So I live along Lake Michigan, could I.... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
So I live along Lake Michigan, could I....

Could I collect a few small pieces of driftwood for my planted tank, just some twigs or something. I should know better. I would never use the sand or water from the beach, I should know better than to use the wood along the beach....but could I??

AGA 40g Breeder, Ehiem 2233; 4 x 65w PC's; Co2 run during daytime; 100% Flourite substrate; about a dozen different tetra's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 10:40 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
should be fine, just make sure to boil then hell out of them...

I had a customer at the shop get sand from the passaic river and boil it, put it in a cichlid tank and it worked great, so i don't really trust all the hype about not trusting rivers and lakes
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 10:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
I was thinking about taking a trip to one of the lakes (probably Michigan) this summer, to see if I could find any driftwood I liked. You get some cool pieces that come up every once in a while.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Rita Mae Brown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 11:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
Isn't Houghton along Lake Superior? Pretty clean water up there

[
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 11:59 PM
Banned

PTrader: (2/100%)
I was actually thinking about collecting ALOT of sand from Lake Michigan this year for my '10 rescape...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 gallon "Piranha Kingdom"- wet/dry, FX5, CO2, pH controller, T5HO 4x54, ferts, SunSun Pimp Club Lucky #11, Fluval Pimp Club #17
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 12:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Not exactly the same thing but close I'm guessing. Living in Florida we have grass shrimp in our lakes. (LFS call them ghost shrimp) My son and I will net hundreds of them and when I get home they are placed in a 10g QT. Then fed 25-50 into each tank as treats to my angels. Easily thousands added over the years without issues in my aquariums. Also freshwater clams and small mussels along with an odd plant or three have been added into my low tech tank. I think if you look at it with common sense there is no more risk then buying from a LFS or chain store. It all comes from somewhere and the U.S.A. is now better then most at taking care of our waterways.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by billb View Post
Isn't Houghton along Lake Superior? Pretty clean water up there

Forgot to update. I do indeed live in houghton, but am working a contract job for 9 months in Sheboygan, WI. I am 2 blocks from Lake Michigan, can see it from my steps. I found a cool piece of driftwood, a branch in fact that wood have looked good in my tank. I'll go get it tomorrow. I saw a bunch of pieces out there that look great... I'll take some pics.

AGA 40g Breeder, Ehiem 2233; 4 x 65w PC's; Co2 run during daytime; 100% Flourite substrate; about a dozen different tetra's.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 05:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I use sand, rocks and drift wood from my local area.
Just boil, dry out in the sun for months, etc...
over time anything will die.
never had a problem in 7yrs using a ton of the above.

under stock
over filter
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 08:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via AIM to chuukus
I have used driftwood from the great lakes with no problems. I have fund some amazing peices some to big to boil so I just used a steam pressure washer.

The hard part is getting them to sink some of them just wont even after a year of soaking.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode