DIY C02 Question...(yes for the millionth time) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY C02 Question...(yes for the millionth time)

Ok, so my recipe consists of: 2 cups white sugar; 1 teaspoon baking soda; 1/4 teaspoon of champagne yeast. Mixed the yeast in a little bit of cool water with a pinch of sugar, while I mixed the sugar in the main reactor bottle with warm water. I then added cooler water plus the yeast mixture in the main bottle. It's been sitting for about 3-4 hours with absolutely nothing happening. Should I just be patient? Or is something askew? In need of some answers, thanks..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 09:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I think the cool water is your problem.

I always mix my yeast in warmish (not hot) water in a small cup. I then fill my bottle with the sugar, add warm water. Shake furiously until it all desolves. I then add the yeast mixture, add in some more water to the desired level and give it another shake. I will usually have action within 20 minutes.

The warm water will activate the yeast quicker, as well as help to dissolve the sugar faster.

You may also have a leak somewhere, how did you connect all the tubing?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 09:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Cool water shouldn't hurt it, warm water just helps speed it up...

What are you using to diffuse co2? Is it a glass diffuser? If you unscrew the cap does any gas release?

Are you sure it doesn't leak anywhere? Even a small leak will make the entire system useless in DIY co2 setups.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

the tubing going through the holes in the bottle tops are very snug alone, but I added a liberal amount of aquarium silicone around all the joints.. Should I be seeing bubbles or any other action in the actual reactor bottle? thanks for your reply, I will try different water temps.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

using a glass diffuser with internal bubble counter.. hmmm I really doubt there is a leak, but how would I know?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 10:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I would open the bottle and check if there is a pressure release. If there isn't, I would say there is a problem with your mixture. If there is, it means you are generating gas, and you have a leak OR you are having trouble diffusing into the water.

What kind of a diffuser are you using? I think some of them don't work with DIY CO2 because there is not enough pressure to pass the bubbles through.

To check that, I would remove the tubing from the diffuser and leave the tube in the tank. If you are letting bubbles out of the tube then you know you have a problem with your diffuser.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 10:12 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Patience, grasshopper.

Let it sit there for 12 hours without looking at it. Then pick it up and swirl it around a bit, and you should see tiny bubbles coming out of solution, not unlike Champagne.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 10:33 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
All the champagne yeast I've bought has been dead in the package. Unhook the diffuser, put the airline into some water or something so you can check if it's bubbling. Wait a day for the champagne yeast, if nothing happens then your yeast was dead.

I've done the same thing. Made a batch, added champagne yeast, nothing happens 24 hours later. Add some bakers yeast, within a few hours it's going..

That said, I have one of the commercial CO2 reactors, and I have to crank the crap out of the lid to get it tight enough so that it doesn't leak when dealing with the pressure of a CO2 diffuser.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks a lot for the info.. I'll wait the night and see. However my bet is the yeast is dead, going to invest in some bakers yeast and try it. Heard that the longevity of champagne yeast is superior to bakers yeast but may just be more trouble then it's worth. We'll see. More then helpful thanks again.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Just a little update.. Woke up this morning and all concoctions are producing C02!! I am ecstatic! Guess I just needed patience, takes a lot longer to get going then expected. Thanks all.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 02:35 PM
Banned

PTrader: (2/100%)
Ok... From a DIY co2 expert, Lose the soda, de-clor the water, and use baby bath warm water, guarantee you a start in 30 mins!

Chlorine kills yeast!
Warm water and yeast are home boys!
Too much sodium Bicarb. will cause failure. - lose it all together, then go from there! Hope it helps - IME -Aaron

75 gallon "Piranha Kingdom"- wet/dry, FX5, CO2, pH controller, T5HO 4x54, ferts, SunSun Pimp Club Lucky #11, Fluval Pimp Club #17
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 03:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
there is no need to declorinate the water. i never have and never had a problem. lots of chefs, and a few bakers in my family, and they agree. chlorine does kill yeast but not in the concentrations used in tap. and to activate i agree with mr durden up there, warm water NOT HOT, not cold.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 03:02 PM
Banned

PTrader: (2/100%)
What happened to your avatar J? Your box seems empty to me for some reason?!

75 gallon "Piranha Kingdom"- wet/dry, FX5, CO2, pH controller, T5HO 4x54, ferts, SunSun Pimp Club Lucky #11, Fluval Pimp Club #17
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 05:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler79durdan View Post
What happened to your avatar J? Your box seems empty to me for some reason?!
i never put an avatar in...
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Just to add some more info. I found where the problem was. The glass diffusers require about 7-13 psi (the sweet spot) for them to be effective. This was a little to much pressure for the DIY system. I am running it into the powerhead now and it's perfect. So, NO GLASS DIFFUSER! Powerhead most effective way for DIY I believe.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode