I completely ignored this tank for the last month. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/100%)
I completely ignored this tank for the last month.

So I've been less than caring in the past month or so. I ran out of CO2 for about a week, skipped a week of water changes, and dosed randomly for about 2 weeks.

The tank didn't suffer quite as much as I thought it would, but its still pretty bad. Even my snails are growing algae!

Most of the serious issues are coming from the hairgrass, which I blame at least in part on poor flow, and from the rocks and driftwood in the form of BBA. I think the UG is gonna be a loss. Things are in pretty bad shape, so I'm debating on trying to salvage or just pull everything and start over.

The hairgrass would be a nightmare trying to replant, which is probably the biggest thing keeping me from just destroying it all and starting over. The thing is, there is a ton of riccia growing through the grass and I think that is really messing up any water flow through there, helping this snotty stuff to take hold. So potentially a re-do would help me in the long run.

What do you all think I should do?

20g Long
130W PC
Pressurized CO2
Dry Ferts

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 12:06 AM
Banned

PTrader: (2/100%)
nice algaeicus snailatium... or something

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 gallon "Piranha Kingdom"- wet/dry, FX5, CO2, pH controller, T5HO 4x54, ferts, SunSun Pimp Club Lucky #11, Fluval Pimp Club #17
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 12:07 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
That is nothing. My tank which I take care of every day is worse than that.

Zoomed 501 Pimp Club Member

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 12:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
You need to up all your ferts and co2 for all that light.

Filstar pimp#48

24g Aquapod 60w led Pressurized co2 paintball system DIY blacked out stand

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 12:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Put the gas back on it! Syringe some excel on the really ugly stuff. It will come back quicker then it went south with a little TLC (IMO)
What's one hour a week spent on the tank? There's 168 of 'em. Easier and less effort then starting over too.
Gas, trim, dose.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 01:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
It looks like a great looking tank to me. Most of the algae looks like BBA, which is usually pretty easy to pick off with your fingers. I think you will be okay if you just stick with it for a while.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 02:02 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I'd dose some Excel.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/100%)
Laura, I actually basically wrote my name in excel and it is a completely algae free area now, two days later. I'm gonna hit some more areas, but I worry about cooking my shrimp and my blyxa, as neither has held up to the power of excel in my experience.

The UG bothers me too. I'm hoping the gha goes away with dosing and co2, but I think its gonna require some chem warfare before the stuff is gone and that won't be good for the UG.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode