fish, a few at a time. "Heavily planted" means a stem plant for every square inch of substrate. I always start a tank this way, and even though I rarely ever plant quite that heavily, I have never had a problem with the fish.

Ammonia from fish waste is great plant food, very quickly removed by growing plants. So, you never see a buildup of ammonia when you start a tank this way. I am pretty sure you will find that all experienced planted tank people start their tanks this way, including Amano.

Hoppy
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the advice. In non-planted tanks cycling is such a pain...

I just received a couple anubias, and it looks like some duckweed traveled along as well. My experience with these is that they will just about take over my tank if I let them. I had a small betta set up a couple years ago that I tossed some java moss (LFS gave it to me) into that had a single tiny piece of duckweed in it. Between the moss and the duckweed, that tank water was pristine. This is what gave me the idea that plants could be extremely beneficial in tanks, and it was then that I started doing the research. Boy was I missing out! But I was preggo back then, and between that and employment issues, I just couldn't afford anything.

I plan on putting some hygro, ludwigia, and maybe hornwort in the ten gallon. It has some pretty intense light, so I wanted some floaters in it anyway.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 10:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captivate05 View Post
Thanks for the advice. In non-planted tanks cycling is such a pain...

I just received a couple anubias, and it looks like some duckweed traveled along as well. My experience with these is that they will just about take over my tank if I let them. I had a small betta set up a couple years ago that I tossed some java moss (LFS gave it to me) into that had a single tiny piece of duckweed in it. Between the moss and the duckweed, that tank water was pristine. This is what gave me the idea that plants could be extremely beneficial in tanks, and it was then that I started doing the research. Boy was I missing out! But I was preggo back then, and between that and employment issues, I just couldn't afford anything.

I plan on putting some hygro, ludwigia, and maybe hornwort in the ten gallon. It has some pretty intense light, so I wanted some floaters in it anyway.
Probably not duckweed but Ricciocarpus Natans, atleast that is what was flaoting above the Anubias', I wouldn't put it past having a piece or 2 of duckweed though.

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 02:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I've had great success with Stability, even in small tanks (1g). It cycled them all in 7 days. Recently, however, I've started using mulm from my established tanks and it works much faster. Just take about a pint of tankwater, squeeze the filter sponge(s) in it until the water is cloudy, then pour that into the new tank. As long as the pH is similar, the tank should be cycled within a day or two.

Proud member of

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode