MWAHAHA! It's alive! (kinda...) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
MWAHAHA! It's alive! (kinda...)

I got my order from Foster and Smith, and I decided to do the hardscape on my tank and check to make sure the cheap crappy filter I ordered and the cheap powerhead worked fine.

Took some fighting with the filter, but I got it running. It's a Tom Rapids Mini canister. I know, I know, they're pretty much junk, but the HOB I had on it before was a LOUD p.o.s., this one is at least quiet. So far, no leaks *knocks on wood*.

The power head was a lot smaller than I thought it would be. It's freaking tiny! Works great, but I haven't hooked up anything to it yet. Hopefully it will work fine for diffusing the DIY co2.

I took some pictures, but the camera hates my laptop, so I'll have to coerce my fiance into helping me download them later.

I FINALLY got this ball rolling! I have plants coming to me next week, and I'll get the rest from my LFS. You guys have no clue how long I've been struggling with just getting this far!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Rita Mae Brown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 03:57 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
awesome ^^ can't wait to see pic of started tank
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 04:08 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Haha, very cool OP, I'm excited for you.

How big is the tank? I know everyone says that filter is a piece of junk, but realistically, if it sucks in water, runs the water through filter media, and puts it back in the tank it's good enough (as long as it's GPH will keep up with your tank), your only worry should be reliability, which isn't a big deal.

January winter brings the cold on me, February breezes blow my worries to sea, and March brings memories remembering pain, but April sweet April you only bring rain.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 02:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
good luck! hope all goes well.

how do you like the rapids mini? i want to set up 9 20g tanks and was thinking about getting that filter for them all.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 03:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
I'm with stpeteplanter. if it works, it works. If it doesnt, beat it with a hammer and get something else...hehe
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

LOL! It's just a ten gallon tank. So far, the filter's still working great! Between it and the powerhead, there's plenty of movement. Of course, the only thing in the tank is a couple pieces of driftwood and Flourite. We'll see how well I have everything set up when I get some plants and stuff into the tank.

Timwang2001- I like the Rapids Mini right now, but then again it hasn't been up and running that long. It came with some weird, dusty, carbon stuff that looked like it came right out of a rats nest. I replaced it with Purigen. Thinking about replacing the ceramic rings that came with it, but then again I've never used ceramic rings before. Then again I've never had a canister filter before either... I'm sure it has nothing on the renas or eheims, but you pay for what you get. I'll probably up-grade to a eheim (sp?) some time in the future, but after I'm no longer broke from setting this puppy up

I'm considering trying out the DIY co2 today. I've never done it before, but I have the bottles all ready, and I want to see how it works. It'll give me time to figure something else out if the powerhead doesn't work.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Rita Mae Brown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 06:08 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
The ceramic is biomedia, and I'd probably just keep what you got.

I've thought about getting one of these for my own 10gal, but I'm probably going to go with an HOB instead...

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yeah, I was considering buying Matrix or de nitrate, but I've already burned a hole through my next paycheck, so I think I'll just stick with the ceramic rings. By the time I could afford buying new biomedia, I'd have to cycle the tank all over again.

So far my filter is doing great. It gets mixed reviews; some people love theirs to no end, others hate it. I quite like the fact that it hangs on the back of my tank; it'd be a royal PITA to put it just about anywhere else right now. I painted the back of my tank black, so you can't see it.

FWIW: Rust-oleum Painter's Touch flat black is the shiz. Taped the tank down good, two coats of paint, took about fifteen minutes in all. Looks smooth through the tank, even though I didn't spray it evenly.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 11:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timwag2001 View Post
good luck! hope all goes well.

how do you like the rapids mini? i want to set up 9 20g tanks and was thinking about getting that filter for them all.
I wouldn't use them for 20g tanks...they simply don't have enough power.

That said, I actually like the Tom Rapids Mini. Small, inexpensive, and most of the time they even work.

Pimp Club Member #313
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 02:12 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captivate05 View Post
Yeah, I was considering buying Matrix or de nitrate
You don't want to de-nitrate a planted tank, you're robbing the plants of food!

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
You don't want to de-nitrate a planted tank, you're robbing the plants of food!
Thank you

Thought about that, but I wasn't sure.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The first plants are in the tank! Two anubias, and both are looking fine. I want to tie some moss to my driftwood, but I'm not sure what kind yet. I think the only one that I can get locally is java moss, but I'm not sure I want to go with that. I would rather do Christmas moss, if I can find some. There some other ones that look cool as well...

I got the DIY co2 up. I was a little concerned at first, as it took the solution about four hours to really start working. But now it is, and next time I might do something a little different.

I made a list of some plants that I really like. Here are some ideas: cabomba carolina, ludwigia peruensis, ludwigia "cuba", wistera, anacharis, corksrew val, java fern, and dwarf hair grass. I may substitute the DHG with HC, but I don't want to go immersed. I already have everything all set up.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 05:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to funkyfish
Can't wait to see your tank

What powerhead did you get? I'm looking for something small since I have very limited space in my 10g...

"There is a fine line between Hobby and Mental illness."
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyfish View Post
What powerhead did you get? I'm looking for something small since I have very limited space in my 10g...
I have an Azoo 180. It isn't very powerful, but it seems to be working fine for diffusing the co2, and keeps a decent circulation going through the tank. I got it from Fosterandsmith.com for ~$10, because my LFS didn't have anything near small enough for my tastes.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 07:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to funkyfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captivate05 View Post
I have an Azoo 180. It isn't very powerful, but it seems to be working fine for diffusing the co2, and keeps a decent circulation going through the tank. I got it from Fosterandsmith.com for ~$10, because my LFS didn't have anything near small enough for my tastes.
Thanks I got to look into that one. I got a power head but it's too big for my 10g and I need some circulation

"There is a fine line between Hobby and Mental illness."

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode